1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New Ascender k10 first scale rc

Discussion in 'Scale Truck Chat' started by 76popsbrock, Dec 25, 2016.

1. Mark Liersch

Mark Liersch Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    Combine the short wheelbase, the amazing steering, and the lower CG I have in it now, and it is probably one of the most nimble trucks I have...

Sent from my SM-T560NU using Tapatalk

2. spawn

spawn Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    hope to get mine in a month or 2 have 2 much axial rc around ax10 deadbolt,wraith,3 scx10 it will be k5 chevy all the way lol

3. Mark Liersch

ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    You can never have "too much" Axial stuff...lol

walter likes this.
  4. killerbyrd14

killerbyrd14 Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

This thread has just been totally hijacked

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. killerbyrd14

ELiTE MEMBER

Kit or rtr?

6. spawn

ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    no not hijacked its for ascender lol . not sure what u guys think love building but if there is know diff then might go kit

7. Mark Liersch

ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    Go for the kit. When you are done building it, you'll literally know your rig inside out...

8. killerbyrd14

ELiTE MEMBER

I think kit also includes all the spacers and stuff for diff wb

Mark Liersch likes this.
  9. spawn

ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    yea thats what i was thinkin

Mark Liersch likes this.
  10. Mark Liersch

ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    Here's a couple more pics of the "low CG Ascender"....[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

DodgeZippy and Y2daT like this.
  11. Y2daT

Y2daT Over Powered RC
    ELiTE MEMBER

this is not my video but is how i water proof my receiviers . . after setting up the fail safe ive never had a failure on 3 scx-10s done this way and all have gone submarine mode ...
    as for the truck itself if you pack the transmission and axle housings 90% full of grease it will prevent water from entering as easy and prolong bearing and gear life .. some prefer thick marine grease , but i like the white lithium due to its low friction rate .. and use PB blaster on exposed bearings and joints .. of course this will void warranty's but snow will melt and things will get wet ... and ive heard from others about differental gear failures in the vatteras but they sell a HD set that will stay together so keep them in mind if you have a failure better then stock replacement ...

Mark Liersch and spawn like this.
  12. spawn

ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    i am trying corrosionx right know on my wraith

13. Mark Liersch

ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    Don't know anything about differential gear failures in the Ascender. Mine has been used every weekend, and two or three times a week for over 2 years. It sees lots of water and a fair bit of mud. I take my trucks totally apart every second run, and they get regressed every time. If you bash or slog the thing for a season, without doing any maintenance, you will have failures. In countless hours on the trail, over 6 years, with some runs lasting the full charge of 3+ 5000mAh 2s batteries, I have had one plastic servo horn spline-stripped, one King shock come apart, and one Rx failure due to a stick getting in underneath and severing the antenna... A lot of what you hear and see from "informed" fellas on the Internet is a trick that is no more than a shortcut that avoids regular maintenance. Be wary of EVERY tip out there. Packing the axles and tranny with grease is one of those shortcuts. My stuff's %100 waterproof, with conformal coating on all the electronics, regularly maintained, but is still getting the works because we ran in fairly wet conditions for 5 hours yesterday. Don't take shortcuts, but do take the "tips" you see on the Internet with a grain of salt. Packing anything that has gears with grease, where it is only supposed to have a light coating, can cause a surprisingly large amount of parasitic drag, and can cause damage to your electronics after time. Motor has to work harder to turn all those gears, and you may end up burning out motors for no apparent reason...

