1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Nitro RC Car Tips

Discussion in 'Bashing Chat' started by jdkrs19, Jun 23, 2011.

1. jdkrs19

jdkrs19 New Member

Did you just buy a new RC Nitro Car? Well here are some tips and necessities to maintain your nitro engine.

Tip 1

You should always break in a new nitro engine before you start using it for races or going full throttle. If not, you can severely damage your nitro engine and the repair cost isn't gonna make you smile.

*How do I break in a Nitro Engine?*
    Step 1. First, prime the car. (Plug your finger at the end of the exhaust pipe and pull the pull start without the glow plug ignitor in the engine head)
    Step 2. Start your car (Pull the pull start with the glow plug ignitor in.)
    Step 3. Let your car run for a full tank of gas.(* DO NOT GIVE IT GAS. DO NOT PULL THE THROTTLE TRIGGER*) {Let it run until the engine stops on its own.}
    Step 4. Start your car again. Do figure eights with your car at 1/4 throttle.
    Step 5. Let it cool down and then, your ready to go.

*Hints*
    DO NOT WATCH YOUTUBE FOR BREAK IN PROCESSES. PEOPLE ON YOUTUBE DO NOT KNOW WHAT THEY ARE TALKING ABOUT.( Some people on youtube.) FOLLOW THE YOUTUBE BREAK IN PROCESS AT YOUR OWN RISK.

If you do not like my break in process, go to your local hobby store and ask them. NOT YOUTUBE.

Tip 2

Use 20% Nitro fuel. It will give you the most power in your engine. Preferably Traxxas Fuel. They have great products.

Tip 3

Make sure you tune your Nitro engine. If you do, it will give your engine more power and a longer life time.

Tip 4

Make sure you have spare glow plugs. They can go bad any day or second. (* They tend to die during the break in process *)

Tip 5

Keep your body on. It will definitely protect your car from damage. (Physical Damage) And especially if you race in the dirt, it will protect your engine from getting dirt into it.

Tip 6

You should put after-run oil after every run. When you put it in, you should make sure there is no fuel in the tank.

Tip 7

Keep fuel out of heat. (The Sun) The fuel can go bad.(Stale)

*How to tell if your fuel is stale*

1. If it has a rancid smell, its gone.
    2. If it is a couple years old, just throw it out.

P.S. If you have a full gallon of gas left, the gas makes great weed killer and bug killer. It Kills. :)

Tip 8

When you buy a car, DO NOT BUY ONLINE! They will not give you great support when you need them. Buy a car at your local hobby store. It may be more money, but in the long run, it will be a great decision.

Tip 9

Get brand name Cars.
    Such as Traxxas, Losi, Axial, Kyosho, HPI Racing, Team Associated, etc.

DO NOT GET Exceed. They suck. I have a buggy and the parts break easy. The parts may be A LOT cheaper but trust me, they break so easy.

Tip 10

Get fuel filters. They will help your engine. It will give your engine cooler gas. The gas can warm up from the heat coming from the engine and hot gas isn't so good for the engine.

Tip 11

Check your shocks every once in a while. If you push it down and it doesn't come back up, chances are, you need more shock oil.

Thanks for looking at my post! I appreciate it.

By the way, I'm not a RC expert however, i do know thing that i should. Some of the information listed above may not be as good as other tips, so like i said I'm not a RC Expert.

Thanks,
    Josh

2. Erock

Erock Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Great write up! Did you do that all your self?

3. jdkrs19

jdkrs19 New Member

Yeah, I did it twice. I typed all of it up the first time and then my computer just erased the whole thing. :/ But hey, I still got it up :)

4. Erock

Erock Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Yep, Hope you enjoy it here!

5. crawling wallz

crawling wallz Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

nice write up. After run oil is not neccesaraly to be placed in your mill after every run. I only place after run oil in my engine when i am not going to use it for more than a week. Otherwise i never put it. I have been doing it for 7 or 8 months ever since i got my savage, and still holding up great. On my 3rd gallon

6. beaker5377

beaker5377 New Member

The best 2 tips I have gotten so far (being new to nitro) we: Run it richer until you learn your engine. and Get a temp gun.
    Cruising around thinking this thing is hardcore, then the guys from the lhs come over and told me I was way to lean, and took my temp, was almost 390....

Edit: Ps that was a very good write up too.

7. crawling wallz

crawling wallz Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

LMAO 390??? The engine should have been toast. Most nitro's take up to 360. You got lucky. I never use a temp gun, to be honest the gun is not helpfull, i tune by hearing. I have had a lot of 2 stroke dirt bikes and quads, and i have experience, by just hearing the motor.

