1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New to me mystery truck/Name that part

Discussion in 'Newbe Help' started by Grifter, Mar 16, 2014.

1. Grifter

Grifter Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Hello again friends. It's time once again to reveal my noobishness, beg for some help, ask some stupid questions, and show off another truck.

I picked this little fella up in a trade Saturday along with a ground pounder that's not worth picturing here. The gp's links are all jacked up and mismatched, it's got a busted shock mount/axle brace lookin thing, and its just a roller right now. It's gonna need a lot of love but for now it's shelved.

Anyway, check this thing out.

Here it is next to my Rubicon,pardon the mud it seen some action yesterday and I havent got around to hosing it off.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Alrite on to some of my questions and some close ups. What is this thing?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Ok, hopefully my pics are clear enough to give u guys a good look at this thing.

Like I said I'm wondering what this thing is exactly. I'm thinking it's a tf2 chassis maybe? Doesn't quite look like some of the pics I found not sure.

What axles r those?

I was told its rocking wraith shocks can anyone confirm that?

Anyone know how water resistant that rooster crawler esc is? I really like to dunk my trucks.

Also, I'm not at all happy about the way those shackles, or whatever they r, r sticking out up front. Any ideas? Maybe a simple relocation for now until I can get a bumper? I'm gonna try my hand at making one outta brake line possibly. My old man was pumped because its sporting the dodge body. If it was red and black it would look like his v10. Anyway he gave me the brake line idea and has some laying around so we might play with that idea soon.

As always any help or insights are greatly appreciated. I'll probably think of some more questions about this guy as time goes on.

Thanks!

2. BlackPhoenix

BlackPhoenix Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Well that chassis looks pretty familiar to me. I think it might be off RC4WD but I can't seem to find that red chassis now. As for the shocks they look to be either Wraith or SCX10 shocks. Kind of hard to tell.

3. kelownaCRAWL

kelownaCRAWL Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

the shocks are from a wraith for sure
    the rooster esc is a fav esc on my part
    the chassis is from a rc that i am not sure of what they are from, i have seen them in person but dont know what chassis it is
    it is not a tf2 which sucks
    but this thing looks to be a bit bent and looks decent but not too great
    i would take the frame rails off and see how bent they look and if so try to bend them back and much as u can
    i dont think the leaf sprigs do any performance
    so i would just tighten the shock body's them selves
    the tires are rc4wd roc lox, they should do well
    but yeah i am not sure what chassis t is but it may be a tamiya crawler
    but it may not be that but yeah
    i hope i helped a bit

4. silentj001

silentj001 Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

the chassis looks like a komodo. they are solid like that. and it runs leaf springs also

5. Chunder

Chunder Fixer
    ELiTE MEMBER

6. kelownaCRAWL

kelownaCRAWL Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

7. Grifter

ELiTE MEMBER

Thank you chunder. I had found a chassis like that on eBay for about a hundred bucks but they were calling it a tf2 and mine doent have the red bracing across the rear, just a skinny black strip between the shock mounts. So I wasn't 100% sure.

It does look bent in the pic but I think it's a camera trick cuz it looks good to me. I didn't take it apart but it looks good. Those rails are so thick I can't imagine them ever getting bent.

So are those the same axles that come on the trailstomper? Will the chassis accept tf2 upgrades? Does the rooster crawler like being submarined?

Idk y info is so elusive today. I only searched for a few minutes tho to be fair. I did however wash the jeep.

Thanks for the responses guys.

8. dna4engr

dna4engr Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Are those K44 axles from RC4wd? The diff cover looks familiar.

Dna

9. Y2daT

Y2daT Over Powered RC
    ELiTE MEMBER

I thought the axles looked like Tamiya axles ??? either way its looks like a nice find.

10. Grifter

ELiTE MEMBER

Ok after about an hour of research I'd say these r t-rex 60 axles with a painted diff cover.

I cant find any specs on the original trailfinder but the appearance of the axles and added shootershackles and what I'm thinking is an r2 single speed transmission I'm getting the feeling this is a trailstomper that they bought a red chassis for. I could be wrong. It could just be someones Frankenstein, but it def has a lot in common with the trailstomper.

Either way I've been over it today tightening things up and it has what I would call a varied assortment of hardware holding it together. I'd say this truck has seen a few miles of trail and been built and rebuilt a time or 10.

I've got next to nothing invested in it so far. I'm gonna go spend a few dollars on deans to traxxas adapters here in awhile and then when the rest of last night's snow melts this thing is going thru the ringer. I'm just pumped I got 2 trail trucks now. Now the kids can drive and I can film. Eventually.

Thanks again for havin a look everyone. If y'all have any setup advice I'd sure appreciate it. Im sure I'll be tweaking on it soon.