1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New to RC, decision making time

Discussion in 'General Electronics' started by JDixon13, Apr 4, 2013.

1. JDixon13

JDixon13 New Member

Im new to RC and trying to decide about what I should get. I was originally thinking of getting an Axial SCX10 however now my fiance's family is thinking of selling me some of his older fuel RC trucks. How much harder is the upkeep and waterproofing on a truck that runs on fuel vs a truck such as the SCX10? I dont make a lot of money in my profession so Im looking to go with the easier upkeep vehicle and easier waterproofing. I wont be going in deep water but I do have mountainous trails and there are mud puddles and want to protect whatever I buy. Any suggestions or know of any videos on how to waterproof a fuel run truck? thanks for all the help
    Joshua D

2. Crankbait

Crankbait Think...
    ELiTE MEMBER

Electric is definitely easier to upkeep and water proof.
    Nitro engines use a centripetal clutch so crawling on trails is terrible for them because they have to rev so much.

3. Rambodian

Rambodian New Member

You can't technically water proof a fuel truck because it needs air to form combustion with the fuel. However you can get them relatively water resistant but it will definitely work against the engines tune. Less air = less performance etc. The electrics are easy to water proof on both nitro/fuel or electric.

If you want to get into a bit of scale crawling on the cheap, go with a scx10 rtr, that's what I'm getting next. I have a nitro truck and electric SC truck, I love them both but the electric is not only more powerful than my nitro, its easier to drive, can be driven anywhere because no one complains about electric even if your tearing up the local park grass etc.

IMO go electric mate, especially if it's your first RC and yu want to do a bit of crawling etc, nitro/fuel will never crawl like an electric can.

4. southway1943

southway1943 New Member

i would suggest a rock crawler like i have been told to get and that i am looking into getting and its electric and very durable from what i have been told
    peter essex uk

5. RCforlife29

RCforlife29 Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Its hard to go wrong with the SCX10 RTR. It was my first truck and has never let me down.

6. southway1943

southway1943 New Member

have you decided what you are going to get ???
    peter essex uk