spawn likes this.
  14. Y2daT

Y2daT Over Powered RC
    ELiTE MEMBER

the diff gear failures were happening when it was first produced maybe they made the factory setup better or stronger ??? Horizon Hobby (Vattera) quickly produced a HD gear set to replace the problem gear set ...very possibile they either started installing the HD set from the factory and or made adjustments for a better gear mesh ... I do not own a Vettera myself so i have to go with what ive read from others issues.. including your no problems post .. so thank you for your feedback :)
    ( the following is not meant to hijack the thread)
    Some folks have had diff gear issues in their modded Scx-10 trucks ... but I have yet to need to replace any ... i have 3 to maintain they rarley get complete tear downs
    one is a stock Gen 1 dingo ( waterproofed ) and running a stock 27t axial can and a traxas xl5 ESC on 2S lipo power
    next is a stockish Gen2 Deadbolt (waterproofed ) 35t rc4wd can and stock AE5 ESC on 3S lipo power. as well as 4 links and a steel transmission gear set ..
    the suprising one is a Gen1 Honcho heavily modded steel trans gears alloy c-hubsand knuckles weight added, hard body , junfac drive-shafts. and a Huge 20V Dewalt drill motor running on 6S lipo power + Holmes Hobby ESC... it has killed a few bearing sets .. but if i hear click click i stop and replace all the damaged bearings and still run the stock diff gears .. so in agreement maintenance goes along way

#34 Y2daT, Jun 26, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2017
    Mark Liersch likes this.
  15. Y2daT

Y2daT Over Powered RC
    ELiTE MEMBER

@76popsbrock the accender is different but very similar to the scx10 lineup and with the scale real truck like chassis rigs you will find that homemade mods make most anything you dream up possible ... suspension lifts look cool but can reduce performance or improve it or both in different aspects ... with the scx10 a 6-8mm suspension lift is about the most that can be done with out other mods .. drive shafts will start wanting to bind ..can be fixed by using Junfac ,Mip,or rc4wd punisherII drive shafts ( best 3 i know of) clocking the axles ( tilting them buy using longer upper links ( which causes a funky steering ) to remedy you need to be able to rotate the c-hubs back so they are not tilted ) ..a drawback of lift is weight up high increases roll over potential ( so l,ow end weight can be added to counter balance the truck )
    .. on the scx-10 id recommend 100 mm shocks to 110mm to prevent the need for all the other mods .. longer shocks mounted so the ride height stays close to stock will not cause as many issues but can allow much greater axle articulation ( the better drive shafts aid in this also )
    Tires may be a great upgrade ... many to choose from .. in my opinion the best all terrain tire is the classic super-swamper ... but depending on the types of terrain you run the most a different tire may be3 better for you. the Pitt Bull Rock beast is on par with the classic swamper but is a bit better on the rocks as the swamper is a bit better in the mud...

Mark Liersch likes this.
  16. Mark Liersch

ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    You can keep driveline binding issues to a minimum by making your own, custom length links from 1/4"ID steel brake line, 10/24 threaded rod, and Traxxas Revo rod ends. Substantially cheaper, much heavier, and much stronger than expensive aluminum links. You can tailor link length to zero in a perfect driveline angle, and the steel brake line will slide better over rock than the aluminum, which can be "sticky" on certain types of rock. The extra weight, down low, also helps to lower your CG. I have bent several sets of aluminum links, on an SCX10 that weighed maybe 6 pounds, with battery. I have all custom made links in my considerably heavier (almost 9 pounds with battery) 1.9 Wraith, and run it over some pretty severe terrain. Going on the third season on the same links, and not a bent one yet. Try it, you'll never buy a set of aluminum links again...

17. killerbyrd14

ELiTE MEMBER

I think the k10 is a shorty too I think wb2

18. Mark Liersch

ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    I still run the stock aluminum links in my Ascender, but when I tear it down over the winter, it will be getting new steel links... it will be getting the Proline C10 pickup body, so the frame will be adjusted from it's current short 10.25" wheelbase, to the longer 12.3" wheelbase. Meaning all new, longer links (custom made), which will give me a bit more articulation, and more weight down low. The stock shocks were 110mm long, and way to soft. Swapped them for the aluminum Axial shocks, which are 61-84mm long. Also put the 1.55's under it. It did lose some articulation, but the lower CG made it a much better balanced and handling trail truck... When I make all the length changes, I will be keeping the shorter shocks on the truck...

19. killerbyrd14

ELiTE MEMBER

What c10 body? The one for the revo?

20. Mark Liersch

ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    Nope. This one. It has some amazing details, and will also have the same type of "rusty rat rod" paint job as the '66 F100 cab I'm doing for the Road Hazard...[​IMG]

Y2daT and spawn like this.