1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New 6x6

Discussion in 'Road Giants 6x6/8x8/10x10' started by BenFink, Jan 31, 2017.

1. BenFink

BenFink Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    For whatever reason I have gotten extremely interested in making a custom 6x6. I have enough experience in R/C cars to know generally where to start but it will be my first custom build. This will also, possibly, be my first build log.

While I work on the plans I have one question, is there an easy place to find a diff set up that passes through for the center tires?

2. Hottaco92

Hottaco92 Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

What axels are you planning on using

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

3. BenFink

ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    I am figuring that out right now.

4. Hottaco92

ELiTE MEMBER

Oh ok I'm running the ar60 axels and it's really easy to get the stuff to make a through axel

BenFink likes this.
  5. Hottaco92

ELiTE MEMBER

[​IMG]

BenFink likes this.
  6. darkside0914

darkside0914 Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    depends on the axles you plan to use, you can go with 3 moa axles like I did on my monster 6x6, or ar60s like @Hottaco92 did on this build, rc4wd has a couple sets of axles made for a 6x6 or you can use 2 input halves of an scx10 axle, each has it's good and bad points, 3 moa axles require at least 2 esc to drive the 3 motors, I personally thought they were an easier solution for my build as I was going for power, the good part is there's no central tranny so no drive shafts and if one motor/axle fails you still have the other 2 to carry you home it also means you can make it as big as you want with only the motor wires needing run to each axle, the down side is with 2 esc you have to run 2 batteries or make a y wire to connect both esc to 1 battery, you also need a y wire to connect both to your receiver or use 2 receivers on one radio, the ar60s have a stock axial rear output available that replaces the cover and bearing retainers, you will need 4 longer screws 2 bearings and an axle input shaft/pinion gear, you will need to move the main gear of your 3rd axle so it drives in the same direction as the other 2, the output goes in reverse on the center axle, you'll also want beefier tranny gears as it would put more stress on the single tranny, the rc4wd axles are ready made for a 6x6, with scx10 axles you just take 2 input halves, shave off the little lip at the seam where they go together and put them together like a standard scx10 axle, the entire rear axle in this case would need to be flipped, same as with the ar60s the rear output on the center axle is reversed, with any of the shaft driven axles you are somewhat limited by drive shaft lengths, but as Hottico92 proved here you can build a big bad 6x6 with shafty axles.

BenFink likes this.
  7. BenFink

ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    Any opinions on these from rc4wd? I couldn't find the rear version of these. I am not sure if I will be using these since they probably don't support the use of suspension.

http://store.rc4wd.com/Scale-Semi-Truck-Middle-Axle-with-Locking-Differential-Blue_p_3791.html (middle)
    http://store.rc4wd.com/Scale-Semi-Truck-Front-Axle-Blue_p_3825.html (front)

Do most people take a truck and modify it to be 6x6 or build it completely custom?

I personally would like to go with 1/8 scale but since it is a 6x6 1/10 scale should do fine.

I am getting some materials soon so I can figure out the planning a lot better. Ill just be looking here and will only post once I get something more for you guys.

#7 BenFink, Feb 1, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2017
  8. darkside0914

darkside0914 Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    the semi axle would need either a leaf spring setup or something like this http://store.rc4wd.com/Scale-Rear-Suspension-System-for-Tamiya-114-Semi-Trucks_p_3574.html and you're not going to get a whole lot of articulation out of the semi setup, if you're willing to spend that much for a single axle you'd probably be better off going with these http://store.rc4wd.com/Yota-II-Ultimate-Scale-Cast-Axle-Center-Rear_p_2971.html or possibly these http://store.rc4wd.com/Worminator-6x6-Narrow-Axle-Rear_p_541.html, going 8th scale would be easier if you took the ar60(wraith axle) route plus parts for them are available just about everywhere and they are pretty tough another plus is stock ar60s are around $120 a pair depending on where you get them, I get mine on ebay usually from rc recycler. as for building it, some just extend an scx10 chassis, others build one from scratch, i'm using this one on my f150 6x6 build http://www.ebay.com/itm/Rc-Offroad-...e50fac5&pid=100005&rk=1&rkt=6&sd=322384016661

#8 darkside0914, Feb 1, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2017
    lout likes this.
  9. lout

lout Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    If your wanting to build a semi in 1/8th scale you may be looking at dualies on the rear axles. In this case I would look at the wraith axle for the steering and then two AR60 SCX10/AX10 rear axles and mod one to be a through axle with the addition of a second shell half and pinion gear.

