1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Outdrive Cup Lubrication

Discussion in 'Newbie Q & A' started by Jetz1138, Feb 7, 2017.

1. Jetz1138

Jetz1138 Active Member

Media:
    I broke my rear diff bevel gear on my XXL2e and the pin on one of outdrive cups. I was replacing and just curious if you grease or lube the inside of the cup. I thought not since it would attract dirt and probably just grind the crap out of it. I was thinking would a dry lube like a carbon dust work or just leave it????

2. BenFink

BenFink Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    I usually only use lube on Diffs and Bearings.

3. RustyWrench

RustyWrench ...I Always Edit...
    ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    You could use graphite powder, you can buy it or just scrape some off of a pencil. But it is not necessary, I leave mine dry unless I have been playing in water. Then I put a drop of WD 40 to dissipate the water, followed by 1 Drop of Oil after the WD fully evaporates to prevent rust and to give minor lubrication.

Dean

walter and Antho11 like this.
  4. Antho11

Antho11 Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    I usually leave them alone because some times the grease will attract tons of dirt which will just make a grinding paste.

RustyWrench likes this.
  5. Jetz1138

Jetz1138 Active Member

Media:
    Ahh. cool guys, this helps a lot. I think I'll leave them alone. I may try a little carbon, just because I have some in the shop.

6. 00whynot

00whynot Moderator
    Staff Member MODERATOR

Media:
    i spray mine with sillicone lube. never had an issue with dirt collecting in them. that being said i only do it if they are noisy or wet.

7. joss67uk

joss67uk Member

Ive been using Squirt Chain Lube on axle CVD's and driveshafts on my crawler , its a mountain bike wax based chain lube that dries to a kind of soft wax, its designed not to attract dust and dirt, its been doing a great job on my crawler.
    The XXL2e will be a little faster than my crawler lol but I dont think that would be a problem and only takes 1 drop per joint,let it sit for a couple of hours or so,I leave mine overnight and its good to go.