1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

not sure what to choose for my first rc?

Discussion in 'Newbie Q & A' started by Prokart2000, May 26, 2015.

1. Spence123

Spence123 Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    It is very easy and straight forward to work on, even a beginner would be able to figure out how to take it apart just from experimenting, right now, what happened a few winters ago, was I was driving it while it was really cold, and both rear shock shafts bent while I was jumping(likely the shock fluid turned to concrete it was so cold) and I broke one rear hub carrier, after that, I upgraded to RPM rear a-arms, and TINI hardened steel shock shafts, and RPM rear hub carriers, what RPM does for you is give you nice flexable plastic that doesn't break but The RPM bumpers DO NOT buy, I had one, and within a few months of normal running and crashing into things I broke it, the stock little bumper held up fine. Nothing broke right out of the box, the rear tires are good but wear out quickly, I would suggest pro-line badlands 2.8" pre-mounted for rears only, or Pro-line gladiators 2.8" so you won't have to gear down, just don't run on pavement. My pro-line badlands after nearly 2 years are pretty much low on tread, but I drove around on pavement, and dirt and did huge burnouts which wore them out, but they lasted quite a while.

The RPM parts that I have on it now, are front and rear a-arms, and rear hub carriers. You will get a kick out of the rustler vxl with all the wheelies even on a 2cell lipo pack, I can't imagine this thing on 3s lol. I also have titanium nitride coated hardened rear shock shafts, I bought traxxas slash HD driveshafts: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Traxxas-685...733?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item485d5db97d
    They are plastic, but still last a long time, and they are relatively inexpensive too. One more little niggle that bothered me a little with this truck was the shear pin that broke at least 3times inside the trani case. After getting annoyed, I found a 1/32 drill bit or 1.5mm allen key that I didn't want and ground it to make it fit in replacement for the shear pin. Now at the moment, I think my rustler vxl has all the kinks ironed out for now.

If you don't treat it as poorly as I did, if may not break as much;)
    I think you should get the rustler vxl as traxxas support is great, and if you have any issues out of the box or very soon, you can call them up and have some parts fixed or replaced either free or very low cost.

what you need to start if you want the rustler vxl is a traxxas 2935 charger, and a traxxas 3300mah 2s lipo. This is what I got and it lasted quite a while, but the 2935 takes nearly 5hours to charge sadly. So in the future I would recommend like a hobbyking charger, as they don't cost much, and you can be up and running in as little as 1 hour if you fast charge a battery

Sorry to overwhelm a beginner, but once a few kinks of the rustler vxl get ironed out, it is a very fun rc. The rustler vxl is labeled as a 1/10 stadium truck, but most use it for bashing. The vxl has all ball bearings, and hex hardware and a brushless system and metal adjustable camber links vs the rustler xl-5 which is old school with Phillips head screws, plastic camber links, brushed motor and esc system, bushings not bearings.

Its your pick, i just really have enjoyed the amount of power this beast has for a 2s lipo, and how much fun I have had with it so far

#41 Spence123, May 31, 2015
    Last edited: May 31, 2015
  2. Prokart2000

Prokart2000 New Member

ok thanks this is what i was looking for, some feedback from an owner, can the truck take a good old bashing, and it will only be nimh to start with for money reasons, i will look into upgrading to, the main thing that worries me is the front steering setup will get smashed and broke as its quite close to the front, what are your opinions.
    AND THANKS!

3. Spence123

ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    I haven't broken a castor block or bent a hinge pin after all the abuse I have put it through. I didn't break the stock a-arms, I just replaced them because there was too much slop. Yes the truck can take abuse, with practice(I still need some) it jumps pretty well. From my testing, if you beat on it enough, you will break a king pin and bust a castor block, but I haven't broken any of those, even from hard hits on pavement and other nasty abuse, like jumping over ramped curbs and what not. If you do break a castor block and bend a hinge pin, you can get aluminum ones. A tbone racing bumper for the front is a great choice for the rustler or rustler vxl: http://www.ebay.com/itm/62001-TBR-B...405?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1c4f619895. I don't suggest nitro since it is too hard to get right, I haven't even owned one(a friend gave me a saito fa-40 4 stroke nitro airplane motor and I got it to run and then it broke) Nitro is pricey and per quart it cost more than gas per gallon. Electric is plug nplay goodness, I have taken my rustler vxl to many places like even on vacation, to parks, to a beach not far from me, nobody made a stink about it. Another issue that is sometimes a little annoying that happens when you jump is the plastic shock caps pop off, they don't break they just pop off, I have dealt with this, but to prevent it is to buy some alloy shock caps and this issue goes away. The NIMH is enough to get you started, but a lipo pack is best for brushless, I am on a budget too, but I have upgraded it as I went. really I got a kick out of this truck right out of the box and i hope you will too:)

#43 Spence123, May 31, 2015
  4. Prokart2000

Prokart2000 New Member

I will upgrade as I go too, I will get lipo down the line, looks like rustler so then one to get at the moment, how is the bandit off road from a grass field to quite extreme off. Reading and jumps?