The wraith axle scales out at 1909mm hex to hex in eight scale, which is 15cm (when scaled up) smaller than the average track width of a prime mover front axle of 2050mm. And given that most of the offsets on the wheels are positive this works out exactly right :)

This is the approach I will be using when I eventually get that far in my project list.

10. potatocat

potatocat Well-Known Member

Hi all,
    I did something like this but I used Tamiya Jugg2/TXT axles. The through axle part was not what I would consider 'easy' though. It only needs one part- a through shaft which I had to machine myself, but aside from that the rest of it was very straightforward. I'll have to take a look back for some older photos when I was building the truck... but it may be accomplished without having to make a new shaft... a coupler might do it. If you're looking for a very large axle to use that would probably be a good choice, but they are probably a bit on the expensive side. Looks like they are on eBay now for about $110 apiece...

11. Mark Liersch

Mark Liersch Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    RC4WD also makes a repro Blackwell military axle that can be used for a 6x6...you can get an optional pass through for the 1st of the two rear axles. They're an amazing looking axle, with a "diff brake" on them. They can be mounted with a link set up, or leaf spring... Solid metal, and fairly beefy... Check 'em out.

12. Mark Liersch

ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
  13. Dazed

Dazed Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

RC4WD Blackwell axles are Awesome but very pricey and they don't come with suspension or shock mounts. When I added up the cost of axles, mounts, links and shocks it was more expensive than buying the original Beast 6x6! ($899 usd!!)

14. Mark Liersch

ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    Dang. Can you live with one kidney?

15. Mark Liersch

ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    So... The SCX10 axles work quite well, and literally cost a fraction of that...

16. Mark Liersch

ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    I've got a set of plans all drawn up and tucked away for a future 6x6 build, and I'd really like to do it with the Blackwells, so I should start saving now, so I can start my build by my 65th birthday... I can do it if I buy a set of axles and link mounts every couple of months, so it may take a year or so to put together a big enough pile of parts to start the build... Maybe take two years from start to finish. No big deal... I spent 8 months putting my Wraith together. I'm in no hurry... Those axles are just too damn sexy too pass up.

17. Dazed

ELiTE MEMBER

I agree, that's why I bought the original Beast 6x6 when it was still available. Not Cheap but just to damn nice to pass up. Saved for a few months and used my tax return for the rest. Honestly not sure if it was worth it but I love it just the same.

Mark Liersch likes this.
  18. Mark Liersch

ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    I tried getting one myself..."Discontinued..." Dang it. But it will be built, with all three axles steering. Hopefully before I am too old too walk behind it...

19. sean9860

sean9860 New Member

Hey guys,

I don't mean to hijack this thread, but this thread seemed fitting for my topic and I'm not sure how to start a new thread.

Anyways, I'm new to this hobby and could use some help with a build. I am wanting to build a 6X6 tow truck and I don't know where to start. I am wanting it to be military style, military axles and what not. Some help on where to start would be appreciated.

20. Dazed

ELiTE MEMBER

Hi Sean, Welcome to RC Sparks!! :haveaniceday:To start a thread use the button at the top of the page in the correct area...

[​IMG]

It sounds like you have a good concept already so how can we help? If your looking for some inspiration I'd recommend checking out some builds by @Freddy ...

http://www.rcsparks.com/forum/threads/big-6x6-truck.27052/
    http://www.rcsparks.com/forum/threads/maz-537.36918/

If you have a technical question or are in need of help with the design or layout feel free to start a thread and I'm sure people will try to help as much as we can! Good Luck and I hope to see you around the boards!