1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Phat axles? Anyone have them? Thoughts on them?

Discussion in 'Newbie Q & A' started by Scratch, Apr 11, 2016.

1. Scratch

Scratch Well-Known Member

So hello all, I'm new to this hobby and to the site as a member anyway.. and I've seen these axles from BOOM RACING, called PHAT AXLES.. They are a steel housing replacement for plastic ones and i was wondering if anyone could give me input on them and their opinions of them? I have googled them and youtubed them and have found a few things but thought id ask on here. I do trailing mostly and newbie crawling (if there is such a thing) .. My thought is that they will help get the weight low in the rig and metal would be stronger than plastic as i seem to break or strip plastic things rather easily even though i am careful with tightening screws.. Thanks, Scratch[​IMG]

2. Spence123

Spence123 Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    People seem to like them:
    steel axles are better than aluminium or plastic, aluminium axles are pricey and they crack
    people really seem to like them if you sift through the comments in the video posted above:)
    I mean real 4x4's have solid steel axle housings, like the currie axles or dana 60's. I haven't owned a set of these so I can't say for the quality, but they look like they are nicely made.
    Got 2 5 star ratings of Asiatees:https://www.asiatees.com/display?Ax...l&model=SCX10&id=116804&pid=1#customer-review
    But they may be cast so I am not sure about durability, I am hunting around for reviews and what not. I mean they sounds pretty good people seem to like them..

I may let the other pro members on this forum chime in on their thoughts about the axles, but in my opinion, plastic axles are ok, alloy is pricey and not too great, and I think they should make them steel like a real truck.

In my opinion, they seem to be making people happy with not too many problems, I'm sorry I couldn't give you experience with the axles since I don't own a set.

#2 Spence123, Apr 15, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2016
    Scratch likes this.
  3. Scratch

So it's my birthday today and I ordered a set of these for a present for myself.. Self centered, maybe a little but not to much.. Lol.. Ordered a set of metal lockouts for the rear as well as I already replaced my front C-hubs and knuckles when I broke them.. Can't wait to get them and try them out.

Midas likes this.
  4. DivineChaos

DivineChaos Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Let us know how good they are.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Scratch and K9654 like this.
  5. Scratch

I will for sure.. I'm a newbie to the world of Rc so I'm how good my opinion of them will be, but I'm looking forward to them arriving for sure.

RustyWrench, Midas and DivineChaos like this.
  6. DivineChaos

ELiTE MEMBER

So how are they?

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

7. 00whynot

00whynot Moderator
    Staff Member MODERATOR

Media:
    boom racing makes a great product. so i imagine these will be great. ive thought aout it myself. my plastic ones are so worn out the C hubs flop all over. lol

Scratch and DivineChaos like this.
  8. Scratch

Ok, so I recived them but for some reason RCSPARKS forum has been down for WEEKS.. today is the first time it has come back, so I have no idea what happen but it basicly didn't exist..the page couldn't even be found when googling it.. Anybody else have this issue? So on the phat axles.. I love them. Came in the packing just as showed, and weight .. Yeah they have that! I don't have a scale to weigh them but the box says they weigh 180g.. Install was simple, and fit was perfect. They are the same housing as plastic, but in metal. Fitting the lockouts on and the C-hubs were snug but that's due to the paint on the housings. Not a big deal, just needed a little more push. Lol. Regreased all my gears and bearings... And BOOM.. their in..* Bad pun, sorry had to. .. So now I've had them for almost 3 weeks now and I am very happy with them. They definitely make a noticeable difference and improvement in handling in my opinion. Side hilling on the rocks in the yard I do not tip and roll where I did before. The added weight helps the tires bite in more as well I believe. I had weighted my rims but then took out the weights so as to not have rolling mass, just the axle weight. As of this time there is no damage to report aside from scratches "which on my truck SCRATCH" fit in perfectly. So as for me, I would certainly recommend these if your considering them, they seem to be strong and stought and I'm a fan of metal over plastic. If you have questions I'll answer them if I can.

DivineChaos likes this.
  9. 00whynot

00whynot Moderator
    Staff Member MODERATOR

Media:
    I was having connection problems for a while. Just after the last forum update. It did not matter what pc or if I used my phone. I reset my router then everything was fine.

Good to hear you like the axels. :)

Scratch likes this.
  10. Scratch

Yeah, I tried phone, iPad, laptop, didn't matter what I was on or what Wi-Fi I was on.. Just wasn't there. But very happy it's back. I'll post a few pictures when I figure out how..

11. DivineChaos

ELiTE MEMBER

On the website you photo share. Not from facebook. You put the inmate url in place of the # [IMG)#(/IMG] and replace the )( with ][. And glad the axles are good. Now I'll pick up 2 sets when I can for my build.

sent from taptalk on an HTC using my fingers

12. Scratch

[​IMG]

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

13. Scratch

[​IMG]

14. Scratch

[​IMG]

No headlights in as I took a huge roll and had to rebuild them

#14 Scratch, May 26, 2016
    Last edited: May 26, 2016
  15. Scratch

[​IMG]

16. Scratch

Thanks for the how to lesson, I will try it out next time .. For now I said the heck with it and downloaded that tapatalk app. Tho don't know how to use that either... Lol, but at least I can post pictures

DivineChaos likes this.
  17. DivineChaos

ELiTE MEMBER

Hmm. That reminds me of Sid the sloth for some reason.

Scratch likes this.
  18. Scratch

Hahaha yeah, it does doesn't it.

19. ThatCraig

ThatCraig Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    I got it a phat axle up front an can't wait to get one for the rear. It's by far the first upgrade that I could tell a difference in handling. [​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Scratch likes this.
  20. DivineChaos

ELiTE MEMBER

And yep. Looks like a topical dodge. Scratched and beat up. Lol. Was the first thing I thought when I saw no headlights. Nice rig though.

ThatCraig and Scratch like this.