1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

NEW FORUM SOFTWARE - Questions and Answers

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by RCSparks, Dec 28, 2014.

1. RCSparks

RCSparks Administrator
    Staff Member ADMiNiSTRAToR SUPER MODERATOR

Media:
    #hashtags have now been written in and enabled for everyone to use. This will help you discover the trending topics across the boards

2. RCSparks

RCSparks Administrator

Media:
    All-righty then.. #Forumupgrades

I have some new features that are really going to improve your experiences here at RCSparks. These features are for both Elite Members and our Registered Member Community.

#EVERYBODY Gets this feature: HASH TAGS

• I have been able to get the Hash-tagging installed, for All to use, and enjoy. This addon allows our users to hashtag posts and renders links that open the hash cloud with the 10 most recent posts containing the same tag.
    • Some people think that hashtags can get in the way of the readability of a post, to combat that we provide the option to not show the # so it reads just like a normal #post with #words as links.
    • When a link is clicked, instead of navigating away from the current thread or page they're on, an overlay will pop up showing all relevant posts (with the thread title and time they were posted).
    ** Watching Tags

If a member has an interest in a specific tag, they can "watch" that tag similarly to how you can watch threads/forums. When they elect to watch a tag, they'll be prompted to select the content types they want to watch and they'll receive an alert whenever that tag is used within those content types.

[​IMG]

#ELITE MEMBERS ONLY

[​IMG]

2) All Elite Members can now change their User Name up to 5 Times. (#usernamechange) I know how folks need to change as their tastes in RC change, and it can be frustrating now being able to change it. There is an option to show your older name for a certain time period to help people adjust to the username change.

2a) In regards to Posting Threads - You can now Lock / Unlock own thread. We have now allowed permission to allow thread authors to lock/unlock their own threads. User cannot unlock threads locked by a moderator.

3) #EVERYBODY Gets these features (All Registered Users)

[​IMG]

#Conversations

This is in regards to your "conversations" or more commonly known as "PM's". Here at the RCSparks Studio, I have decided to implement a full service conversations module. Now, more then ever people need to chat to each other, and this upgraded system will now allow you to speak to individuals, or Groups of people. In fact, Groups of people can Talk to Other Groups. Complicated, I know, but easy once you understand it. It will make more sense as you use the software.
    • Message Likes. Ability to "like" conversation messages just as you do with thread posts. These likes do not count towards a user's total as there is no accountability due to the private nature of conversations. This feature prevents a whole conversation from being bumped, which would normally cause emails to be sent out to everyone involved.
    • Easily see conversation participants. Conversation participants are visible in the conversation list where the participants may be displayed as either usernames or avatars, and can easily be switched via a toggle. An overlay with all the participants is also available.
    • Easily see who has left a conversation permanently. Participants who have left a conversation permanently (ie will never receive further responses), are now displayed with a strikethrough their username and an X at the top right corner of their avatar. This is invaluable information as before you did not know whether a participant will ever see/read your message. If all participants have left a particular conversation, the reply box will now be hidden to prevent sending out a message that no one will ever see/read.
    • Multiple conversations manipulation. All conversations now have a checkbox beside their title, allowing for the selection of multiple conversations to be processed inline all at once. Actions that may be performed inline are:
      • Set Prefix
      • Stick / unstick
      • Lock / unlock (Elite Members and Staff Only)
    • Prefixes. This option provides certain usergroups the ability to create their own prefixes and assign them to their conversations for easy referencing. Conversations are searchable by prefix.
    • Participant groups. This option provides certain usergroups with the ability to create Participant Groups. These groups of multiple recipient names are then available via a dropdown menu when starting a new conversation. This is a great time saver when you often need to start a conversation with the same group of people.
    • Inbox size limit. This option allows you to set a limit to the size of the inbox for certain usergroups. A visual percentage bar and text is displayed on the conversation list page, giving your members a clear indication of exactly how much space they have left in their inbox. Once the limit is reached, the user is prevented from starting or receiving new conversations. Should a member be blocked from receiving a conversation, they will get an alert indicating that person X has tried to contact them but could not get through due to their inbox being full. See top right corner of images
    • Auto Respond to conversation starter. With this option, your members are able to set an auto response message to new conversations they receive while on vacation. Each member can set a start date, an end date, and the message that will be automatically posted for them whenever they receive a new conversation/reply. There is also the ability to exclude people you follow from receiving this response. See image #7
    • Moderator Auto Respond after X number of days. This feature ensures that conversations directed at moderators do not go un-answered. If one of your moderators is contacted but he/she has not logged-in for X number of days, the system will first attempt to auto respond with the moderator's Auto Response message (user group permission required). Should this moderator not have an active auto response, the system will then respond with the Mod Auto Response suggesting the member contact one of the other moderators instead.
    • Sticky a conversation. Conversations can now be set as Stickies. A Sticky ensures the conversation will always remain at the top of the list.
    • (Elite Members) Locked conversations display a 'locked' icon as well provide the appropriate status text when viewing the conversation.
    • Option to allow admins and moderators to reply to locked conversations. This saves moderators from having to start a new conversation whenever a member contacts them with a locked conversation.
    • Last message preview. With this option, when conversation titles on the conversation list page are hovered, a preview of the last message will display.
    • Last Read Date (Confirmation / Indication). Option to show conversation participant'sLast Read Date with a link to the last message they have read. This date and link can be found underneath each of the participant's user name and title in the participants block of each conversation. There is also an option to allow each member to opt out of this feature via their Account/Privacy page, in which case their last read date will display as 'N/A'.
    • Kick Participants out of conversations. Option to allow certain user groups to kick a user out of their conversation via a link in the participant's mini avatar. A kicked user may be re-invited back into the conversation at any time. Please note that those users who leave the conversation on their own accord cannot be invited back as per default XenForo behaviour. Administrators cannot be kicked out of conversations, while Moderators can only be kicked out by Administrators.

