1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

not sure what to choose for my first rc?

Discussion in 'Newbie Q & A' started by Prokart2000, May 26, 2015.

1. Prokart2000

Prokart2000 New Member

2. Y2daT

Y2daT Over Powered RC
    ELiTE MEMBER

what interest you the most. speed and jumps. or crawling and mud. or just general bashing. the slash vxl is fast and fun and a good racer/basher.

3. Prokart2000

Prokart2000 New Member

im not sure, i like driving on road, i like driving off road, some of the crawling on the rc sparks channel looks cool, just wondering if there are any suggestions on other trucks or any parts i should get (for example lipo charger and battery)

4. Prokart2000

Prokart2000 New Member

mostly im not sure what trucks are reliable and good and nes that are not as i have never owned an rc before

5. Krent

Krent Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

The Slash VXL 4x4 is a good all around for pretty much everything except crawling. You won't do much and it will go way too fast to crawl...speed will not grant torque which you want for crawling. I saw a cool video on the slash was went something like...
    "Jumping? it can do that. Racing? It does that too. Waterproof? Yep. Crawling? Well it fails that. Did we mention it's fast?"
    So for a first, I'd say go for that 4x4 Slash. When you can, go for a Wraith or a Honcho to get into Crawling and upgrading.
    But of course, that's my opinion, good luck and have fun!

6. Prokart2000

Prokart2000 New Member

The slash 4x4 is a bit too expensive, something closer to £300 if possible, I live in uk so I would like it to be a UK website

7. Krent

ELiTE MEMBER

The Slash in your link above is at 329 and shows as 4X4 in it's description. That should be great as a first time RC. Mine was a similar (but smaller) Bandit 2WD and it seriously got me hooked. The 2WD is just as fast, but I think the 4WD is just easier to control and has a bit more versatility, but if it's too much, the 2WD version of the slash will be cheaper (but I don't see it on this site) or choose a Bandit or even the Rustler which is really close to a Bandit. The two are almost completely interchangeable (with a few modifications). I'd push for a Slash over a Bandit though for personal preference.
    Using the same UK site...

Bandit: http://www.modelsport.co.uk/traxxas-bandit-vxl-2.4-ghz-rtr-blue-/rc-car-products/389476

Rustler: http://www.modelsport.co.uk/traxxas-rustler-vxl-tqi-red-/rc-car-products/388419

Hope this helps. I feel a lot of folks start with Traxxas as most local hobby stores and online sites carry nearly every breakable part and it's easier/cheaper to replace. So don't get too discouraged over price...know that it's easily fixed if it breaks so you'll have it for quite awhile.

lout likes this.
  8. Prokart2000

Prokart2000 New Member

Thanks for the help but if you look on the site they have another listing which is more and says slash 4x4 so idk

9. Krent

ELiTE MEMBER

Very strange...looks like they may have copy/pasted the specs between them. If that's the case, the cheaper version is likely the 2WD version. Very strange indeed though. :(
    Or the pricier version is the new Ultimate or the one with On Board Audio...so many Slash versions out there now!

10. Prokart2000

Prokart2000 New Member

For around that price range would you recommend anything else apart from a slash? And should ingrt lipos eventually

11. Y2daT

Y2daT Over Powered RC
    ELiTE MEMBER

yes HPI Blitz it will compete with the slash vxl and is 350.00 rtr and is known for being tough
    yes you will want lipo as soon as your getting killed by the comp ... A decent 11.1 v battery will make either truck fast ... they also like high amp battery's ..
    my buddys slash will make my 160 amp batterys hot and I would not go less if i were buying for one . for good and affordable batteries look @ hobby king the zippy and Turinigy brands are decent for the price and they will post the amperage out puts as well as the dimensions on the website
    if you decide to go NIMH batteries for ease of use and worry free storage . then go ahead and get a lipo charger as it will charge the nimh and lipos so you will be ready if you upgrade to lipo in the future

12. Prokart2000

Prokart2000 New Member

I've saw the vaterra ascender and I like it I just need help with a few things
    How do I balance charge a ec3 battery?
    The charger is sky rc e4
    What settings on that charger can i charge a 2s on

13. Cokedriver

Cokedriver Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    IMOP if you are looking for something that will go offroad and onroad and rock crawl and be able to speed around a track I would recommend the Axial Wraith Spawn.

The RTR version comes with everything you will need to get started except a battery and charger.

Batteries: A lot of people run 3s in there trail/crawler rigs. If you go brushed this will chew your brushes up faster then a 2s but you will have more torque and top speed with 3s. Also from what has been said to me in the forums here and my personl experience when it comes to lipos get what you can afford.
    Charger: I personally recommend Dynamite Prophet Sport Duo also in THIS video you will see MEDiC review the Quattro of the Dynamite Prophet which he uses.

Hope this helps you out.
    Coke

14. Prokart2000

Prokart2000 New Member

Would that charger I said do the Job for one 2s lipo
    Also the wraith is a bit too expensive so what is the ascender like as a truck?

15. Cokedriver

ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    The asender is a good truck but does not come with anything but the truck in kit form. Which means you need all electronics to make it run, 2 servos, ESC, radio, receiver and batteries. If I'm not mistaking (as I most of the time am) it comes with a 2 speed tranny is the reason for the second servo.

But if I am mistaken that is still another 150-200 to make it driveable.

For a first rc I recommend RTR so your over all cost is lower. You can (and will more then likely) upgrade from the rtr.

Just my 2 cents.
    Coke.

Prokart2000 likes this.
  16. Prokart2000

Prokart2000 New Member

I've saw the twin hammers rtr and it looks like an all rounder and that's what I want, its brushed but I can still run a 2s lipo and be fine right? I will eventually get a brushless motor and castle ESC. What us this truck like as it seems to be a good rtr package

17. Prokart2000

Prokart2000 New Member

Guys im really undecided, as you lot know alot about them im going to let you suggest them to me and i will look them up, what would you suggest for around £350 (WITH CHARGER AND BATTERY) thanks for everything
    Pro

18. Prokart2000

Prokart2000 New Member

sorry forgot to quote you guys, look at above post please ^^

19. Cokedriver

ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    With a 350 budget it is going to be hard to go new. I would scroll threw eBay and see what you can find. Do a search for "rolling chassis" Then you should only need electronics. Hobbywing seems to have some good entry stuff you can get and ESC and motor for around 50 dollars. Transmitter and Receiver again around 50 dollars then battery's can range from 20-300 dollars just depends on what you want. Then last would be a servo and you can't get a traxxas waterproof one for around 25-40 dollars on eBay. So if you look for a roller for 150-200 that will give you 150-200 for electronics and I think this will be your best bet for a 350 budget.

Coke

20. Cokedriver

ELiTE MEMBER

Media: