1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New Wraith owner with a question

Discussion in 'Newbe Help' started by pergidium, Aug 5, 2012.

1. pergidium

pergidium New Member

Hi Folks;

I'm new to the forums and a new owner of Wraith Kit. I'm not new to RC (mostly nitro).

I am putting my Wraith kit together and I have a question. There seems to be a lot of binding in the drive line. I had a difficult time getting my rear axle bearing carriers (not sure if thats what they are called) to fit on the proper distance. I filed it down a bit and got it fit better but it still seems to be tight when trying to turn it by hand. Any thoughts?

Also, i am using an old Traxxas VXL-3 ESC and Motor in it. Is that going to be too much power? I want it to have a fair amount of power on tap (like a rock bouncer/medics red Wraith) but i don't want to rip it apart.

I know that there are some plastic parts that need to be replaced, is there anything else that other wraith owners can tell me that needs to be looked out for or changed?

Thanks all!

2. pergidium

pergidium New Member

Not sure if this is the place to put this or not(please tell me what form it should be under if it is the wrong place) but here goes; so I finished all the assembly except the the body panels. I hooked up a 2s 5000mah hour battery and after checking everything to make sure it was all moving properly I gave a little run around the basement. It last about 3 minutes before it stripped out the spur gear and both the internal transmission gears. I don't know if the velineon is to much for it but I didn't think it would be.

I am going to order the internal metal gears for the trans, anything else I should be looking it doing since I have the thing pretty much stripped down? Oh, I don't know if anyone else has had issues with them but the axial stock shocks seem, IMO, to suck. 3 of the 4 are leaking. All built the same with the same amount of fluid. I've built my share of shocks in the past so I am pretty sure I am not doing it wrong but these ones just seem to be beyond me.

Thanks

3. Dribble

Dribble Super Moderator
    Staff Member SUPER MODERATOR

I moved your thread and wish I would of seen this sooner. The VXL is way to much power on a stock setup for the wraith, as you found out bye bye spur and tranny gears. Those need to be upgraded for sure for that much power, you might want to look into upgrading the driveshafts as well.

As for the shocks they are actually not that bad. I had one that was leaking as well and I took it apart and rebuilt it and made sure everything was sealed proper on it and done fixed does not leak anymore. Ya of course they could be upgraded as well but just do what is need first. I only upgrade stuff on my rigs when I break something even if I already know what I am going to break before hand, but that is just how I do things.

4. pergidium

pergidium New Member

Thanks dribble. I am ordering the replacement gears this evening and I guess I will have to look into getting a brushed setup for this. I am going to have to figure out something that will give me some speed but not rip stuff apart all the time.

I had a spare set of traxxas big bore shocks for the t-Maxx lying around so I put those in using the shock oil that comes in the kit. I might take the shocks apart again. Maybe I left a piece of flashing in there, who knows.

I can put some of this down time into painting the body panels and trying to find a driver figure for it.

Thanks

5. Magnat007

Magnat007 Proud SCX10 Owner
    ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    The Wraith is not designed to be an all out speed machine..
    To keep it somewhere in the realms of Speed and durability a 19Tx2 might do the job.

6. pergidium

pergidium New Member

I have a Traxxas XL-5 and 12T Titan i think i will put in there or would that be a little too low to give some decent speed/rock bouncing? I should have put that damn thing in first come to think of it.

7. Magnat007

ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    12T is a tad low... but give it ago and see..

8. Dribble

Dribble Super Moderator

I do not think 12T is to low. Nothing is really built for speed with out having to upgrade things. Most of the guys where I live that own Wraith are running 8.5T - 13.5T sensored motors in there's. Me I have a 15T in mine right now, soon to be 12T and so on with the upgrades that are needed and as they break.

Check out my video on youtube of Insane Wraiths at IOCO to see what we do with ours. Yes lots of upgrades done.

[video=youtube;L4NnDHB4LEY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L4NnDHB4LEY[/video]

9. BlackPhoenix

BlackPhoenix Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

I have heard that there is barely a difference in speed between a AXIAL 20t and the Titan 12t but that's just what I heard :L

10. Dribble

Dribble Super Moderator

That I have no way of personally comparing since mine was a kit. But I did find a few video's of comparison and double the speed of it with a 12T

11. pergidium

pergidium New Member

Cool video. Once I get the replacement gears in i will give the the titan a shot. Maybe upgrade to a sensored brushless later.

Thanks.

12. pergidium

pergidium New Member

So i got a set of replacement plastic gears. The inside gears really didn't look to bad but they did have some signs of stripping. Anyway, I put the new gears in and since i didn't have a replacement spur i used a 56t traxxas spur. I re-installed all the electronics and put the origional 13t pinion back on the vxl (instead of the 20t that comes with the axial kit). I hooked everything up and it seems to work great! Crawled over the two big rocks infront of my house and i am going to finish charging my batteries and take it out to the local limestone pit. I do think it will need a stronger servo then the traxxas stocker i put on but that will come later.

13. Magnat007

ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    13.5T Brushless = about a 27T Brushed (roughly)
    Not sure what the 8.5 would equal but at a guess it would be somewhere in the 19T-15T area..
    So yeah still not as low as the 12T titan..but being a 550 size can, It may have the torque needed.

Just keep your eye on the motor temps... It might be performing OK now but after 10 mins it could be a different story..

14. pergidium

pergidium New Member

Well i took the warith out for a little run and man was it fun. wish i would have bought this before my slash.

here's a video;
    [video=youtube;mn4P4n0GrvA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mn4P4n0GrvA[/video]

and another;
    first time out with the new wraith 2 - YouTube

First time driving and filming. it's not as easy as you guys make it look.

and a still;
    [​IMG]

Can't wait to get the new steel replacement gears. I think i will keep the velineon in here and up the gear a bit. awesome fun.