1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need some help!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Pilots Lounge' started by sundropjr, Oct 11, 2011.

1. sundropjr

sundropjr New Member

I have always use glow engins in my planes. I want to try electric but i don tknow what size motors to run. Need help!!!!!!!!

2. RobscoRC

RobscoRC Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Well it depends on the size of aircraft your using. Im currently converting one of my old Nitro stunt planes to electric and its the first "Conversion" iv done, but iv been flying electric for years, so what kind and size of aircraft are you converting? What engine size does it have already? I'll help in any way I can

3. sundropjr

sundropjr New Member

Everything i got runs on 40-46 size. I have never flew electric. I figured i would give it a try and see how it works out for me.

4. RobscoRC

RobscoRC Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Well theres a few ways of going about it. Electrifly and OS both label there electric motors according to there nitro companion, for example my Cap 232 nitro used a .46 size engine, so I decided to use a .55 size electric motor. Thats a good place to start, one thing to think about is that you must have at least 250 watt's per pound to have a powerful plane.. I think thats how the math goes, I know for my plane I need at least 1000 watts, so I am building my power system around that. Google "Castle Creations Prop Calculator" to start playing around with motor's, props' and speed controllers and find out what kind of setup you need. Mine looks like the rimfire .55 motor, 14x7 prop, and a 120 amp speed controller on a 6 cell lipo battery, weighting in around 9.5 pounds total. Thats a rough for now, i'll know more as I keep progressing. This is how I got started though. Goodluck

4mods likes this.