1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need help with link assembly

Discussion in 'Newbie Q & A' started by Dr. 4x4, Feb 26, 2017.

1. Dr. 4x4

Dr. 4x4 Well-Known Member

Hello everybody,

I feel like a real idiot asking, but I am stuck trying to assemble the links on my SCX10 ii kit. Am I missing something or doing something wrong here? I cannot for the life of me get the plastic end pieces to screw on flush to the link arms.

Here is a pic:
    [​IMG]

I dont know if I need a vise, or what why the hell I cant get these to twist on any more.

Thanks in advance for the help!!

2. G-RACER5150

G-RACER5150 Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Yes, you got it , a vise is a must have , especially for those .They can be a pain in the butt, take your time.The vise should make it alot easier.Just get a small cheap one from home depot.Enjoy!

Antho11 likes this.
  3. Antho11

Antho11 Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    You could also try threading the rod end with a screw with the same threads. Or you can use a tapping set.

4. soup

soup Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Rather than a vice on its own (which MAY mar the finish) use some sort of cushioning between the vice jaws and the shaft of the link or if you have them availlable (beg, borrow, steal or even invest in a pair for the workshop) use shock shaft pliers to hold the shaft whilst you turn on the rod ends . Remember too that one of the rod ends has a left hand thread. <Ignore looks like those links are not the adjustable length kind

https://www.teamassociated.com/news/latest_products/1543-NEW_Factory_Team_Shock_Shaft_Pliers

#4 soup, Feb 27, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2017
  5. Skyviewap

Skyviewap Active Member

Media:
    Keep in mind also that the threaded rod has an open end (usually) to put an allan driver in. I personally, thread the rod into the plastic ball end first, then into the metal link. It doesn't hurt to measure the threaded rod against the plastic part first to determine how far you wish to thread it in.