#Polls

In regards to Threads and Polls:

• Delete Poll. Moderators and poll creators (when no votes have been cast) can delete a poll via a simple link.
    • Remove Own Poll Vote with optional Time Limit. Those who have cast a vote may remove it (un-vote).
    • "More Options"... Thread authors may edit the title and prefix, or add a poll to their threads by editing the first post and selecting the 'More Options...' button.

#TrendingTopics

"TRENDiNG TOPiCS" has now ALSO BEEN ACTiVATED!

Everyone has access to this unique and fun tool to better help you navigate to Topics and Threads that people are most active on! This service has been placed in the Sidebar of the Forums, to help you keep updated at any time.

[​IMG]

There is also the option to view "Trending Topics" from the Forum Menu Drop Down bar

[​IMG]

This will take you to the Trending Topics Page:

[​IMG]

#UserTagging

TAGGiNG FORUM USERS with the "@" Symbol:

YES! I have been able to code in the ability to add an "@" symbol in front of someones name to Tag them in a post, and alert them to the post being created. For example, if i was to Tag myself @RCSparks - a Drop Down menu will appear as I type my name - See this image -

---- [​IMG] ------

I simply select the name, or I finish typing the username. Either way, this will tag the user you are seeking!

:graffiti:

Greenie, lout and rcnut'14 like this.
  3. RCSparks

RCSparks Administrator

Media:

BOOK MARKiNG for Everyone - You will Enjoy this!

About:

Bookmarks is a way to conveniently display a link to content of thread and profile posts you find informative or otherwise interesting. This saves you the hassle of rummaging through multiple threads or multiple pages in order to locate that single post you wanted to have a second look at.

Features:

• To save a bookmark, click the 'Bookmark' link located at the bottom of each thread post or profile post. Each bookmark may include a note to remind yourself as to why you decided to bookmark it in the first place.

[​IMG]

• These bookmarks are displayed on the user's Account page where they may be viewed, edited, or deleted.
    [​IMG]

• Bookmarks display a note, a snippet of the post message, as well as an overlay of the post. Each bookmark contains:
      • Optional note to self.
      • Post message snippet which may include thumbnails of any attachments.
      • An overlay with the post message (without attachments), thus removing the need to physically go to the post in question. This overlay is triggered when the note to self or message snippet are clicked.
      • Links to the post author, the post, and the thread or profile it belongs to.

[​IMG]

• Shared bookmarks. Option to share bookmarks with other members. Shared bookmarks are displayed via a tab on the member profile page.
    • Organize bookmarks using Tags. These tags are used to filter the bookmark list on the Account page.
    • Receive an alert whenever a bookmarked post status is changed. Option to receive an alert whenever a bookmarked post is deleted, edited, merged with another, or moved to a forum which the bookmark creator cannot view. All alerts provide a pop-up overlay of the post. Even bookmarked posts which get deleted provide this overlay of the deleted post contents so you may have one last look at it. These alert preferences may be set by each member via their Account page.
    • Display selected bookmarks in a quick link navigation tab. Option to display selected bookmarks as a list for quick access via a navigation tab.
    • Bookmarks Count - option to display a bookmarks count and link on the member card overlay. Only public/shared bookmarks will be counted.
    • Daily Stats - keep track of how many posts your members actually bookmark.
    • Stats by Type - option to display bookmarks statistics by content type (ie Thread Posts, Profile Posts, Resources, Showcase Items).