5. Spence123

ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    I think the rustler or rustler vxl is a better bet, the bandit or bandit vxl is I think a little more narrow, and has really small wheels. The rustler vxl can go on rough terrain, but it is no crawler, not even close. If you want a sorta king of hammers rc, an axial yeti with a few upgrades would be decent, or the vaterra twin hammers as some mentioned further above. The bandit is very similar in that it has the same esc placement, same chassis, but different body, wheels, and narrower track. Jumping a rustler takes some practice off big jumps, like there are some techniques with pitch control in the air like punching the throttle or tapping the brakes to control the pitch attitude. I would suggest the rustler vxl over the brushed xl-5, but either is good

6. Prokart2000

Prokart2000 New Member

OK the rustler seems like a great bet, hopefully it stays at £319 at my website

7. RustyWrench

RustyWrench ...I Always Edit...
    ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    Traxxas are not hard to work on. It's like anything else. Keep a clean and organized working area. My 11 year old daughter rebuilt four shocks between races at the track one day. She finished in 2nd place...

Anyway I think you are on the right track with Traxxas. I personally wouldn't go and start replacing anything until it breaks.

Post Up some picks when you decide, love to see it.

Dean

8. Spence123

ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    I meant to say "if it ain't broke don't fix it" the rustler vxl has been good to me, I just ran it and had a blast. Its cheap to fix if it breaks, very fun to drive and bash with, easy to work on. I upgraded as parts wore out or broke, and upgraded to a stronger part from the one that broke. Really I grantee you will have a blast with it

9. Prokart2000

Prokart2000 New Member

ok thanks for all the feedback, rustler it is then for now!
    last thing how do i balance charge lipos and is there any weak points on it?

10. Cokedriver

Cokedriver Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    Depending on the charger you get if its for Lipo it should come with a built in balancer if not you will need to purchase one.

I personally recommend the Dynamite Prophet Sport Duo for me it works great because I have both Lipo and Nimh batteries.

UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCE DO NOT CHARGE A LIPO WITH OUT A BALANCER...
    you can explode the battery or start a fire.

All LiPO's are splash proof beings the cells are air tight but the circuits in them are not so if you want to make them waterproof you will need to either waterproof them yourself or purchase the expensive MaxAmps batteries that are waterproof.

Coke

11. Prokart2000

Prokart2000 New Member

How would I set it up to balance, just plug in or is there certain wires or methods?

12. Prokart2000

Prokart2000 New Member

And is there one that's good on that website modelsport

13. Prokart2000

Prokart2000 New Member

I've got a hard decision as the hpi e firestorm is meant to be very good and is a lot cheaper so what would you go for?

14. Cokedriver

ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    Yes its just plug in the balance plug from the battery and let it go.

Here is the Dynamite Prophet Sport Duo on you site.

Hope this helps you out.

Coke

15. Prokart2000

Prokart2000 New Member

Is there anything around the £50 mark on model sport?

16. Spence123

ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    I think you should get the rustler vxl, I have had good experience with it, its all opinion based, and their are a lot of after market parts for traxxas rc's, I mean a lot. Look on hobbyking in the EU warehouses for a charger, they don't cost much, and you can get an account and live chat with hobbyking and find a power supply that will work with the charger. I am going with what I know, the rustler vxl has been good with me, its hard to break, some people just get unlucky..... Either is good, but I would buy the rustler vxl, as it is likely faster even tho they are both brushless. The front of the e firestorm looks a little less beefy than the rustler vxl. The e firestorm has metal dogbone axles. I am just saying I am sticking to what I know... and the rustler vxl is my fav. Its your pick man

#56 Spence123, May 31, 2015
  17. Prokart2000

Prokart2000 New Member

on urc someguy says it has metal driveshafts and more durable parts, also is this charger good? http://www.modelsport.co.uk/dynamit...-dc-battery-charger-uk/rc-car-products/387945 it looks good

18. Spence123

ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    Not sure if it includes a power chord, but yes that is a decent charger. So your going the firestorm flux route huh? That's fine, I think the rustler vxl and the firestorm are about the same, its all opinion based tho. honestly just saying more companies make upgrade parts for traxxas stuff for the most part sometimes, but RPM does make parts for the firestorm nevermind

#58 Spence123, May 31, 2015
  19. Prokart2000

Prokart2000 New Member

yes most likely!, by power cable do you mean one like this? http://www.modelsport.co.uk/etronix-charge-lead-4mm-to-deans-male/rc-car-products/35585

20. Cokedriver

ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    That one looks fine.

I know you want "INDESTRUCTIBLE" but please understand no matter what RC you decide to get they all BREAK. Your RC is only as strong as your weakest part, eventually you will have to fix something. But remember when looking it is really hard to switch from 2wd to 4wd on the same rig, you can always take out the front diff and have a 2wd for more speed.

I'm kicking myself in the butt for getting the 2wd slash over the 4wd slash.