1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New hobbywing esc and tekin 13.5

Discussion in 'Motors & Transmissions' started by JeffV, Aug 7, 2016.

1. Magnat007

Magnat007 Proud SCX10 Owner
    ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    If they made free spooling RC winches and you could wire the winch up just to pull it back in.. then 2 channels would be fine lol.. but they have not seemed to be able to do that yet.

2. JeffV

JeffV New Member

My LHS only has a spektrum dx4c. 140 canadian bucks, with that money are there any better choices I should look at. I don't mind spending more on good quality gear. I don't mind paying as long as the product matches up. I want something dummy (me) proof. Durable. Reliable. That's about it. An extra channel or two is cool cause I might make a trailer, to hold a laser reciever, and inverted paint can. I excavate a lot. I've dreamed up a setup that allows me to improve efficiency. Means I can just dig and not have to check grades. Instead put a remote box in the machine and make my paint marks and shoot grades while listening to Sirius and enjoying AC. And of course playing at the same time.

drzoo2 likes this.
  3. 00whynot

00whynot Moderator
    Staff Member MODERATOR

Media:
    spektrum is a solid brand. i swear by it. but they lost me with their latest controllers. up until the new line of controllers they were backward compatible with older spektrum receivers. and some cheap off brand ones as well. So with the new line up you need the new receivers. for some one like me that is ludicrous. id have to buy 15-20 new receivers to run my trucks with it. but if you only have one id say go for it. ive used my DX3c in the rain snow and extreme heat. its still going strong.

4. JeffV

JeffV New Member

Hello remember me? So I got a new radio all bonded up and even calibrated it. But!!!...... my tekin 13.5 wont move when throttled. If I go back and forth it makes an humming noise and if it turns it sounds terrible like something is wrong with it.... ugh... now what? I calibrated twice it's bound... any ideas out there?

5. 00whynot

00whynot Moderator
    Staff Member MODERATOR

Media:
    Have you checked your brushes. Can you put up a pic of your motors end bell. Where everything is connected. Sounds like a short in there somewhere. You can test your motor by connecting the wires strait to a battery. Don't do it with a lipo. If it's shorted you can fry the battery. Remove the pinion and be careful. Motor might be shot. Is it one you put the wires on yourself or is it factory built.

6. drzoo2

drzoo2 Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    @00whynot, Pretty sure it's sensored brushless....

Make sure the phases are correct. It matters with sensored motors. Also make sure if the ESC has a brushed mode, it's set for brushless

Sent from my XT1575

7. 00whynot

00whynot Moderator
    Staff Member MODERATOR

Media:
    Oh brushless changes everything. That sounds like a knakered motor

8. JeffV

JeffV New Member

A knackered motor would be lame. Bought it new. All I ever did was try to calibrate to with my old TX and the TX ended up having a dead channel. New TX and now the new motor is no good? Ugh... how?

9. drzoo2

drzoo2 Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    Did you verify what I asked in my post?

Sent from my XT1575

10. JeffV

JeffV New Member

It's brushless, phases are correct, I believe it's a bl only esc

11. 00whynot

00whynot Moderator
    Staff Member MODERATOR

Media:
    wish i could show up at your door and take a look. i cant do much from here.

12. dgonslayer

dgonslayer New Member

one other thing to think about make sure the esc is plugged correctly into the slot also with the hobbywing setups ive had with the flysky the throttle channle had to be set to reverse I had the same problem with my first flysky an hobbywing combo took it out an sat for four months then read up on a few other forums bout it hope this helps ya some

13. summitnut

summitnut Super Moderator
    SUPER MODERATOR

Media:
    ....edit.....

14. JeffV

JeffV New Member

So! Sorry for a tardy update. Got annoyed pulled the esc and contacted hobbywing they said send it in for a diagnosis. They assured all their products are tested before they are shpiped and sold. I guess except this one. Recieved a replacement. Took a while to make a jig and order and solder new connectors but finally I'm abusing my rig. Thanks for all the help. Great community. Thanks.. now to start building a rig for my 3 year old. By the time I'm done he should be able to handle it.... what should I build.