1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

pinion size question

Discussion in 'Bashing Chat' started by scotthawx732, Dec 29, 2016.

1. scotthawx732

scotthawx732 Member

hey guys,
    I recently purchased a new set of wheels and tires for my monster truck. they are considerably bigger...
    the old tires were 140mm diameter x 80mm width. the new tires are 160mm diameter by 105mm width. should i put a smaller pinion on there to avoid overheating the motor when accelerating these big new tires? bigger pinion? 2500kv brushless w 3s lipo btw. thanks!

2. Mogg2112

Mogg2112 Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    Good idea, I would definitely install a smaller pinion since you're putting on bigger tires. Drop down 2-3 teeth and do a test run and check your temps with an IR temp gauge. Always better to be safe than sorry when it comes to temps. Could be perfectly fine with the original pinion as well, just keep an eye on your temps.

3. 00whynot

00whynot Moderator
    Staff Member MODERATOR

Media:
    run it how it is for now. watch your temps. if you dont havr a problem you dont need to fix it.
    but you will want to go smaller pinion or larger spur. or both :)

4. scotthawx732

scotthawx732 Member

thanks. i installed a twin cooling fan and that seems to have helped cool things down. the summer months may change things tho...