1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Nitro engine, (safe running temperature) help

Discussion in 'Nitro' started by Rdecker20, May 6, 2012.

1. Rdecker20

Rdecker20 Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Hello, I am only a few months into the nitro engines. I have become a bit confused with what temperature a nitro engine should avoid/run in.

Examples:

Hobby shop owner, " Temperature should never get about 180 Deg Farenheit"
    Traxxas Tmaxx Owners manual, "Never let the engine get about 270 Deg Farenheit"
    Information from a forum post, "250 Deg Farenheight is a safe temperature range"

From what I have read, there is no exact temperature that a nitro engine "should" be in, because from a 70 degree day to a 90 degree day the engine temp will automaticaly be 20 degrees fluctuated, so it is impossible to give an exact temperature.... but is it realy????

So, I am a bit confused on this issue

I have tried to get the temp down, but the lowest I seem to be able to keep it is in the lower 200's Deg, any lower it would want to spit like a camel and bogg out... and the highest I ever saw it was almost 300 deg, scared the crap out of me, I froze for a minute, cursed once or twice, then quickly richened it and let it cool and air hosed it cool.(has been fine ever since)

So please enlighten me on this issue. any help is greatly apreciated

2. Crankbait

Crankbait Think...
    ELiTE MEMBER

240 to 260 is normal in most cases, but the best way to tell imo is if it's smokin' it's ok.
    My Savage with a 4.6 runs around 240, but my TMaxx with 3.3 runs around 300 sometimes, but it is producing good smoke which tells me everything is getting lubed ok.
    All the needles on both are tuned perfectly so I don't have a too rich or too lean problem on either.
    If you don't have smoke from the exhaust, watch out it won't last long.

3. Rdecker20

ELiTE MEMBER

thanks a bunch! I've been able to keep it between 220 to 250, then I do cool downs and "air hose" dust off and check for "injuries"

Thanks for the help

4. Rissarp

Rissarp New Member

I have been having troubles as well. Recently I seem to have gotten it consistently between 190 and 220 but there was one point where it was smoking and bogging like it was really rich, but when I checked it was hitting 360. As soon as I saw that I shut her down. Thankfully I don't think any damage was done, but frick did it scare me!

5. Crankbait

Crankbait Think...
    ELiTE MEMBER

Here are a few things to check-
    Are the cooling fins on your motors head getting enough air flow?
    What Nitro content is your fuel?
    Is the smoke consistent, at high speed/rpm's do you still have smoke?
    Make sure your gear mesh isn't to tight.
    Don't idle a lot, these motors need lots of airflow.
    Don't set your idle too high.

A big thing to check is air leaks, any air leak will lean the mixture out.
    Check- all of your hoses
    - fuel cap seal
    - back plate
    - o ring under the carb.
    - head bolts.

If all else fails set your needles back to factory and start tuning over.

Hope this helps.

6. Rissarp

Rissarp New Member

I'm pretty sure I got it figured out now, but thank you. I will keep that in mind.

7. Rdecker20

ELiTE MEMBER

same thing happened to me a couple weeks ago. It may have just got hot from high speed runs, or if it was a hot day out. I saw mine get around mid 300's one time, scared me as well. did the same bogging like it was too rich.

I have found its easier to tune and keep cool after having the fuel in the fridge or in a cooler next to ice pack for a while. especialy if it's a hot day... I dont know if its good to do that or not, but I find it's easier to keep engine cooler.

8. Rissarp

Rissarp New Member

I have heard that keeping the fuel cool can make a huge difference. I know that air temps play a big role, but who woulda thought that a few degrees cooler in the fuel would too!

9. Rdecker20

ELiTE MEMBER

it's crazy how sensitive these engines can be. but I don't mind the tuning at all. i plan on getting into 1/5th scale one day soon... just to keep the variety in the collection.

10. Crankbait

Crankbait Think...
    ELiTE MEMBER

If ya get a 1/5 scale with a mixed gas motor it will be a snap to tune compared to a nitro mill.

11. Rdecker20

ELiTE MEMBER

thats actualy going to be my next purchase. I am going with a 1/5 buggy. Still shopping

12. duckvision

duckvision New Member

Fuel temp issues

I saw a great video recently on how to install a fuel line cooler on a nitro 1/10 car. Might be a cheap easy solution.

13. dragzz

dragzz New Member

i dont think fuel cooler going to help much i run my savage 4.6 all day at time temps at 250/ 270 run great

i use basher fuel 20% its got a bit more oil in it good for the 4.6 i need to rebuild the motor bent rod not to bad for a year

RobinH likes this.
  14. cbaker65

cbaker65 Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

How do you normally run your truck? sometimes it depends on how its ran,putt around or race it up an down?
    Do you run with a body,an do you have an air hole cut out?

You can also prolong the life of your engine by putting the piston down out of the top of engine after you
    shut the engine down,this will save the sleeves pinch.

15. dragzz

dragzz New Member

o ya one more tip replace the fuel lines dont use the stock one mine had a pin hole and after shut down run some afterrun oil thu if its going sit for a while good luck

16. Crankbait

Crankbait Think...
    ELiTE MEMBER

2 year old thread guys..
    Hope he has it fixed by now.

17. dragzz

dragzz New Member

must have it fixed by now lol

18. Spudler

Spudler New Member

Interesting some of the temps I seen people mention, 300 seems high to me, then again what do I know I have only had my Nitro since 10-2012 and seems most of my running has been done when it is 60F and below. quite a bit at 40F LOL.
    Maybe this next spring/Summer 2014 I can get run more.

19. sybreed85

sybreed85 New Member

20. sybreed85

sybreed85 New Member

i have a redcat racing shockwave and it seems a bit sluggish when i give it throttle...i havent made any adjustments to any of the needles yet. it seems to spit alittle fuel while at idle....maybe lean it out some?