1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

OTHER My Redcat RS10

Discussion in 'Rock Crawlin' Photos' started by rcdude2020, Jul 26, 2013.

1. jaloos

jaloos Mod, Staff Member and Ghetto Fabricator

Media:
    For the record the GT3B and GT3C are the same boards and firmware inside they just made some cosmetic changes to it for the GT3C.
    They also changed the power requirements on the GT3C to a proprietary 1s lipo pack where the GT3B used 8aa batts and ate through them like nothing.
    There a few things that you can do about GT3B to make it better but I would suggest buying the GT3C as allot of the problems with the 3B were addressed.
    The 3C does or had a power button issue but it is fixed real easy with a micro toggle switch.

On both hacking and programming are the same.
    You have the option of doing it yourself, fairly easy to do if you are slightly mechanically inclined and can solder (basically can ya open it up and solder in 4 pins)
    Then its all done by discovery board and computer.

You can do it yourself with the kit Or you can buy one from here pre hacked. Same place sells the kit for you to do it and on the 3C it was super easy.

Welcome to OverkillRC -

I believe you can get them off nitrorcx as well as other online sellers including ebay.

Here is a link to 171 pages of everything you wanted and lots not wanted on the GT3B.

GT3B Hack Question and Answer Thread - RCCrawler

I love the thing and I won't feel too bad when Idrop it on a pile of rocks and destroy it as I didn't pay a bagillion dollars for it.

On a side note there is a hobbyking model that has the same internals and can also be hacked with the same firmware. the info will be in that thread somewhere.

#141 jaloos, Mar 10, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2014
  2. rcdude2020

rcdude2020 Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Looks like there will be a LOT of reading in my near future LOL. I have looked into the fly sky radios before but with all the programming and hacking, it seemed like it wasn't really worth the effort. But I'll have to really read into it, maybe I will have to pick one up. Maybe I can ship it off to someone here on the site and have them hack/program it for me.... Cough, cough, hint, hint, LMAO. But seriously I'll have to see if it will really be worth it for me.

3. RCCustomCat

RCCustomCat New Member

Awesome! Love the build. Good to see someone else having fun with the black sheep haha. I bought an RS10(1st hobby RC) 2 years ago and absolutly love it. Been through alot of changes too. Custom chassis addon for shock mounting and shocks mounted on axles not links(scale shock setup) 2 RC4WD 35T motors, front mounted battery, rear steer locked out, waterproof(balloons) and you can kinda see in the last picthat I cut off the bottom part of the chassis for more clearence(moved the skid plate up and drilled some more holes.
    Oh and Ive also been running a 2s on the stock ESC since I bought the truck and it still runs great.
    Truck looks great bud keep goin.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

#143 RCCustomCat, Mar 10, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2014
  4. rcdude2020

ELiTE MEMBER

Your truck looks pretty sweet to bro. I like how you start out by calling it the "black sheep". The RS10is a great and gets no recognition. I love mine, it's held up great, it's had its issues but those have all been put to rest. I've been thinking about running the RC4WD 35 turns as well, also have played around with shock placement on the axle but I have clearance issues. Could you be so kind as to take a few more pics of the motors and the shocks so I can see how well everything fits for you? I'm always curious to see modded RS10s. Thanks for sharing and look forward to see more of it.

5. RCCustomCat

RCCustomCat New Member

Heres a few more pics of my RS10. The shock is just on the outside of where the link connects, just a longer bolt to thread through it all. I never had a dremel at the time so i just cut the case straight where the motor goes in to allow for the bigger motor, you can cut em all pretty so you dont have the hole on the sides like mine, and i did screw one of them up a little when putting in the new holes. If you ever try it you could try and get some sort of plate in behind the pinion gear to hold the motor. Also the battery is just on a little plastic brace zip tied to the upper links and you can see how I got a little more clearence there in the middle.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. rcdude2020

ELiTE MEMBER

That's awesome, thanks for the extra pics.

7. rcdude2020

ELiTE MEMBER

Made a new addition for the bug today. What do you guys think??

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. buttm0nk3y

buttm0nk3y Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    haha! love the antenna ball!

9. rcdude2020

ELiTE MEMBER

Was playing around with another antenna idea today and came up with this

[​IMG]

10. rcdude2020

ELiTE MEMBER

Picked this up today I figured I'd give it a try for some winch line

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I took the line that was on it and made a scale rope bundle out of it and also made a bundle out of the orange line too and hung them on the back

[​IMG]

I also got some of the tint paint so that I could tint the windows a bit and it turned out bad

[​IMG]

Don't know why it got all the bubbles in it like that. But I guess on another note, I have bad "scale" tint job. Now it looks like half the cars running around town DIY tint job LMAO!!

I've been playing around with a lot of different ideas. One being, relocating the shocks to the axles. Got it all figured out and mounted up, only to find out that I lost almost all articulation and for some reason made my shocks really stiff. I see so many people doing this mod and love it, they say it works great, well it didn't for me.*shruggs* Still trying to figure out how to go about making some scale looking valve stems for the rims. I have a couple ideas, and have seen a couple good examples but nothing showing how they did it. Just pics of what they used and then the end results. Oh well here I go to do some more searching google.