*** NOTE - Mechanics:
    • Should a post that has been saved as a bookmark be deleted (whether 'soft' or 'hard'), the bookmark item will also be deleted.
    • Should a post be moved to a thread its creator cannot view, the bookmark item will be deleted.
    • Should a post be merged with another which the bookmark creator cannot view, the bookmark item will be deleted.
    • Should a thread be moved to a different category, or merged with another thread, which the bookmark creator cannot view, the bookmark item will be deleted.
    • Should a user limit his/her profile page causing the bookmark creator to not be able to view it, the profile post bookmark item will be deleted.
    • Should a User be deleted, all bookmark items created by that member will be deleted, however, all bookmark items that belong to other users and link to content created by the now deleted member will remain (as RCSparks does not delete their posts).

I hope you all enjoy these updates and find the forum easier and more fun to use! I am always working on ways to improve your experience here, so please take the time to test things out and enjoy!

Greenie, lout and krankillen like this.
  4. RCSparks

RCSparks Administrator

Media:
    #Stylechooser

I know that people are different and have a variety of tastes. This is why I have chosen to offer a "Default" style of Forum, as well as an "RCSparks Style" of Forum.

At the BOTTOM of this page, on the LEFT Hand Side - you will see a Drop Down menu called "RCSparks" - It looks like this:

[​IMG]

By clicking on the Drop Down menu, you can now choose "Default" - it will take you to the "Vanilla" flavoured Forum, that you may find more enjoyable.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

You CAN always switch back, by reversing the process - Just go to the bottom of the page, and click "RCSparks" to change back!

Now even MORE PEOPLE can Enjoy this growing community!

:yo !:

lout likes this.
  5. jaloos

jaloos Mod, Staff Member and Ghetto Fabricator

Media:
    I am all for the RCSparks style. Gotten used to it and like it much better. To each their own though.

Whoop Whoop

6. lout

lout Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    I'm happy with the RCSparks style too. Mate, thank you for your effort in providing theses updates. :Grin:

kelownaCRAWL likes this.
  7. RCSparks

RCSparks Administrator

Media:
    Today I have allowed the forum to expand to Max width - to give you an easier reading area

This will be tested for issues on Mobility devices

:) #maxwidth

Greenie likes this.
  8. prophet

prophet Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    @RCSparks
    New features are great Medic! Love the bigger width, makes viewing much better!
    On a side note, i went to try out some of the new features, and found that i don't have the option to change my user name? An option i would like to have as i've wanted to change it for a while. Is that cause i'm not a paid elite member?

RCSparks likes this.
  9. jaloos

Media:

Ha ha I knew there was something different here lol. Personally I like it.

RCSparks likes this.
  10. RCSparks

RCSparks Administrator

Media:

Sorry Doguss55! I missed that permissions setting for the Intro Group.. Try it again :)

prophet likes this.
  11. jaloos

Media:
    Any chance of getting a tutorial on how to embed media from the media gallery to your post. I may be slow but I see others doing it and for the life of me I can't figure it out.
    Must be an old age thing rofl.

Thanks Boss.

12. jaloos

Media:
    Also noticed that when adding links to say facebook and youtube to your profile they come up as written addresses vs actual links.
    Any way to make these a clickable link?

and if not is there a way to change the highlight color for copying from black to something more easily seen?

13. jaloos

Media:
    LOL got it, never noticed the drop window with my media in it, not sure it was ever there.

14. kelownaCRAWL

kelownaCRAWL Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

where do i find my threads to post on them and can i still use photobucket to post my pictures?

15. kelownaCRAWL

ELiTE MEMBER

where do i find my threads so i can post on them and can i still use photobucket to post my pics?

16. jaloos

Media:
    Hover over your name at the top right, many options there including your content.

Yes photobucket still works.

kelownaCRAWL likes this.
  17. kelownaCRAWL

ELiTE MEMBER

what is the name of it?

18. Greenie

Greenie VillAge iDioT
    ELiTE MEMBER

"Your Content"

jaloos and kelownaCRAWL like this.
  19. kelownaCRAWL

ELiTE MEMBER

i am having this biggest blonde moment, i literally cannot find it, sorry

20. Greenie

Greenie VillAge iDioT
    ELiTE MEMBER

right at the very top of the page, right hand side, is you log in name(next to the notification flag) if you hover you're mouse over that, a list will appear, and on the right hand side of that list, about the middle, is "your content". that will take you to a list of your threads.

Hope that helps!!!!
    (don't worry took me a bit too to find!!! ;) )

kelownaCRAWL and jaloos like this.