1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My Slash 2WD Rebuild/upgrade

Discussion in 'Short Course' started by Moose, Oct 8, 2012.

1. Moose

Moose Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

About a month back at the beginning of my RC addiction I hit up Craigslist for a used Slash to bash and possibly race. At first glance it was in ok shape knowing I would be doing some work on it I had no problem with it. Once I replaced the fried stock ESC it ran great but does need upgrades so this thread is about the rebuild/upgrade of my Slash 2WD.

As I bought it
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

MIP HD Axles, RPM A-Arms stock 3500kv motor with 106t 48p spur and a 19t pinion
    [​IMG]

This is the shape of the shocks after I took them off. Just a bit bent up I would say. Oh and the fronts dont have bladders come to find out they used silicone gasket seal. these are being rebuilt while I wait for my PL Power strokes to get here.
    [​IMG]

2. Greenie

Greenie VillAge iDioT
    ELiTE MEMBER

good to see its got RPM arms!!!
    but man, i dont think those Shockies are up for much racing!!!!! LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

3. Moose

ELiTE MEMBER

So here is a picture of the tare down.
    [​IMG]

My first trip to my LHS.
    http://imageshack.us/a/img832/2376/imag05861.jpg

New Pro Trac kit from Pro-line, Aluminum caster blocks, steering knuckles, and rear baring carrier all by STRC in gunmetal. then the new stock Traxxas bulkhead old one was stripped out. The Pro Trac kit makes the truck 20mm wider. supposed to be more stable. I guess well see. Kept the RPM A-arms just in case I dont like them.
    [​IMG]

RPM skid plates
    [​IMG]

A fresh Stainless Steel hardware kit, rebuilt shocks, new hinge pins and rod ends. The rear baring carriers in the box are the ones that came with the Pro Trac kit but I wont be using them.
    [​IMG]

Oh yeah Lets build! :on fire:
    [​IMG]

#3 Moose, Oct 8, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2012
  4. SamsRC4U

SamsRC4U Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

That rig is gonna clean up great. What ESC are you/did you get? :want:

5. Moose

ELiTE MEMBER

The ESC is a Turnigy Trackstar short course 120A. ($58 at hobbyking USA warehouse)

After putting on the Pro Trac kit I had to order new MIP Stampede drive shafts cause the Slash ones are too short. Waiting on more parts for this build like the new Pro-Line Gladiator SC tires and the new body and drive shafts mentioned above. Oh almost forgot to mention the Pro-Line Power stroke shocks coming for the front and rear.

#5 Moose, Oct 10, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 15, 2012
  6. Moose

ELiTE MEMBER

The new front end assembled.
    [​IMG]

Rear end assembled.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

After shot of the bottom with new skids.
    [​IMG]

Mock up with the Stock tires/wheels. Oh yeah its a bit wider.
    [​IMG]

7. ouchman

ouchman Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

looking good

8. SamsRC4U

SamsRC4U Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

#8 SamsRC4U, Oct 11, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2012
  9. Moose

ELiTE MEMBER

Thought about doing the dye but I might not be keeping that chassis long. I might be buying a new chassis but Rustler so I can put the STRC LCG kit on my truck and that one I will dye.

The parts fairy came to my house today. I can now continue the upgrade/rebuild.
    [​IMG]

10. Moose

ELiTE MEMBER

So here is the latest update to my rebuild/upgrade. Finished the front end with new shocks and PL Gladiator tires.

[​IMG]

The rear with new MIP CVD driveshafts. Had to use the driveshafts for the stampede due to the extended A arms of the Pro Trac kit. Rebuilt and cleaned Transmission with new RPM cover in black instead of Blue.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Next will be body and bumpers. I did Pick up a Rustler chassis for the STRC LCG kit .

11. badmonkey269

badmonkey269 Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

very cool build moose i had a 2wd slash i use to race.i had the vxl3s esc in mine with a novak 17.5T brushless ballistic. i did the all blue aluminum traxxas and rpm up-grades to mine.very sweet truck you are building man!

12. Moose

ELiTE MEMBER

Update:

Today I ordered my LCG Kit by STRC. I already went to my LHS and picked up the Rustler chassis I'll be needing for the conversion. So I hope by this time next week I will be putting it on my slash.

My PL body and body mounts came in the mail this weekend so I have that to work on till the LCG kit gets here. Youll have to wait to see the body though.

13. Moose

ELiTE MEMBER

I got my LCG kit in the mail today so I should be putting that together Sunday night. I will be posting it on here but I think I will also make a new thread just on the installation of the LCG kit from STRC.

Here are all the parts needed minus the slash itself...
    [​IMG]

The LCG kit by STRC
    [​IMG]

Oh and here is a sneak peak the the new body.
    [​IMG]

14. ScaleBasher

ScaleBasher Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Thats one of the bodys that I have been considering for my slash lol If I cant find a stepside chevy that is. Your truck is lookin pretty pimp I cant wait to see it with the LCG installed and see a running video! Maybe a review of it too? I know Im wanting to get one for my sons slash just may get put on the back burner till after his birthday.

15. Moose

ELiTE MEMBER

Yeah I ordered the body direct from Pro-Line due to the availability issues with this body. Pro-line was sold out and just got it back in stock when I ordered. I also got my new wheels and tires glued so all the pictures from here out will have those on. I'm really looking forward to testing out the handling once this whole thing is done.

16. WeeManWTF

WeeManWTF Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Just be aware that I read a few things that said that the LCG kit shortened wheelbase by 11(?) mm. just so you know.

17. Moose

ELiTE MEMBER

I have not cut the body yet so not too much of a worry yet. I will measure before and after and let you know the truth about that.

#17 Moose, Oct 19, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 19, 2012
  18. Moose

ELiTE MEMBER

Okay I lied! I could not wait till the weekend. I dont think I will be doing a separate thread ether this was just too easy. So to awnser your Question WeeManWTF yes the wheel base is shorter but on mine it ended up only being about 4mm (1/8-3/16 inch) shorter wheelbase, and with the body on you cant hardly notice the difference in length.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG]

So there it is with the LCG kit installed now I have to take the front back off and install the servo. Once that is finished I will transfer the electronics over from the old chassis.

19. ScaleBasher

ScaleBasher Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

that is looking so sweet! Those tires and rims are the ones I was just looking at in the hobby shop an hour ago lol But Im leaning towards the stock tread pattern or something thatll last a while on pavement, rock, dirt, and mud of course lol

20. Moose

ELiTE MEMBER

Oh boy this build has gone too far. I was looking over my truck tonight before eating dinner, and I have noticed in my intoxication of the RC hobby :omg: I have just shy of built a brand new Slash 2WD. As my truck sits right now the only original parts on it are the Bell crank for steering, Servo, and motor. Everything else is new down to the bolts. I have not been brave enough to look at all the invoices to see what this has cost me. In the end I will have this truck and a refurbished rolling Slash chassis. :dizzy: