1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Project: 78' Chevy K20 Long Bed

Discussion in 'Scale Build Projects' started by Rickleo, Mar 10, 2018.

1. Rickleo

Rickleo Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Hey tiny truck lovers.

After losing inspiration for my Bruticus build, my girlfriend suggested I put it aside for a while and start something else. I was surprised. This is the woman who told me I could start another project until I finish Bruticus. There was two stipulation. First since I had Blazer body parts left, it has to be a Chevy. Second the paint job had to be her favorite color. Blue. NO PROBLEM!!! What I've had in my mind to build was a Chevy anyway. Just a little more factory than Bruticus. A 78' Chevy K20 long bed.
    [​IMG]

2. Rickleo

ELiTE MEMBER

Got the rolling chassis together. Parts are:
    Boom Racing LWB Trial Finder 2 chassis
    Rc4wd Trail Finder 2 leaf springs
    Rear leaf spring shackle mount from Shapeways
    Rc4wd scale shocks 90mm front, 80mm rear
    Gmade u bolt kit
    Yota 2 axles
    Rc4wd 1.55 Stamped Steel Beadlocks with scale hardware
    SSD scale front and rear lock hubs
    Rc4wd 1.55 Rock Stompers[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

3. jokersinsanity

jokersinsanity Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    good job man very clean

4. Rickleo

ELiTE MEMBER

Thanks friend.

5. Rickleo

ELiTE MEMBER

Found a very useful YouTube video by Everyday RC on lengthening a TF2 chassis. His method worked out pretty good for me. I made the cut between the last two holes that are on top of the frame rail. Then attached the frame to the battery tray plate using the holes on either side of the cut. This lengthened the frame perfectly. I cut some pieces of brass I had laying around and used JB Weld to fill in the gap. Then I let it cure and sanded down the JB Weld. A little paint and you won't even know is there. Hopefully lol. The wheelbase is 13.59 inches. Close enough to the scaled down length of a 1:1 Chevy long bed. I'm happy with it.

Started the body. Cut it in half and added a section to the bed. Still need to be lengthened a little more but that's all for today. Mounted the body to the chassis to Chevy the ride height. Looks good to me. What do you think? [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

DodgeZippy, FordFan01 and Antho11 like this.
  6. Antho11

Antho11 Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    The body is looking great on that chassis and it's not even done yet, it has a great stance!

7. Rickleo

ELiTE MEMBER

Thanks. I decided to use the body mounts that came with the Blazer kit to see how it looked. I was surprised when it have me the ride height I was looking for.

8. ScaledIt

ScaledIt Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

looks pretty killer

9. Rickleo

ELiTE MEMBER

Thanks friend.

10. Rickleo

ELiTE MEMBER

Received some goodies from the mailman yesterday.

Rc4wd V8 and accessories.

Rc4wd R4 transmission

Rc4wd 35t crawler motor

Rc Channel aluminum heim joints

Rc Channel aluminum rod ends with rubber bushings

Yota 2 front axle. Needed a new one because the one I had was defective and didn't have the holes drilled all the way though to add a scale diff cover and hardware.

Put the motor and trans together and added the accessories. Added a little detail with a Sharpie pen and I put the Chevrolet emblems from the 2 kits I have on the valve covers. I'm liking it.

What you think?[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Lobe77, DaBurt420, DodgeZippy and 4 others like this.
  11. Rickleo

ELiTE MEMBER

Not a lot of time to work on my K20 lately. Made a little progress this morning. Installed the new front axle and steering components. I really like the heim joints from RcChannel.com. Hope they perform as good as they look.

Had to find a different mounting position for the servo because of the V8 motor and I want to install a scale radiator in the future. The stock steering rod was now too long, I thought I had another steering rod in my spare part but I couldn't find it. But I stumbled across a price of threaded rod that was actually the perfect length and thread count. Whew... Life saver lol.

It's a tight fit but the body just barely fits over the servo in its new position. The only problem now is the motor sits too far back with the pulleys installed on it. I think purchasing a low profile servo and using spacers between the servo and the servo mount to push it forward more will solve that problem.

Was messing around and put one of the rubber bushing rod ends on the shock. I liked how it looked so much I going to run them like that. I want to run dual shocks up front but I'm not going to pay the price they want for the tf2 dual shock hoops. I going to make my own.

Flex is not that great but that ok because this isn't going to be a extreme rock crawler anyway. Did find one issue. Even with the limited flex I still have fender to tire contact. To fix the problem I'm just going to round out the corner of the fenders to help clearance the tire. If you notice closely they had the same problem on the 1:1 K20 in my inspiration pic.

That's all I have time for right now. So watcha think?[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

12. Ntvper

Ntvper Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    Thought i saw this build somewhere else and asked why the shocks were upside down?

13. Rickleo

ELiTE MEMBER

You did. I show this build on multiple forums and Facebook.

Bluedually and Ntvper like this.
  14. Rickleo

ELiTE MEMBER

Made very small headway on the K20 today. Want to run dual 90mm shocks up front so that called for a little metal work. Fabbed up some dual shock hoops. They're ugly but functional lol. That's all for now on this slow build. Til next time. Thanks for looking.[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

DodgeZippy and Polaris425 like this.
  15. Ntvper

ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    Looking good.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

Rickleo likes this.
  16. Rickleo

ELiTE MEMBER

Thanks friend.

Ntvper likes this.
  17. Ntvper

ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    Gonna paint those shock mounts?

18. Rickleo

ELiTE MEMBER

Yeah after I finish all the fabrication work on the chassis. The engine and trans mount are out of stock and I don't know when they're gonna be in stock again. Figured I'm gonna have to make them.

19. Ntvper

ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    Another vendor maybe?

20. Rickleo

ELiTE MEMBER

Naw. I found only one vendor who CLAIMED to have them in stock. I ordered them and other stuff that equaled up to almost $200. They took my money but after 2 weeks of my order status saying "pending" I emailed the company to ask why my order hasn't been shipped yet. They sent one back saying that the mounts were out of stock and they'll send them and the rest of the order when the mounts become available. Another 2 weeks past. By now I had done some research on the company and found out they were shady. I ordered the other items that were still "pending" at that company from other companys and received them already. So I emailed them asking for a refund. I emailed twice with no response. A few days ago I sent them a very nasty email threatening legal action if they didn't refund my money because I didn't want the items and I didn't want to to business with there company. I guess that scared them because the next day my money was refunded back into my account.

All this could have been avoided if they had just been honest and said the mounts were out of stock. But do you know after all that if you go to there site the mounts still show in stock. smh. lol. Guess they're trying to get others like they tried to get me. To everyone who reads this please do your research before dealing with a company. I found out the hard way.

Ntvper likes this.