1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New Model(RC) Boat Builder

Discussion in 'Boat Build Projects' started by LooseNut, Apr 16, 2017.

1. LooseNut

LooseNut Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    So I'm gonna be a boat builder. So I think.
    I'm in Lloydminster Alberta Canada where there isn't much water and NO boating clubs, but I won't let that stop me. I've chosen the Smit Nederland Tug by Billing Boats.
    Seen in photo. It has an abs hull, as it was suggested by many group members I should keep it easy and simple for my first build. I wanted the Smit Rotterdam, everyone freaked!
    I have the glass cloth, epoxy etc all researched, now is the hard part...

I'm ignorant beyond the basic workings of RC components.
    Ok, you have battery to receiver. Receiver to esc, esc to motor, then tranny... bla bla bla
    And then there are various ways to hook up other accessories. Easiest being lights or winch (or more) to the receiver.

That's where my knowledge stops. i do know standard truck RC components "will" work in a Tug Boat model.
    Here's my question; If I have duel props, obviously I will need two motors (preferably high turn), can I run both off a Castle Sidewinder 3? Or an Axial AE5? These are the only esc's I have right now. I'm assuming you simply use a "Y" connector for both motors to tap into the esc?
    This part all seems tricky. Maybe two AE5's for the motors? Can anyone help?[​IMG]

better to have it and not want it, than to need it and not have it

Antho11 and walter like this.
  2. Tombsy

Tombsy Boat Racing Fanatic
    ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    Unfortunately you can't run two brushless motors with one esc you need an esc for each. The problem with brushless in scale boats is finding motors with a low enough kv to run direct drive. And brushless doesn't have the same low speed control as non brushless motors. Check out some of the setups on Mayhem, those guys know their tugs. :)

Antho11 likes this.
  3. Gromit

Gromit Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

How about two esc's? So you can run each prop indepentdantly and get some extra maneuverability.
    I run a Graupner Power 600 (brushed) on a 50mm four-blade prop in a heavy boat without gearing and it's running nowhere near hot. Gearing can be noisy and thus ruin the appearance of the boat.