1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

need a good motor and esc for a 1/8 mt

Discussion in 'General Electronics' started by koleby hooser, Dec 20, 2016.

1. koleby hooser

koleby hooser New Member

im gonna get a monster truck kit and i need a good motor and esc any suggestions

2. mudholestomper

mudholestomper Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

since you didn't indicate what your budget was, I'll give you what I use and what most consider to be the Cadillac of ESCs:

Tekin RX-8 Gen2 - will do anything and everything that a modern ESC is expected to do, and much more - will handle brushed and brushless (any size, sensored and non-sensored) motors and up to 6S Lipo power without breaking a sweat - it does have one "deal breaker" flaw for some folks: as it was designed as a top of the line racing ESC, it is NOT waterproof - however, a quick search on YouTube will yield a jillion tutorial videos telling you how to waterproof it - so, if you want the finest ESC money can buy, get a Tekin RX-8 Gen2 and then go own your buddies all day while mocking their lesser speed controls

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. mudholestomper

mudholestomper Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

As for the motor, Tekin also makes serious sensored brushless motors that are as good as it gets

However, while the esc is not a mechanical device and has no moving parts and should last a long, long time, get a great one and use it for any vehicle

The motor will wear out so I would get a quality brand, sensored motor, but I don't think for a MT, it is necessary to get a very spendy racing motor from Tekin

Now, the Tekin motors are designed to be rebuilt/repaired and Tekin fully supports them and can supply you with new bearings, different style rotors, etc (you can buy every single part for the motor, like endbells, hall sensors, etc)

but they are pricey and I think for a bashing vehicle, you can get a hobbywing/turnigy/leopard/or even get a motor on eBay that came from a RTR vehicle (like a traxxas/castle/arrma/hpi/losi/associated/etc

I've had great luck with Duratrax motors as well as hobbywing - castle makes great motors and, while they've not had any sensored motors forever, they recently started offering a sensored motor lineup

lastly is my ultimate sleeper pick: the venerable SkyRC Toro X8S/X8ST 1/8 scale 6-pole sensored motors

I have an X8S 2350kv in my brushless emaxx and on 4S it is absurdly fast and I actually feel guilty about what it's doing to the tires and the entire drivetrain of the truck while I'm driving it

The X8S is made for 1/8 scale buggies but has so much power on 4s in my emaxx that I had to turn down the punch on the ESC very low or it was shredding gears, driveshafts, and diffs in high traction situations

The X8ST is a larger motor can and is designed for truggy use - if your vehicle can withstand the brutality of a huge racing motor, it's better to run the larger X8ST with a lower kv rating at a higher voltage in a heavy, big-tired, 4x4 MT

but trust me, the smaller X8S is more than capable of delivering way more power than you'll ever be able to use in your truck - so either one is a good choice

And SkyRC makes high quality electronics and is the same company as HiTec

BTW, what vehicle are you building?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk