1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New to the RC world, could I get some help in this thread?(ECX Torment)

Discussion in 'Newbie Q & A' started by Emblurr, Feb 7, 2013.

1. Emblurr

Emblurr New Member

Hey all

I just purchased my first hobby grade rc :ninja: Thanks to medic for making awesome videos, without him I wouldn't have seen the fun I was missing. Before I continue, I just want to say I am COMPLETELY new to all of this, so apologies in advance if I ask some no brainers.

I knew right away I could not afford a $400 crawler but I wanted something rugged, and the more off road the better. I browsed a whole list of hobby sites and mostly due to my price limitation and the numerous positive reviews, I chose the ECX Torment 1/10 sct. I liked the added ground clearance it has because I don't (to my knowledge) have a short course track in my city, but I do have a lot of snow in the winter and windy trails nearby. I looked into it and saw EXC offers a new version, with a 15t brushed motor instead of the 20t, along with upgrades to the drive shafts, waterproofing and a couple other things. Again, being a complete RC newb, I looked around as best as I could, and the Torment seemed right for the price and the driving conditions I want to do. It cost me just over $200cdn

So, with that being said:

1: Would you recommend the torment to someone looking to get into the off roading side of RC? Did I make a good choice? here are the specs:

Dynamite® waterproof Tazer™ 15T ESC
    ECX™ 2.4GHz radio system
    Dynamite 15T motor
    Dynamite 2-amp peak charger included
    Dynamite Speedpack™ 1800mAh Ni-MH battery included
    Waterproof Dynamite servo
    Upgraded driveshafts
    ESC and battery come pre-wired with high-current EC3™ connector
    Nylon composite chassis and parts
    Adjustable oil-filled shocks
    2WD transmission with gear differential
    Transmission includes an adjustable slipper clutch
    Dynamite SpeedTreads™ Shootout™

2. I was too scared to break my motor in using the water method.. Again, completely new, so all I could picture was a ruined motor within the first 24 hours. I followed RCnightmares dry break in method but after running my motor for 25min I rinsed it with a product called GUNK heavy duty engine degreaser. Did I use the right product? I inspected the motor afterwards and there is some blue plastic that looks as if it has melted onto the coil.. Should I replace? Not very confident in my decision to use this product, but the motor appears to be working just fine.

3. Maintenance tips please? How often should I clean it, and what should I be cleaning? Usually after my runs I shake and blow as much of the snow out as I can, and angle it diagonally upside down facing a fan to dry. Am I too paranoid?

4. Slipper Clutch? Apparently I have one of these, but i'm not sure how they function. I'd like to make sure my slipper clutch is set optimally for snow and hilly trail use.

5. As far as taking this truck further down the offroad route, what would be your first upgrade to this vehicle and why? Plz keep cost in mind.

I have more but that's enough wall of text for now.

Thanks,

Rick.

2. bumpin

bumpin Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

hello rick welcome to rcing and this awesome forum!! im fairly new to the off roading aspect myself. i recomend cleaning after every day of running is finished. thats what i do with my t-maxxs they are nitro so they get pretty gunky with a good bash session. good luck man. i know these guys will help you out alot. they have benn totally helpful in my truck descision for my new scale truck for off roading/mudding. and as soon as i learn more ill be happy to share as well .

:)

3. RustyWrench

RustyWrench ...I Always Edit...
    ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    Hello Rick, welcome... What part of Canada are you in?

I have never herd of this truck, I looked at some pics and a couple of right ups, not sure what the parts availibility is at your local hobby store, this is one thing I always concider... For $200 I would have went with the Losi XXXSCB Losi: 1/10 Stronghold XXX-SCB RTR: Losi (LOSB0107) You could go to a bike park or skate park, get some paddle tires and snow is a blast...

I think for the money you did ok, you'll find as time goes on in this addiction 4wd at least for me is the way to go, and once you try a lipo battery you'll never go back to NiMh, not to mention brushless motor, more mah more run time...

GUNK most likely runied you motor... The water method is actually the best belive it or not...lol...

I clean after every session, when I'm done for the day, I use an old tooth brush for dust and dirt... Depending on how well you water proofed when I have mud caked on and such I rince with garden hose at tap pressure, don't put your thumb over the end of the hose, and scrub with soft brush/wipe with soft cloth... After everything is dry I lube all my wheel bearings, and basically every bearing I can get at with out taking everything apart... No WD 40 for me I use silicone lube, you can get the proper stuff at your LHS...

As far as your slipper clutch adjustment, it really depends on the terrain, most people I know crank them down as tight as it will go, if you do this expect to break parts more often...

Up grades? I have no idea what up grades there are for your truck... I think I'd leave it as is, run it have fun with it, when some thing breaks then up grade that part...

This is just my opinion, and the way I do things, I suggest do your research, read forums...lol...

Reguards Dean

4. Emblurr

Emblurr New Member

Hey guys and thanks for the help, much appreciated.

The Torment is an entry level fully rtr from ECX which is from what I understand, a branch of Losi. Speaking of, I am looking at that link for the LosiXXX you gave me, and i'm wishing I would have saw it before I made my purchase, but oh well!

Here is the link for the Torment:
    http://www.ecxrc.com/Products/Default.aspx?ProdID=ECX4000S

A couple more questions regarding cleaning.. what products do I need on hand to re lubricate after washing the body off with water? Is the silicone lube only for bearings? Or can I use that for other purposes like spur/pinion gear, motor bushings, etc?

When you guys break in a motor(wet method), do you use an aerosol cleaner spray inside the motor after removing it from the water? If not, what is your procedure?

I'd like to take this thing right apart, and inspect the drive train and gear diff some more, as i'd like to learn how they function and how to maintain those aspects of the vehicle.. but I don't feel confident doing it alone. Do you guys think I could bring it into the shop I bought it from and get any help?

Again, sorry for the wall of text.

Thanks guys,
    Rick

oh and Dean I am in Ontario, what about you?

#4 Emblurr, Feb 8, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2013
  5. 00whynot

00whynot Moderator
    Staff Member MODERATOR

Media:
    the torment is a good truck. Ive seen it take a beating.

6. RustyWrench

RustyWrench ...I Always Edit...
    ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    There has been alot of different opinions on bearing lube, you can take the seal off of your bearing and grease them, lithium grease, graphite grease, maring grease, it goes on and on, then seal them back up and away you go... Some people use 5W 30 motor oil, silicone shock oil, skate board bearing lube...Ultimately grease will give you more protection, but also more friction and heat...Something thinner motor oil will run out faster, and have less friction... Which is why I use a silicone lube... I think the most important thing is to make sure you lube your bearings no matter which way or product you decide to use...

I don't know of anybody that lubes their spur and pinion...

No cleaners on your motor after break in just blow out extra moisture with compressed air, or you can break in motor with a 50% mixture of water and isopropanol (rubbing alcohol) I have never done this but have been told it helps the water evaporate quicker...

Check out some youtube tons of info on there...

Hope this helps...Any one else here care to give an opinion?
    (cause I know not everything I do is the right way...lol...)

Dean

I actually have 2 places I call home, Port Coquitlam and Hope BC. I have a bunch of family back east in Ont.

#6 RustyWrench, Feb 11, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2013