11. rcdude2020

ELiTE MEMBER

Was finally able to get out on the rocks today.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Even took a run down along the beach too

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Before leaving the beach I found a nice sand hill and gave it a good run. Made it up a couple spots but this spot didn't go so well.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Buried her up to the axles and she wouldn't move. The hill is a lot steeper than it looks. Had a good day. Sorry no video though. I also had some time to work on a trailer. It's nothing special or fancy but it will be able to haul some stuff. I'll have it finished it tomorrow and then I'll get some pics.

#151 rcdude2020, Apr 8, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2014
  12. jaloos

Media:
    Awesome that thing is looking pretty killer. I like allot man.

13. rcdude2020

ELiTE MEMBER

Thanks man, it's been lots of work and lots of fun!!

Here's a pic of the trailer I made. Just threw it together with what I had laying around. Just something I can haul stuff around in.

[​IMG]

14. jaloos

Media:
    Looks good man. The tub is kinda big but hey sometimes function wins over form eh.

15. rcdude2020

ELiTE MEMBER

Yeah it's a tad on the big side but I just wanted it for hauling stuff around the yard or whatever, wasn't really looking for anything special. It does the job it was designed for and that's about it, LOL. I do want to make a smaller trailer for pulling out on the trails though. Just have to decide on a design I want.

16. rcdude2020

ELiTE MEMBER

Well its been a while since ive been around. But im back and back in the groove to do some more tinkering and upgrading. Ive finally talked myself into do the 540 mod.

I have decided on the Novak Tera Claw 35t motors. now the only real problem im running into is finding the right pinion gears. I need 48 pitch to match up with my steel gears. but i cant figure out what the shaft size is on the motors. Ive done multipal searches and got different answers and was hoping someone here my be able to help out with this.

Also, debating on sticking with 10 tooth front and back or if I should run 10 in the front and 8 in the back like I have read in other build threads. Or if I should go with a differnt tooth count altogether LOL.

I just need a little insight. if anyone is willing to pass on a bit of knowlage, im all ears and very appriciative. Thanks in advance

#156 rcdude2020, Jun 22, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 22, 2015
  17. rcdude2020

ELiTE MEMBER

So, in my post above, I had mentioned something about seeing on other forums and I believe even here, others talking about running a 10 tooth pinion in the front and an 8 tooth in the back.

Well, today I took it upon myself to give this a try and see what the pros and cons are. Con #1, I put the 8 tooth on and while tightening it down, (hardly at all) and the tip for my .05 wrench snapped. F###K!!! Not happy at all. Con #2 The truck runs like crap. It acts like it has dig in the rear and is half engaged, its a lost cause. Pros to this option?...... NONE!

Would still like to hear some insite on some gearing options. Im not looking to get bullet speed or extreme torque, what im looking for is more wheel speed and better torque.

So hopefully someone is able to help. Thanks guys.

18. darkside0914

darkside0914 Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    im a little confused here . I was thinking of getting some of these axles for a custom build ive been planning, but was told they use 380 size motors ,but I read on here that rc4wd 35t motors are being used on one guys rig and those are 540 size motors, so does this truck accept both size motors, was I misinformed about the stock motor size, or is there a mod that can be done that allows you to use 540 size motors.

rcdude2020 likes this.
  19. rcdude2020

ELiTE MEMBER

Yes these axles are designed for the redcat 380/390 sized motors, plactic gears and all the stock goodies. BUT, like anything else in RC, they can be modified. So I have not done any of the motor mods yet, so I will give you as much info as i can, in regards to the research Ive done.

As for being able to upgrade to larger motors... Yes it can be done. Although it cant be done without some minor to moderate modification to the axles and suspension. One of the most popular options is to run the RC4WD 540 motors. The length of the can is pretty close to being the same length as the stock motors which makes it one of the best options. Although, any 540 motor can be mounted to the stock axles. During my countless hours of research, I have also seen many people that have manages to run 550 and bigger brushed motors as well as brushless set ups (brushless requires running 2 ESCs) successfully without issue.

Like I said, I havent personally done this mod yet, though I have my amain.com, rpphobby.com and rc4wd.com, shopping carts full of parts just waiting to be purchased LOL. I still have a few bug to work out as to my gearing and what not I want to run but I have finally decided to take the leap.

The only real advice I can give other than what Ive mentioned so far is, if you are debating on doing the swap, make sure to do as much research as you can, that way you can understand the work that goes into it. Some people go pretty extreme with this mod and other keep it simple. So far the best sourse of info I have found is on rccrawler.com There you will find a section for redcat models and there you will find unlimited amounts of info, pics, dicussions, videos and more.

Hope I was able to help you out.

20. darkside0914

darkside0914 Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    yeah you did thanks for the info, and clearing up my confusion.

rcdude2020 likes this.