8. beaker5377

beaker5377 New Member

Aye, I'm surprised it wasn't toast. But we pulled the head and it all still looks new. I'm getting the hang of tuning by sound/performance. I still check every now and then with the gun to be sure though.

9. rob

rob Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

good piece of info
    cheers!

10. imtowman

imtowman <b>RCSparks Addict</b> <br />
    ELiTE MEMBER

Nice write up man two thumbs up.

11. monsterair

monsterair New Member

nice write up: the only thing i have to say is when breaking a motor in you should run between 5-8 tank through

1st: 1 tank on idle. restart if you have to
    2nd 1/4 throttle figure 8s
    3rd1/4 and 1/2 throttle
    4th1/2and 3/4 throttle
    5th3/4and full throttle

all of the different rpm will get the motor running strong giving it a long lifespan

12. jdkrs19

jdkrs19 New Member

Thanks guys! this was when i was first into nitro and i got into the hobby really quickly! I have fun with this! thanks

13. ShadesofPain

ShadesofPain Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Great write up man. Except you can't always buy from your local hobby shop. In my case that means more than a hour and a half, one way. That just means we need more hobby shops.

14. jdkrs19

jdkrs19 New Member

Yessir indeed. But generallly, as a 13 year old, I don't really have a choice. I have to bike there. Thank God that my hobby shop is about 10 minutes away :)

15. FadiJub

FadiJub New Member

Hello,
    Today i'll get my new rc nitro car!
    I know all the things about rc nitro car(Learned Online)
    Okay now... First of all i need to break in the new engine, So which percent of nitro i should use 20% or 25%?
    Next i'm about to tune my engine after breaking in(I know how to tune it)...But what if something went wrong i'm not sure if i can do it!!
    And please tell me how to know if the engine is on an operating temperature?(Without a meter/nfc gun)
    All i need to know is these two/three things:)
    Waiting for you answer...!
    Thanks,
    Fadi Jubran.

16. Antho11

Antho11 Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    What rc is it? It doesn't matter what % you use to break in. Tuning relies on how much experience you have, the more you try the better you'll get. If your worried just reset the needles to stock settings and restart, and if you stay on the richer side you won't screw up. It's pretty hard to tell what the temp is without a temp gun, you should get one as soon as possible. There is something called the water test or spit test, I've never used so I'm not to sure how it works. It has something to do with putting a drop of water on the cooling head and see how fast it evaporates.

17. Hpi-guy

Hpi-guy Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    Great write up! I have no clue about anything Nitro, but I have some questions.
    Is the Traxxas EZ Start good or garbage?
    How hot should a nitro engine get?
    Where should I take the temp at? (The giant aluminum thing on the top sorry I don't know what it is, the carb, etc?)
    Is Sidewinder fuel good?
    How the heck does fuel get pumped into the engine without a fuel pump? Must be some dark magic I don't know about.

18. Antho11

Antho11 Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    Thank you if your talking to me, I'm not sure if you are Hpi-guy. I don't have any experience with any electric starts systems, but I do have my opinions on pullstarts. I prefer pullstarts because I don't like having to worry about charging the battery for it and carrying something else along. Pullstarts work just as well in my opinion. I like to warm up my engine with a heat gun before use, so it starts up easier and is easier on the pullstart.

The temp of the engine depends on the model it's in, the engine size, the nitro % and the ambient temp. Different engines have different temp ranges that they perform better in. If you tell me the engine and rc model I can help you.

You need to take the temp at the glow plug. It's at the bottom of the cooling head. Make sure to take the temp quickly after the rc stops in front of you or else the engine will cool down.

I use Sidewinder fuel and I'm very happy with the performance. Make sure to keep the red plug always in the bottle and tighten the cap well. When you reach about half way squeeze the bottle so you can get the air out and close the bottle. Keep it in a cool dry place. I can point you in the right direction for nitro % if you give me the model.

Black magic is a good way to describe it lol! The pressure line that is connected to the pipe and connected to the tank creates a vaccum which sucks the fuel into the engine.

19. FadiJub

FadiJub New Member

thanks for your responding it was helpful Thanks again:)

20. MaxximusRC

MaxximusRC Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    Antho11 is partially right about the fuel percentage, it doesn't matter for break in as long as it is at least %20. BUT make sure you use the same percentage from there on, do not change it. Each brand of rc has its own break in procedures and make sure you follow them.