1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

not sure what to choose for my first rc?

Discussion in 'Newbie Q & A' started by Prokart2000, May 26, 2015.

1. Y2daT

Y2daT Over Powered RC
    ELiTE MEMBER

that sounds like a good plan to get rolling but it will require patients. and research. before bidding on a used rig ask us if it is new enough to get parts for.
    the twin hammers has great reviews and out preformed a wraith in a heads up u tube review. it is small for 1:10 but is a good crawler.

2. Prokart2000

Prokart2000 New Member

The budget is 350 pounds not dollars if you were getting confused

3. Cokedriver

Cokedriver Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    Yes i was... Sorry I'm in the US so not sure the pounds to dollars convetsion

4. Magnat007

Magnat007 Proud SCX10 Owner
    ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
  5. Krent

Krent Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

My main concern with suggesting say a Trailfinder, Honcho, Wraith or the Ascender is...you said this would be your FIRST RC. You will bash it, crash it and have as much fun as possible with it ("If it ain't broke, you're not having fun") right?

Without some knowledge on how to fix what breaks, you might be throwing some money away. I still say get a Traxxas...either the Slash or something along those lines. For learning you can't really go wrong for them as you should have zero problems finding the parts and tutorials on repairing them.

The first link you posted for that Slash says it comes with a Transmitter and a NiMH battery which is great to start with while you read up on LiPo batteries. When you upgrade to LiPo, that Slash will accept one as the ESC comes with a LiPo low voltage cutoff. That Slash is 4x4, waterproof, super fast and durable. For a first I don't think you can go wrong. The only thing it won't do is crawl.

Edit: Scratch that...yeah, the deadbolt looks good too lol...but you will need to buy a battery, but that should still keep the overall under 350.

#25 Krent, May 29, 2015
    Last edited: May 29, 2015
  6. Prokart2000

Prokart2000 New Member

I was thinking maybe the savage xs with a 2s lipo, it seems durable and fast and good on any surfaces, anyone got any opinions on the savage??

7. Cokedriver

ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    In the end it comes down to what YOU like, bodies can be changed, suspension can be swapped, tires can be upgraded, gearing can be changed. So find something that looks simple to you. Straight axles like the Axial products will be worse off on racing (if that's something you want to do) but will be better for rock crawling and going over things. Traxxas has independant suspension so it will do better on flat surfaces and jumping, but not so good on crawling.

Again pick what you like not what everyone recommends because this is the one thing great about the RC hobby you can have what ever you want.

Coke

Krent likes this.
  8. Prokart2000

Prokart2000 New Member

i just want to know if that would be a good truck to go on the road, grassy/dirt and a bit of more harsh offroading and general bashing or should i get a 2wd slash vxl? I would like your opinion out of the two

9. Cokedriver

ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    I'm not to sure about the hpi savage xs but from the picks it might look like it takes 2 batteries and if that's the case that means you will be doing twice the charging. The slash 2wd or 4wd only takes 1 battery. For me this is always a factor when picking a rig beings I had and older emaxx which had to have 2 batteries to run and when I went out playing my time was cut in half do to the battery issue.

You might want to double check what is required to operate the savage.

Coke

10. Prokart2000

Prokart2000 New Member

I've saw many vids of the savage xs running on a single 2s lipo, just wanted to know hich is better the savage or slash 2wd and why

11. Y2daT

Y2daT Over Powered RC
    ELiTE MEMBER

both good rigs it's like playing enie mini miny mo. if u need dual batteries with a smart charger and a series connector u can charge two at once. there are also several dual chargers that will do two batteries at the same time.

12. Prokart2000

Prokart2000 New Member

Which would you get out of the two and why?

13. Cokedriver

ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    I have only owned 4 types of RC vehicles.

Racing:
    Losi (XXX buggy and truck)
    Traxxas (E-Maxx and 2wd Slash)

Crawling:
    Redcat Everest 10

Scale:
    Axial SCX-10

For me each has a purpose. And if I had to pick I would pick a Slash 4x4 for bashing.

The why, parts Traxxas is a huge company and almost every hobby shop sells parts so there is no need to wait for the mail if you break something on a Friday night, Saturday you can run to your LHS and get the parts and be driving again Saturday night.
    Coke

14. darkside0914

darkside0914 Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    in my opinion you cant go wrong with the ecx trucks. the torment 2wd and 4wd are every bit as good as the slash and half the price ($180 & $240 here in the U.S., theres also a brushless 2wd version for $280, im not sure what those prices would be where your at). the ruckus is a monster truck version of the torment with both 2wd & 4wd versions, same prices as the torment, plus they come fully rtr with everything including transmitter batteries.

