1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AXIAL OHOs Axial Yeti RTR

Discussion in 'Crawler Build Projects' started by OHO, Aug 4, 2016.

1. OHO

OHO Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Firstly, apologies if this is in the wrong section, if it is, please could a member of staff move it to the correct section, thanks! :)

As some may know, I had one of these previously, the kit version though.
    Now, I sold it because it handled like absolute crap, so I didn't really consider another one, but having been to my LHS I got talking to the guy and he explained the RTRs come with a live front diff but my kit came with a lock front diff (now thinking about it, that would create the absolutely terrible handling) so I decided to take a gamble and picked up an RTR.
    Happy to report, it handles 50x better than the kit one I had did.
    I don't plan on going stupid on upgrades, but I know a few people enjoy looking at my pictures and watching my videos so I thought I'd make a thread for it :)
    I first ran it on a 2s and thought it actually ran pretty good, for a 3150kv motor... I then ran it on 3s and realised it was completely unnecessary for what I want to use the truck for, so I'm sticking with 2s but I've ordered a range of pinions for it and plan on moving to about an 18-19 from the stock 16, just so it doesn't top out quite so quickly, but power wise, it's great on a 2s for my needs, motor was cold, ESC was cold, LiPo was cold, they fit better in the trays and I have more 2s than 3s, so an overall win.
    Must admit, I'm impressed with how versatile it is, while I'm not the first to have one, I will still share my personal thoughts and insights because the ground I run on can be quite demanding sometimes, even if the footage doesn't always show it, so it'll be interesting to use it as a bit of a fast crawler and share my thoughts from that perspective, running alongside my SCX10.
    Anyway, I'll stop rambling and show some pictures and videos... Hope you enjoy!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

lout likes this.
  2. OHO

OHO Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Here's part two of the previously uploaded video and a few pictures taken from the boating lake when I was stretching the Yetis legs!
    Hope you enjoy :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

00whynot and lout like this.
  3. kyle steet

kyle steet New Member

what a beast:rcsparksmt:

OHO likes this.
  4. OHO

OHO Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Thanks man :)

We found a new bash site tonight, completely by chance, it's a quarry, but they don't work weekend, it actually seems reasonably popular with dog walkers and nobody seems to mind, so we'll no doubt be heading here from time to time of an evening or weekend.
    Few pictures I took tonight, although no video because it really was just a chance encounter.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. OHO

OHO Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Some shiny new SSD 2.2s fitted today.

I've only been through a couple of light splashes and the tyres were loaded with water, decided I needed some sealed ones.

Look better, added a touch of even weight and are sealed, jobs a good'un!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

K9654 and lout like this.
  6. OHO

OHO Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

During the run in the quarry I noticed the steering getting stuck a lot due to little stones getting into the steering assembly.

So this evening I decided to make some crud/stone guards.

Made from styrene, mainly for testing purposes, I may make some out of thick rubber for durability and flexibility, but we'll see how these go to begin with.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

00whynot and lout like this.
  7. OHO

OHO Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Received my Robinson Racing Gen3 slipper and spur today from Oscar [​IMG]
    Looks nice and should eliminate the possibility of stripping a spur, also decided to grab a Robinson Racing pinion at the same time just so they're both of equal strength and one isn't likely to make the other fail.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

K9654 and lout like this.
  8. OHO

OHO Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

This Yeti is fast becoming one of my favourite RCs, it feels the perfect mixture of speed and crawling ability.
    Unfortunately this video was cut quite short because my steering went, thankfully it turned out to be 14 little stones stuck all around the steering assembly.
    I need to come up with something else with regards to the stone guards, but still enjoyed it and thought I'd upload the video anyway.
    First time using the head mount for ages as well.
    As always, please subscribe/like/share etc... It's very appreciated, for anyone who does it! :)
    I apologise for the border, I don't know why they keep randomly uploading like that... They aren't like that when played via my PC, I shall have to ask YouTube what's going on with that!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. OHO

OHO Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Another great day spent with the Yeti, this time my Dad brought his Tamiya Holiday Buggy along, here's some of the footage I caught.
    I apologise for the border, I really don't know why it keeps randomly doing that, I'm unsure if it's my camera settings or the editing software I'm using, but I'll try and sort it ASAP!
    Enjoy!
    As always, please feel free to subscribe and share, I really appreciate it! :D

10. OHO

OHO Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Had my Yeti and SCX10 out this evening.
    Very enjoyable time, although the SCX10 seems to keep wanting to stop and it's making a screeching noise.
    I'm not 100% sure what it is yet, but I'll investigate it at some point.
    The Yeti ran fine until I snapped something on the front end, I've yet to find out if it's a knuckle or chubs or the arm itself, will also investigate that further and buy parts as needed.
    Gives me something to do tomorrow anyway! :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. OHO

OHO Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Well, it appears both my knuckle and castor block are broken.
    The funny thing is, it was on such a weak impact, so it must have either already been cracked or just very unlucky.
    I will inspect the other side because that had a few hits while I was out and about.
    Time for some upgrades I think.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. OHO

OHO Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Received my RCMart order the other day containing my SSD trailing arms, mine have been bent from the first run but only just got round to replacing them while I was ordering other stuff.

