1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pinion not solidly located

Discussion in 'Newbie Q & A' started by soup, Feb 27, 2017.

1. soup

soup Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Was out running my Yeti XL today and it just sat there, figured out the pinion had come loose from the motor shaft.
    Now noticed (made up numbers) that the 4mm drive shafts could be swapped for 8 mm ones to add strength but what is the point if the pinion is held to the motor shaft with a friction fit using a grub screw?
    Does anyone have a pet way of securing the pinion to the motor shaft?

[​IMG]

2. Jakeface

Jakeface New Member

hey i noticed that there wer no replies to this and i hate it when ppl ignore me so i thought id add my 2 cents worth. traditionally pinions are held on to their shafts with one set/grub screw and in my experience it holds well enough as long as you add a little bit of threadlocker to the screw prior to installation but if you think you need extra strength then what i might suggest is that maybe you take a grinder or a file of sorts to the motor shaft to create a flat spot for the set/grub screw on the opposite side from the existing one then drill a hole in the same fashion on your pinion [granted the hole will need to be threaded] and add a second set/grub screw. all that being said in doing that you run the risk of weakening the motor shaft itself, jus sayin lol.

hope that helped!

3. Y2daT

Y2daT Over Powered RC
    ELiTE MEMBER

I simply make the grub screw very tight and done. no thread locker and no problems

scalemadness likes this.
  4. Jakeface

Jakeface New Member

Oh for sure! the thread lock is just a precaution. He seemed worried it would come apart.

Y2daT likes this.
  5. soup

soup Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Have since found out there IS a flat on the motor shaft, so I didn't need to fret at all.

The main point was, I was wondering why people would upgrade the transmission to handle twice the torque, or so, and still have the pinion be a friction fit on a round shaft.
    and finished off with what did others do to stop the round shaft issue .

I always try to put thread lock on the screw of a metal to metal joint to stop the screw from vibrating loose. It is not really there as a glue, although if you put too much on it can ooze everywhere and lock parts together causing no end of hassles when trying to seperate bits.

Y2daT likes this.
  6. soup

soup Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Thank you .
    Not getting replied to is not really an issue to me, I have learned from many forums that sometimes you don't get replies. No-one may know what you are talking about each person may assume others are going to reply or they may think " it's noit really my field' so they will wait on the others and sometimes on buzy forums the question can get buried if not answered right away.

Or the question may be, as in this case, fairly stupid (no stupid questions only stupid answers hence the fairly).
    I managed to write a whole post without realising it was complete and utter nonsense.

Y2daT likes this.
  7. Magnat007

Magnat007 Proud SCX10 Owner
    ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    Soup.... If you ever have an issue and you get no replies.. Send me a PM.. As you can understand there are so many sections I have to look after it is not uncommon for me to miss one or 10.

I mean sure.. Post up first.... then send me a message so I can check the thread out..
    Blue thread lock is the key for anything you dont want to come adrift.
    Red thread lock is for if you want to have a bad day trying to get something apart that needs to come apart.

scalemadness likes this.
  8. Y2daT

Y2daT Over Powered RC
    ELiTE MEMBER

good post Magnat007,Soup,and Jakeface
    and yes the blue locktite is a good idea and necessary on lots of metal upgrade parts where the screw is threaded into metal vs plastic .. with out it there the screw will come loose and fall out.

a steel pinion can handle lots of torque on the set screw where a alloy hop up part or rim cannot you will strip the threads ... on alloy parts you run the screw till it stops then give a gentle nudge beyond to make it snug ..also as mentioned when using thread lock a tiny drop is all you need .. a toothpick makes a nice applicator and it is good to know the screw threads and receiving threads are clean prior to thread locking . acetone is good for pre cleaning

soup, walter and scalemadness like this.