1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Power draw problem Trailblazer-XT /Shredder-XT

Discussion in 'Electric' started by XLR8, Dec 29, 2012.

1. XLR8

XLR8 Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Just received my Trailblazer-XT /Shredder-XT for Christmas and it ran great for a couple of days, but recently it started doing something odd.

I have been running 2s 3300mah (45-90C discharge) lipos. I have six of them and balance charge them every time I charge.

Now I get about 5 minutes out of the truck and it powers down, when I check the batteries one of the two will have a cell that is well below the low voltage cut off point, while the other cell and both cells of the other battery are fine. The one that is discharged is also getting hot.

At first I thought it was a bad battery, but it's happening with all of them. I re-balance, and have tried every combination of the batteries, but each time one cell is drawing all the power.

IT would make more sense to me if one battery (both cells) were going dead, then I would assume the leads from the other battery were at fault, but to only kill one cell?

If anyone has ever run into this and you can share your insights it would be much appreciated. I'm baffled.

I hope I'm explaining this right.

It's only an ezrun-80 amp esc and 1500KV motor, so I'm not opposed to installing a better esc and motor, but I wouldn't know what to get.

2. Crankbait

Crankbait Think...
    ELiTE MEMBER

What brand are the batteries and charger.
    It sounds like a soldering problem internally in the batteries, but
    it could be a problem with the charger and not the batteries.
    I don't see how the truck could draw off of one cell and cause the problem.

3. RCSparks

RCSparks Administrator
    Staff Member ADMiNiSTRAToR SUPER MODERATOR

Media:
    Sounds like the ESC is causing a power outage.. but that speculating of course! Im not familiar with that model at all.. sorry bro!

4. XLR8

XLR8 Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

They are new Nano Tech Batteries, but like I said they charge and balance fine, and there are 6 of them so I doubt that all of them are faulty. I've got ten other 3 cells of the same brand for the planes that I've never had a problem with.

I'll start researching a new esc and motor. It's a the trailblazer is a rebranded redcat cheapo brand from hobby king.

Thanks for the replies.

Here's video/review of it...

[video=youtube;8d7pjVj0Cdk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8d7pjVj0Cdk[/video]

#4 XLR8, Dec 29, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2012
  5. drzoo2

drzoo2 Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    I don't see how it could be the ESC and/or motor doing this. To these parts the power delivery is transparent. If they are new batteries all bought the same time (a batch) they may very well have the same defect. I see this periodically in electrical parts. Does this happen with older batteries?

6. rcjoe

rcjoe Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

I had a similar problem with two lithium iron phosphate packs from maxamps once, when I would try to charge the batteries one cell would always be too low, then right before the charge was done it would spike way up above the other cells. I talked to the company about what I should do with the batteries, and they told me that the packs take a few runs to "break in" properly, eventually the problem did go away, I don't know if this is the same situation as yours, they aren't even the same batteries, but maybe talking to the company who makes those packs would help.

7. XLR8

XLR8 Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Thanks for all the input guys, it didn't make sense to me either that it would be the esc. It seems to be the factory installed Y connection coming off of the esc. Still not sure why this would cause it to pull from one cell, but when I switched the Y from one battery to the other the problem would switch to the other battery. I'll pull the Y off and start with all clean wires coming off the ESC and let you guys know how that works.

Yup, that was it, replaced the Y and it's all good now.

Beside in the brief periods that I could get it running I busted up the body, so now I'm shopping for a body that will fit a 10"x18" wheelbase.

Again thanks for the feedback, it's much appreciated. I'll continue to cycle the batteries to get them all balanced back out again.

#7 XLR8, Dec 29, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 1, 2013