1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Nitro engine, (safe running temperature) help

Discussion in 'Nitro' started by Rdecker20, May 6, 2012.

1. Braden Bodin

Braden Bodin New Member

try messing with your throttle trim and it won't be as sluggish

2. Braden Bodin

Braden Bodin New Member

try messing with the throttle trim and it won't be so sluggish

3. Fabian

Fabian New Member

don't waste the money the cooler doesn't go in the fuel line it actually goes into the exhaust pressure line and from personal experience is a gimmick to grab your money. as far as keeping fuel cool yes it works however near ice, or moisture is a no no, nitro fuel takes in water like nobodies business and will lead to big problems.

with all that said I was just researching operating temps for a VX.18 engine and no where from manufacture to redcat/hsp is an operating temp listed anywhere. I'm currently still breaking in the engine and it is spitting oil out the exhaust like mad and it is extremely hot here in OK today but temps after a tank are 170F, idle is a little high but not to bad if I lower idle at all engine is extremely hard starting and I figure I can correct idle after engine is broken in.

with that having been said is there a generalized operating temp other than just the spit on it posts?

4. Antho11

Antho11 Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Media:

I don't suggest spitting on the engine, use a proper temp gun. Some engines run better at different temperatures, depends on nitro content, glow plug, engine size, ambient temperature, humidity and other factors. 170F is not hot, as long as you don't pass 280-300F your good. My Savage likes it around 260F with a cold plug and 25% nitro.

5. Tombsy

Tombsy Boat Racing Fanatic
    ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    Your plug will tell you.. lean it out until the plug just starts to turn from shiny to a little dull with no distortion on the element and your golden. Your needle settings can vary from changes in temperature, air density, and altitude.

Antho11 likes this.
  6. Snoochies

Snoochies New Member

I would also add, check for airflow through the body/shell. I have a Kyosho FW06 with no holes. I have decided to cut out the windows completely as seen on some high speed run videos, and those guys have no side or rear windows. My engine runs about 180 F to 210 F without body cover. With cover it runs about 200 F - 263 F so, it's considerably higher and would warrant cutting more holes in the body. Hope this helps.