15. Prokart2000

Prokart2000 New Member

ECX may be good but I want something more well known and higher quality that's why I was wondering something like a slash 2wd vxl but was wondering if there was any other good bashers?

16. Spence123

Spence123 Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    I have a rustler vxl and out of the box the thing is nearly bullet proof! I have made upgrades as parts broke, but also what is really amazing after having my rustler vxl for 2 years now is the fact that the 2075 servo plastic gears haven't stripped out, it leaves me going "?" so I mean the rustler vxl is heaps of fun, cheap to fix and easy to work on. If you want to save some money, you can buy a roller, and get a cheap hobbywing ez run 60amp combo, and a body, radio set, and some wheels and a servo and be off for about $300 or maybe a little less. There are many good bashers out there, but a rustler built like this will save some money since a velineon system combo is almost $140 shipped vs a cheap hobbywing ez run found as low as $84 shipped, they are a decent set. This is just an IMO thing, the rustler vxl has given me lots of kicks and giggles and taken quite a bit of abuse, I had to fix a few little things, that broke along the way, but at this point in time my rustler vxl's only main weak point is the rear axles since I have upgraded it quite a bit. Only extensive and downright crazy crashes will break this truck as nothing is "bullet proof"

There are many other good bashers out there, but their price point is higher. The rustler vxl is pretty much tough as nails and takes punishment like a boss IMO :)

I have an axial deadbolt ax10, its more of a rock crawler, but has taken abuse and rock rash well too its about the same cost.

The savage flux xs as mentioned above I think only takes one battery, but its a 2s or 3s in parallel if you want to run two due to their being two battery trays. The xs flux I have heard is a decent truck

Its your pick, I would certainly not suggest nitro rc's, they cost way too much to fuel and motors sometimes blow up, nitro is more expensive per quart than per gallon of gasoline fuel, glow plugs burn up, mixture is tough to get right. Some people like nitro, but I am not one of those people, I had a 1/5 gas rc but I then had more fun with my rustler vxl due to the crazy get up and go even on a 2cell lipo it was and still is a hit with me!

#36 Spence123, May 30, 2015
    Last edited: May 30, 2015
  17. monsterrc01

monsterrc01 New Member

Hey guys im new to this site so i dont know how to post but i need help identifying this car ofna 1/8 [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

18. RustyWrench

RustyWrench ...I Always Edit...
    ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    Okay I'm just going to jump in here... @Prokart2000 we all want an RC that can do any and all terrains. And that's why there are Quad Copters... lol.

Like @Cokedriver said each type of RC has a purpose there are many genres some RC's cross over and cover more than one genre.

For example Team Associated SC10 is designed for winning SC races, but you could bash with it at the skate park (not the best basher), or even put drift tires on it, but would it be any good at drifting? Traxxas Slash is good at racing but is a better basher then the SC10. Yet the SC10 is a better racer. Do you see where I am going with this?

It's Like, A SCX10 or Assender will out perform a TF2, G2 in most off road crawling/trails they act more like a real truck scaled down than say an SCX10 or Assender. But you will never be able to crawl well with a Slash or SC10

Then there are things like the Wraith or Twin Hammers, Yeti witch are more into Cross Genres. With the Yeti as the most capable of the Cross Genre RC's in my opinion. Another great Cross Genre is the 1/10 Summit.

You need to figure out which Genre appeals to you the most and start your RC Addiction there.

I know for me, I started out with the Team Associated SC10 and due to my inexperience kept breaking the thing. Tried to bash a racer, I should have gotten a HPI or Traxxas. Then I went to Crawlers, got a Losi Comp Crawler, well the thing can crawl amazing stuff but it is slow, like really slow. Move on to trail trucks, and now that is what I enjoy. Crawl some crazy stuff (not as crazy as the Comp Crawler) with enough wheel speed to get me in and out of trouble. But what I truly Love is the Super Scale like G2 and such. (I also have boats, hey maybe you need a boat... lol)

I guess is what I am saying is it took me some time to find my personal RC Genre. And I am hoping you can draw off of my experience. And find your direction. As far as used stuff goes I would definitely steer a noob away from such risky adventures, if you don't know what to look for you can be easily taken.

Sorry for the long winded post

Dean

Magnat007 likes this.
  19. Prokart2000

Prokart2000 New Member

At the moment its going to be a basher sort of rc and I will look into the rustler

20. Prokart2000

Prokart2000 New Member

The rustler looks quite good, what are the rpm parts like for it and how do you think a 14 year old rc noob could work on it, i can find tutorials too!