Also gave this a good beat down when out with the 5ive, Baja, Viper etc... Rather enjoyed jumping it on the smoother jumps this place provided, first time of having it there, it performed well.

Also using a new tyre, which is a copy I got on eBay got 12quid for a complete set, can't grumble at all, they gripped well and have no wear signs at all.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

sweet rc and 00whynot like this.
  13. sweet rc

sweet rc Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    Dang, That thing is Sweet

OHO likes this.
  14. OHO

OHO Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Thanks man!
    Went out today with the Yetis, ended up seriously bending one of my axles and ripping one of the newly fitted trailing arms out.
    I was sending it off a bit of a stupid jump into a pile of rocks though, I'm amazed the chassis didn't snap to hear some of the landings, real eye waterers lol!
    I will upload some pictures at a later date, possibly some video too if any of the little clips I got are worth editing.
    Having a lot of computer troubles at the moment though, so not sure if I'll get any editing done until I've either fixed this one or bought another.
    This is how the rod end looked after 3 jumps into these rocks anyway, not to mention the deep grooves in the trailing arm itself... Maybe it was a bit of a stupid thing to do lol.

[​IMG]

sweet rc likes this.
  15. DRUNKMAR1NE

DRUNKMAR1NE Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    I just run the reinforced stock ones that came with the kit

16. OHO

OHO Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Here's some footage we got yesterday of the Yetis bashing around.
    It was the first time my Dads used his in anger, he ran it the other day for a very brief while, but this was the first proper run for him.
    Ended up breaking mine as you'll see at the end of the video.
    Also some photos I got from the bash too.
    Hope you enjoy :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

sweet rc likes this.
  17. OHO

OHO Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Here's some footage and pictures from yesterday, out with both Yetis and the Summit.
    Great day was had all round.
    This was really a testing experiment with my Nikon to see how different settings did different things and such, also tried different angles and even sat it on the Summit!
    So it's not perfect, but it's really just a testing video for myself, but I thought I'd share anyway because it came out quite nice :)
    I would highly value some feedback on the video as a whole.
    This was shot at 1080p 50FPS on a Nikon DSLR... I'm sure my editing software is killing the quality a bit when I'm exporting it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

sweet rc likes this.
  18. OHO

OHO Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Well, we took the Yetis out for a bit of an impromptu bash, I had a rather nasty landing before the camera was turned on and completely snapped my axle housing, I show it early on in the video, so you know the reason one of the Yetis is failing at most stuff is because I was running in 3 wheel drive, with a live front axle, I had very little drive at all.
    I kept it going though, my motto is, if it will still move, I'll still beat on it.
    Didn't break anything else on the day thankfully, which is surprising with the fall my Dads Yeti took at the end, that drop is bigger than it appears on the camera due to being so zoomed in, the depth of field is deceiving, these Yetis keep on surprising us with what they will do and the kind of beating they will take.

sweet rc likes this.
  19. OHO

OHO Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

I thought I'd make a slightly different video today, I decided I wanted to repaint my Axial Yetis interior, for several reasons, mainly to make it look a bit different and also to make it easier for myself and my Dad to tell them apart when bashing, but also to take the shine away and make it stand out a little more at a distance.
    I decided I'd film while I was doing it, just for something different to add to my channel, plus it might help someone along the way, which is always a good thing.
    I'm really interested to get feedback on this, as this is my first time making this kind of video, so any comments at all, good or bad, are very welcome, I hope to make some more 'bench' videos, whether it's modification, repair, paint or whatever else, so any feedback people can give would be highly appreciated!
    I already know I could have spoken a bit more fluidly, but I wasn't too well prepared, it was a bit on the fly, so that is already noted from watching the video back myself.
    Hope you enjoy the video! [​IMG]

sweet rc likes this.
  20. OHO

OHO Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Had some problems yesterday with my Yeti not wanting to move... Electrics weren't hot and the battery wasn't dead.
    Discovered this lot round the prop shaft, it was wound round so tightly, it was creating too much resistance for the non sensored electrics!
    I think I need to trim this afro down a bit! [​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG]

b1uefox and sweet rc like this.