1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MY X900 Tricopter Build Thread

Discussion in 'Multi-Rotor' started by 00whynot, Jan 4, 2014.

1. 00whynot

00whynot Moderator
    Staff Member MODERATOR

Media:
    Hey all. I finnaly got all my parts in. I worked on this beast all last night after work and all of tonight. id have got it running too if it was not for them damn little things forgot to order. [well i figured they were included]
    Here is my progress on the build so far.

first off the parts.
    [​IMG]
    1 x OrangeRx R615 Spektrum/JR DSM2 Compatible 6Ch 2.4Ghz Receiver
    1 x Hobbyking KK2.1 Multi-rotor LCD Flight Control Board With 6050MPU And Atmel 644PA
    3 x 3.5mm Male/Female Bullet Brushless Motor Extension Lead 100mm
    3 x MT2213-935KV MultiStar Motor and Propeller Combo 10-4.5 CW CCW
    3 x Turnigy Multistar 20 Amp Multi-rotor Brushless ESC 2-4S (OPTO)
    1 x HobbyKing Micro UBEC 3A / 5v

and
    1 x Hobbyking X900 Tricopter Glass Fiber Multi-Rotor Frame
    [​IMG]

I started the build right away. It took a bit of fussing about but i got the frame together. It was missing 2 bearings for the tail motor mount. and one of the linkage ends was defective. there was no hole to thread the rod into. i fixed it with a torch and small piece of wire.
    [​IMG]

here it is with all the motors and esc's mounted. Its lookin pretty sharp i think.
    [​IMG]

I did not have the proper sized servo so i did some hole stretching and slipped in a larger servo. this one is just a do for now.
    [​IMG]

This Tricopter iw way larger than i pictured in my mind. Here it is beside my I-FLY4 Quadcopter.
    [​IMG]

This is the point where i called it a night.

2. 00whynot

00whynot Moderator
    Staff Member MODERATOR

Media:
    Then the moment I got home i soldered up some power wires.
    [​IMG]

Here they are ale taped up. I found this really awesome rubber tape like stuff at the dollar store. its nice and thick.
    [​IMG]

I ran all the power wires inside the body of the frame to keep it looking cleaner. and mounted up the kk2.1 board.
    [​IMG]

This is the point i got to when I realized what i had forgotten. I did not get the receiver wires to run to the flight controller from the receiver. Im gonna have to hit up the local hobby shop and overpay for some so i can get this rig running.
    Either that or wait another month and a half for some to ship to me.
    Here is a little closer look at the board.
    [​IMG]

here is another shot of it beside my large quad. This thing is gonna be sweet.
    [​IMG]

3. Tmoon

Tmoon Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

why did you need a bec? doesn't the 3 escs have a bec? you only need to disconnect 2 out of the 3.

4. 00whynot

00whynot Moderator
    Staff Member MODERATOR

Media:
    I had to get the opto version of the esc which have no bec. the ones with bec built in them were sold out when i went to order.

5. lunithy

lunithy New Member

Awesome mate ... don't kill me I looked at these
    [​IMG]
    I was going to get one of these so I will be watching :sweat:

6. 00whynot

00whynot Moderator
    Staff Member MODERATOR

Media:
    Yea them one fit right inside the tube. I actually had everything planned before those came out. And the esc set I chose was designed for the motor/ prop combo I got. Also and most importantly the color matched. Lol
    I've got plans for a body to protect the flight controller too that should be fun :)

7. 00whynot

00whynot Moderator
    Staff Member MODERATOR

Media:
    We'll the hobby shop did not have the cables I need, so I stole them temporarily from my quad. Man oh man are these things touchy. Took me a while but I managed to get it sorted out to the point it would fly with auto level on. It was not very stable tho. I think the settings for the gyro needs tuning. I likely messed it up when I was trying to figure it out. I tried watching vids but that did me no real good so I just started making adjustments to see what they affect. Gonna go back over it tomorow. HK actually has a walk through for thekk2 on the x900.

I had my wife take a quick vid of the first flight. Gonna get up a little early and upload that to YT. Then I'll post it up here.
    I think i did pretty alright for my first try. Even with the severe lack of space I have to test fly. Lol.

8. 00whynot

00whynot Moderator
    Staff Member MODERATOR

Media:
    got the vid together.

