1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

NOOB question in regards 5ive t carb

Discussion in 'Large Scale RC' started by marchoman, May 24, 2014.

1. marchoman

marchoman New Member

Hey guys,
    Iam totally new to RC, and iam saving towards a new Losi 5ive T.
    Ive watched heeps of videos on youtube on the 5ive T and now have a noob kinda question.
    ok so i see and hear alot about lean and rich in regards to the carburator.
    Can someone explain this to me simply.How does it affect the truck and how do you tell if its lean or rich.
    I hope iam making sense. sorry.
    Look forward to any response
    cheers

2. Crankbait

Crankbait Think...
    ELiTE MEMBER

Both are in regards to the Air/Fuel mixture.
    Lean is when there is more air than fuel, it will cause 2 stroke air cooled motors to run hot, and usually there will be little or no exhaust smoke.
    Rich is just the opposite, there is more fuel in the mix than the motor can burn, tons of smoke and raw fuel coming out of the exhaust.

Both of my examples are the extreme side of both, but usually when you get it set right with a 2 stroke you wont have to change it again.

Here is a link to a very good resource on the subject- 2 Stroke Tuners Handbook/Guide - HPIBajaForum

3. marchoman

marchoman New Member

this is great thankyou

4. mickyd213

mickyd213 Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

If you run a motor to lean for to long you can also seize the engine. Good place to start when tuning is 1 1/4 turns ccw on the low speed needle and 1 1/2 turns ccw on the high speed needle. (from fully closed in position) These are the factory settings for the 668 carb which usually comes with the Losi 5ive.

5. TeK

TeK the 1/5th Scale BOSS
    ELiTE MEMBER