1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Next Rig

Discussion in 'Newbie Q & A' started by DMS70, Apr 18, 2017.

1. DMS70

DMS70 Member

So I've been using my Traxxas Stampede 2wd more and more. I'm really enjoying it, and I guess I forgot how fun RC can be. I've been reading a lot on the Ascender, and will be making a purchase in the next few weeks. Hopefully someone can answer this question for me. As fun as crawling looks, I don't know just how much of it I will be doing. I'm more apt to trail run, and run it on dirt roads, paths, and loose gravel/dirt parking lots. I'm quickly finding the limitations on the 2wd Stampede with the stock tires. I'm planning to buy some better tires for it. So, is something like the Ascender or SCX10 II going to work for the type of terrain I've pointed out? All the videos I've seen of the Ascender are of it crawling. I guess I'm just concerned that what makes it a great crawler, may not make it a great trail rig. Any suggestions or advice?

2. JayT312

JayT312 New Member

I wish I had more insight for your questions but looking forward to the answers. I'm brand new to the hobby grade rc world. I ended up buying the ecx barrage because of the price. I've greatly enjoyed it but I have enjoyed more of the building on it and modifying it more than driving it. But I do have a dromida that I bash around with and even though I love the trail riding with barrage I've grown a deeper enjoyment from bashing around with dromida. But the barrage in my opinion is great for the terrain your speaking of. I could only imagine that the scx 10 or ascender would be much more effecient than the barrage. I don't believe it would be a regrettable buy for what your explaining.

Sent from my SM-S920L using Tapatalk

DMS70 likes this.
  3. darkside0914

darkside0914 Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    the simple answer is, yes, either truck is perfect for trails, the ascender and scx10/scx10II are actually designed more for trails with light or medium duty rock crawling ability as a bonus, so they'll work well on all the terrains you mentioned, as long as you're not looking for speed, but the stampede can take care of that need.

DMS70 likes this.
  4. Magnat007

Magnat007 Proud SCX10 Owner
    ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    @darkside0914 pretty much nailed it.. The Ascender or SCX10 Or SCX10 II are not designed with speed in mind.. If your used to a 2WD stampede as the basis for speed then you are going to be dissapointed.
    Trail trucks are designed to go about as fast as you can walking.. as thats essentially what you do with them.. You take them for a walk !

A Trail truck is designed to take on what ever you may come across on a walking trail.. So some light rock work, Light mud work and still be faster than a rock crawler.

Whilst you can wack a brushless system into a trail truck things tend to break faster as speed is not their main focus.... Capability is.
    So as long as you are aware of this before you buy one.. You will have an awesome time with either truck !

darkside0914 and DMS70 like this.
  5. 00whynot

00whynot Moderator
    Staff Member MODERATOR

Media:
    best way i could think of to answer your question. all 3 are scx10s

DMS70 likes this.
  6. DMS70

DMS70 Member

Very cool, thanks. That really helps.