1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

OHOs Thunder Tiger Avanti

Discussion in 'Boat Build Projects' started by OHO, Aug 19, 2016.

1. OHO

OHO Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

So, this isn't really going to be much of a 'build' thread or anything, but a few people like myself seemed interested in getting a boat but weren't sure, so I thought I would post my thoughts, pictures and videos here as I go along, just in case it helps someone.
    My aim for a boat was primarily good handling, secondary was a little bit of speed, but nothing silly fast.
    After a few nights of trawling the web, the Proboat Shockwave and Thunder Tiger Avanti had my attention.
    Popped down to the model shop, after some bits and pieces of advice, plus the fact my friend burned out 2 stock Shockwave ESCs in a matter of minutes each with a 3s, I settled on the Avanti, having used my mates Shockwave, I know they aren't the most stable boat in the world, so I thought for comparison I'd get the Avanti.
    Well, so far it's run great, the battery box fits a 2200 Overlander and a 2900 Overlander 3s in there perfectly.
    Apparently, the electrics will accept a 4s, but I won't be trying it, if I want more speed (which I may do for testing purposes soon) I will opt for a higher kv motor and may even drop down to a 2s.
    I've found it handles incredibly well, several chaps at the boating lake commented how planted it was (on my first ever run I'd like to point out, so I'm far from an expert) and so far I've not flipped it or rolled it.
    After 3 packs, the motor and ESC are still only warm, which considering they are fairly well hidden and it was on a hot day, is pretty impressive.
    I'd definitely say it's worth buying, I chucked it in, two seconds later I was grinning from ear to ear at how easy it can be flicked around, which is good, because it isn't the fastest thing out there.
    For all out speed, the Shockwave definitely wins, but that wasn't my aim.
    As I say, I'm no expert, but I just wanted to post some information for anyone who is undecided.
    My opinion so far is, money well spent and I'm thoroughly enjoying my boating experience thus far.
    Below is some photos and video of it... Only the second visit to the lake and already I've been test dummy for their little row boat [​IMG] not an experience I thought I'd have so soon!
    But a successful rescue mission was accomplished [​IMG] and no wet feet!
    It also gave me a chance to test out my new DSLR, although I forgot to get some footage from it, so this is just from the SJ4000.
    Just a note, the water isn't dirty, it's a green dye they use to try and keep the weeds down [​IMG]
    (just for fun, 10 points to the first person to spot the love related item in a picture)
    Enjoy [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

One of Rays petrols getting ready for some wet goodness!

[​IMG]

Ray, emptying the water from his boat, while his fuel tank leaked, with a fag in his mouth [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Ummmm, how does this one work?! [​IMG]

[​IMG]

And at one point my little Avanti decided to try and pull all the weeds from the entire lake, damn good effort.

[​IMG]

And finally, me on my rescue mission

[​IMG]

lout and walter like this.
  2. lout

lout Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    Oh lovely!

The water makes a heart shape in the 6th piccy! ;)

OHO likes this.
  3. OHO

OHO Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

10 points to you sir.
    You're the only one who has got it right lol.
    Or maybe the only one who was interested? :p

lout likes this.
  4. OHO

OHO Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

After much mulling it over, I decided to add a new motor to this, for several reasons.
    My original motor and the ESC are really cool after 3 straight packs, but the speed isn't blistering and the LiPos are getting hot because I'm on full power for almost the entire pack.
    My thinking is, if I go up in kv, I won't be hammering the throttle so much and hopefully that should help with the LiPo temps.
    I've added a cooling coil round the motor, made by me so it's not the neatest job in the world but it was my first try.
    Obviously, having a bit more speed isn't a bad thing either.
    Both my motor and ESC can handle 4s, so I'm guessing the extra kv, on 3s, won't overload the ESC in anyway, again, especially as I won't be on full power all the time.
    The new motor is also almost double the length (the red bit of the old motor was purely for cooling and wasn't a working part of the motor) so that should help a lot in effiency (I hope) but only testing will really answer my questions.
    The old motor was 1900kv, on 3s, gave me 21,090rpm.
    The new motor is a 2630kv, on 3s, should give me 29,193rpm.
    An 8,103rpm jump is quite a lot, but I plan on testing slowly and building up, it won't get hammered from the get go.
    I'll also have my temp gun to hand to check everything at roughly 60 second intervals.
    Fingers crossed for some testing next week!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

lout likes this.
  5. lout

lout Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    Nothing wrong with that cooling coil. Copper conducts better than aluminium anyways :)

OHO likes this.
  6. OHO

OHO Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

I think maybe I could have made it a little tighter, it's not in contact with the motor 100% of the way round, but it should hopefully do lol.
    Testing on Tuesday if the weather stays nice for us :D

7. OHO

OHO Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Well, a bit of a disaster all round today, in total we had 8 boats there and only 2 came back actually working.

Well, strictly speaking mine works, but it isn't suitable with this new motor.

Gave it a run and after 30 seconds, the motor temp was at 40C, assumed this was about as hot as it was going to get, ran it again for 30 seconds or so, it had moved to 52C... Ran it for another minute straight and it had shot up to 83C!

I also noticed the ESC had got warmer than normal too and the LiPo was still warm (which was the main reason for the swap) so all in all, a bit of a fail.

I am going to have to consider what my next options are, but realistically, I don't want to end up with silly amounts invested and so far I'm up to about £230.

If anyone has any recommendations, I'm all ears.

Magnat007 likes this.
  8. OHO

OHO Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Here we go, another little boat installment from us, hope you enjoy! :)

lout likes this.
  9. OHO

OHO Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

First time trying out my DSLR at videoing, so you'll have to forgive the out of focus points and such, but wanted to upload it to see how it looked on YouTube.
    All handheld and not the best footage around but once I've messed with some settings it should come out a lot better.
    (the one at the start is his Proboat Shockwave)

lout and Magnat007 like this.
  10. Magnat007

Magnat007 Proud SCX10 Owner
    ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    That thing shoots a wicked rooster tail !

11. lout

lout Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    ^^^^ definitely what he said :)

12. OHO

OHO Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Hell yeah it does!
    I keep looking at buying one myself actually.

13. OHO

OHO Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

I've been struggling with my PC for a few months now, finally received my new one today, so I've done a small bit of editing to see how it handled it and thought I would upload it :)
    Ray didn't have the best of days here, first his large scale petrol boat wouldn't start, then he had some electrical problems, he forgot his brushless boat and his nitro kept cutting out, his adjustments to the prop pitch made it very very unstable to turn, resulting in a good dunking!

sweet rc likes this.