#8 00whynot, Jan 6, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2015
  9. 00whynot

00whynot Moderator
    Staff Member MODERATOR

Media:
    got a cute pic of my kids holding the tri copter. Im waiting on a new tail servo for outdoor testing.

there were so happy when i let them hold it.
    [​IMG]

10. 00whynot

00whynot Moderator
    Staff Member MODERATOR

Media:
    Ive still not had a chance to try this outside. the servos i had for the tail were plastic gear and could not hold up to the stress.
    the longest flight ive got out of it was for the video i posted earlier.

the only other thing that was stopping me from trying it outside is the snow. so i made a little body to shield the flight controller a little.
    Its made from dollar store foam board.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    I put a window in the top so i could read the display. cant wait for my metal gear servo to arive.

11. 00whynot

00whynot Moderator
    Staff Member MODERATOR

Media:
    Had her out for a test flight today. worked pretty well. still need to get the gains set better.
    found another servo to use on the tail motor so i decided to see how the tri worked outside.
    Ive got some funky things going on but im hoping someone out there can help me sort it out.
    im sure it just gyro gain settings. but im very new to flight control boards.
    overall it worked well. but it has a slow wobble to it. that i can really get sorted out indoors. id have messed with it outside but its -29c with a wind chill of 140c. lol
    The camera was held strait on the frame with an elastic. once i get her flying better ill worry about smoothing out the camera.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    took these pics myself while testing her out. lol

here is the video from the first outdoor test flight.

Im gonna isolate the flight control board from vibrations and see if it helps.

#11 00whynot, Jan 22, 2014
  12. 00whynot

00whynot Moderator
    Staff Member MODERATOR

Media:
    Hey all. after the dip in the snow last trip out i decided to weather proof my copter a bit. so i added a tupperware container over the flight control board and reciver. mounted them on some foam pads to reduce vibrations.
    silliconed the esc's and the bec. so i should be able to fly ths beast in the snow or rain now if i so desire. lol
    and i do.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

makin progress on the settings aswell. seems i need to set everything very low. maybe its because of my higher kv motors?
    probably gonna do a little paint on the tupperware. we will see.

13. TeK

TeK the 1/5th Scale BOSS
    ELiTE MEMBER

Crazy. Never seen a tri rotor before. Cool.

14. 00whynot

00whynot Moderator
    Staff Member MODERATOR

Media:
    So I had her out this morning and tonight. Its getting much more stable now. still got some tweeking to do. but check her out.its much smoother than the last time out.

I added some lights to her tonight after work and took her out in a snow storm. the wind was light and it made for a fun time. looks like my waterproofing works. lol

#14 00whynot, Jan 26, 2014
  15. 00whynot

00whynot Moderator
    Staff Member MODERATOR

Media:
    latest video of her in action. its still not perfect. ive got everything turned almost all the way down.
    at the end of the video the battery adapter looses conection.
    :/

#15 00whynot, Feb 7, 2014
  16. 00whynot

00whynot Moderator
    Staff Member MODERATOR

Media:

First flight since the crash. i tuned it a bit more. its working pretty good.

getting her sorted back out. Im still waiting on the metal gear servo for the tail. hobby king is taking there sweet time with the orders.
    I tweaked some of the settings. seems to have improved the performance. i also balance one of the motors. the other two were nearly perfect already.

#16 00whynot, Feb 8, 2014
  17. 00whynot

00whynot Moderator
    Staff Member MODERATOR

Media:
    Finally got my metal gear servos in. It works a thousand times better. I also got some cheap blades. and they preform much better. they even sound quieter.
    gonna order some more with my next hobbyking order.
    This video is with the new blades and the metal gear servo.

The day after i filmed this video i made a small change to the PI settings. and its much more steady. I even managed to pull a flip or two out of my butt. i just gotta stop throttling down mid flip. lol
    hopefully a little more action in the next one.

#17 00whynot, Feb 18, 2014
  18. 00whynot

00whynot Moderator
    Staff Member MODERATOR

Media:
    looks like pretty much everything you should need. id recommend an external BEC and bypass the built in ones. and you will definitely need the extra wires. get 2 to be safe.
    one thing you missed tho.
    https://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=23036
    you will need these to connect the flight controller to your receiver.

as for a battery ive just got a pair of these and am loving them.
    http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=38516

#19 00whynot, Feb 18, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2014
  19. Sloth

Sloth New Member

Thank you for your input I have never built one before and thats why I came here.

As far the battery how long can you fly for before it dies on you?

And thank you again.