1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need help making a RC choice

Discussion in 'RC Chat, Tutorials, Ideas, Requests, Etc' started by Slimjr331, Mar 16, 2011.

1. Slimjr331

Slimjr331 Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

I looking to get a New RC truck.I have it down to 3 choices.Traxxas Rustler XL-5,HPI Racing Blitz, or the Associated RC10t4.1 brushed.They all cost around the same price and right now i can get $25 off an RC.I am not looking to race the RC.Just looking for a durable truck that I can bash.If anyone has suggestions or owned one of these RC's and can tell some things about them.It would be helpful.Thanks, Mike

2. imtowman

imtowman <b>RCSparks Addict</b> <br />
    ELiTE MEMBER

Hey Mike Ive got a nitro Rustler,4 Tec, a electric Summit and a Grinder. Could say im a fan of traxxas. The hobby shop Home - Ultimate RC Hobby Shop I work at carries alot of traxxas parts in stock too. Im a little bias but you should go with whatever is easier for you to get parts cause at sometime you will break something.

Mike

3. momobagodonuts

momobagodonuts Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Well the Rustler has been a top seller for many years - I've had mine since '95. Hasn't really changed much. And I love my T-4. The Blitz is also a great rig. If I were starting out all over again and knowing what I know now , I'd say go with the Stampede. They are extremely durable with just a few upgrades and share so many interchangable parts with the Slash and Rustler. You can convert one to the other with very few parts - chassis, body mounts, and body. The trannys are bulletproof and take some serious abuse. Really the only upgrades you'll need are bearings, aluminum shock caps beacause the plastic ones tend to pop off on hard landings. The next upgrades on the list should be front and rear aluminum bearing carriers and caster blocks. Those are pretty much standard upgrades on anything not just Traxxas products.

The T-4 is geared toward racers and it shows. They handle like they're on rails but durability suffers a little bit. And a stock Blitz will wipe the floor with a stock Slash but sits lower and therefore isn't as basher friendly. The Stampede has plenty of ground (grass) clearance and enough aftermarket parts to make your head spin. Love my Pede :cool: Keep us informed and I'll help out every opportunity I have.

4. Slimjr331

ELiTE MEMBER

Thanks guys.I going to look into the stampede.I am leaning more towards getting a traxxas truck.Just dont know which one yet.From the info you guys gave me and some that i found on my own, the Blitz and the RC10t4 are more like racers.I think Traxxas suits my kind of Bashing.I 'll let you guys know which one i get.I have to make my decision by tommorrow.I would love to get a Nitro truck.I just don't know anything about them.I will get a Nitro truck in the future.Once i learn more about them.How is the Nitro Rustler Mike.

5. imtowman

imtowman <b>RCSparks Addict</b> <br />
    ELiTE MEMBER

Mine is kinda old and beat up haven't ran it in a few years but it took a licking and kept on ticking. Right now i need a new radio for it got the receiver wet and it quit on me. Its still got a trx 15 in it so the newer ones should scream when compared to it. If you can stop buy the store Sat i should be there all day. Let me know and ill make sure i bring the rustler up so you can check it out.

6. RobscoRC

RobscoRC Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

I think your looking the right way. Traxxas stuff is usually very durable and easy to work on. Theres nothing wrong at all with associated and losi products, but in my opinion there more catered to the racers. Im a basher at heart too, and I use traxxas.

7. Slimjr331

ELiTE MEMBER

Thanks for all the info guys.I deicided to get a traxxas Stampede.Just not sure if i get the XL-5 or the VXL Brushlees.If i get the VXL Brushless Stampede i will have to save more money.Since i am layed off right now it could be at least another month before i get the VXL Stampede.I can get the XL-5 right now.I got enough for the XL-5 right now.I need to think about it.I was thinking of upgraded the XL-5 Stampede anyway if i got it.So i might just wait and get the VXL stampede.Alright i thought about it.As of right now i think i'll wait.This month is going to take forever.Thanks guys.

8. momobagodonuts

momobagodonuts Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

A wise decision. You will not be disappointed. Keep us posted.

9. jeremy878785

jeremy878785 Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

rustler rustler rustler!!!!!

10. 10 Gauge

10 Gauge <b>X-TreMe BaShEr! </b>
    ELiTE MEMBER

Rustler VXL. :). They are sick setup for 70+mph. The sound as it whizzes by is pretty intense. Hehe

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. RobscoRC

RobscoRC Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

If your still waiting your probably better off holding for the brushless, everyone I know says it's a BEAST.. Atleast having the option or lipos gives you more variety. You could get a high end 2 cell, which keeps the power very high, but wont be insane and will quick charge and have longer run times. I put a thunder power 100c 3 cell in my slash and it's actually to much for bashing.. Does 82 km/h.. It's hard to keep on the wheels.

12. frankiecmgt

frankiecmgt New Member

Get the vxl rustler...not the stamped. The stamped is to top heavy and likes to roll-over and wheelie alot. Also...the front of the chassie is really weak and will snap if you land on the nose from a jump. The rustler is a much more durable truck, it is lower to the grownd,more stable at speed and just a more fun truck to bash with.