1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

not sure what to choose for my first rc?

Discussion in 'Newbie Q & A' started by Prokart2000, May 26, 2015.

1. Spence123

Spence123 Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    Well, its usually cost, 4x4's typically cost more, and are harder to work on, more parts, sometimes the bevel gears need shimming.... I am totally happy with my rustler vxl, its jumps great, and is a blast, I have other rc's for crazy off roading like my summit(which at the moment needs some money thrown at it) or my deadbolt ax 10 crawler. Either choice is good firestorm or rustler vxl, there is also a low cost duratrax evader ex2 I think that is brushed but all metal gear and all ball bearing and is asking for brushless. As cokedriver said nothing is bullet proof, you can break anything..... There is also the HPI bullet flux which I think they sell a 4wd one

#61 Spence123, May 31, 2015
    Last edited: May 31, 2015
  2. Prokart2000

Prokart2000 New Member

i know but if i have stronger parts they wont have to replaced as often

3. Spence123

ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    Here is the thing, RTR's typically in this price range don't have a lot of strength upgraded parts, both the rustler vxl and the e10 firestorm will be pretty much identically durable except having metal axles. Its when you spend some $$ do you get a durable rc with aftermarket parts. metal or alloy everything doesn't mean strength tho, having a plastic nylon FRP chassis is better than having an alloy chassis due to it being lighter and being more flexible for bashers. Alloy a arms aren't good either, nor bumpers, since it will break other things. To make an rc super duper bullet proof, you would need RPM a arms, alloy castor blocks, alloy bulkhead, metal driveshafts, shock caps alloy...... Either rc will do, both the firestorm and the rustler vxl cost about the same

4. Prokart2000

Prokart2000 New Member

on modelsport the hpi is alot cheaper! over £50

5. Spence123

ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    I am just saying either you pick parts will eventually break, its kinda part of the hobby, they sell replacement parts for a reason lol, enjoy which ever one you buy

#65 Spence123, May 31, 2015
    Last edited: May 31, 2015
    Y2daT and Prokart2000 like this.
  6. Y2daT

Y2daT Over Powered RC
    ELiTE MEMBER

all the rc's suggested have parts support from RPM the most indistructabile plastic parts on the market . and they are life time warranted and priced close to stock parts .. much cheaper than alloy and tough as nails . :) just adding a rpm bumper to the front of any rc is a major parts saver

#66 Y2daT, Jun 6, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2015
  7. Spence123

ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    Actually not here to argue, but I broke the RPM brand bumper that I put on my rustler vxl, the plastic isn't flexable enough lol. I agree, RPM is good for a-arms and bumpers and shock towers. I agree there, alloy a arms are a big no no, RPM all the way

8. Y2daT

Y2daT Over Powered RC
    ELiTE MEMBER

And that the is the first time I've read where some one broke their plastic rpm anything. U must have hit hard. Did it save the rest of the rustler? I totaled my t 3 hitting a mailbox at about 40 mph broke the chassis ,steering,bulkhead, bottom plate ...ect.
    To stay on topic I rebuilt. have rpm arms and a rpm t4 bumper . and have crashed at 60 mph with out breaking . although I bent a couple tie rods. The point is get one you like and play if something gets broke . replace with a rpm plastic part if available. To increase bash ability. I also recommend stock tie rods with rpm ends. The stock rods are cheap and can be straightened if bent. The titanium rods I've used snap and are not cheap

#68 Y2daT, Jun 9, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2015