1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

TRUGGY Project Idea - Need help deciding!

Discussion in 'OFF Road Build Projects' started by WallacEngineering, Jan 26, 2018.

?

Which Project Should I Build?

1. Tekno E48T.3

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. XRay XT8E

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Losi 8ight-T E 3.0

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Axial Yeti XL

100.0%
  1. WallacEngineering

Media:
    So I have had a few projects on my mind, however at the moment I can only afford to do one, so let me know which project idea is your favorite!

- Definitely 1/8th scale
    - Cant decide between Truggy or Axial Yeti XL
    - If I do decide on Truggy, I cant decide on which one (I like Tekno, Xray, and Losi)
    - If Truggy, I want aluminum Diff cases, carriers, and knuckles
    - Axial Yeti XL would require many Hot Racing upgrades
    - Will be run on Tekin Gen 3 ESC with Tekin T8 Gen 2 Truggy motor
    - Will Run on 4S LiPo
    - Will use ProTek RC 170SBL Servo (450 oz-in @ 0.09 on just 6V!)
    - Will use SMC 4S 7400mAh/90C LiPo
    - Will use Spektrum DX5R TX and included RX

So the idea with a truggy would be to create a bullet-proof design that can take hard bashing and then with a quick swap of tires, pinion gear, and ride-height adjustment, I can head to the track.

The idea for the Yeti XL would be the world's ultimate 1/8 rock racer/crawler. But to be durable enough it would need the Aluminum Rear Axle, Shock Towers, Front Bulkhead, Carriers, Knuckles, Motor Mount, Motor Plate, Diff Cases, Shock Caps, and a few other odds and ends, so it will be quite expensive.

So what do you guys think, which sounds more fun?

2. ovrkll

ovrkll New Member

Buy an Arrma Nero Big Rock slap a Yeti Xl body on it and enjoy scale looking Rock Racer / Crawler that is actually reliable and performs well straight out of the box.
    Take it a step further with some crawler 4.0 tires and a 1/8 sensored motor & esc.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

3. WallacEngineering

Media:
    That is actually a very good idea, especially with the Aarma Diff Brain on board to lock the diffs for crawling. Surprised I hadn't thought of that sooner lol, thanks for the assist.

I have recreated the thread over at RCTech for more input. Users there have advised against the Yeti XL as well, saying it would cost upwards of $1500 to outfit one with enough aluminum upgrades to actually be durable.

I was drawn to the Yeti XL kit for the progressive spring rate and solid rear axle that makes it more of a scale crawler much like the smaller RR Bombers, SCX 10s, and in fact the standard Yeti. However, this kit just isn't looking like it will work out. Most people at RCTech have been recommending that I take a Tekno ET48.3 Truggy and convert it, then use X-Maxx 20 million weight center diff oil and 100,000 weight front and rear diff oil to stiffen up the drive and make it crawl like a champion.

From there the idea would be a Castle Mamba Monster X paired to a Tekin T8 4038 Truggy 1350 or 1550Kv motor, and run on 4S with the ProTek 170SBL servo.

It looks more and more like the Yeti XL is a lost cause. I cant believe that Axial, well known for some of the best kits on the planet, would make such a poorly engineered model with no aluminum chassis parts at all and the worst steering bellcrank system I have ever seen.

Unfortunately I think these forums are dead. I created a for sale thread and did not get a single offer on any part, and this thread has been up for weeks and just got its first reply. I am starting to think that maybe Medic stopping payments for the domain may actually be for the best after all. I mean I remade this thread as well as the for sale thread on RCTech and not only sold pretty much all of my items but also got a dozen replies on this topic in 2 days.

Dont get me wrong, RCSparks is awesome and Ive supported Medic for years but everytime I get online there is a maximum of 5 browsing users, no matter the time of day. Just seems like a waste of Medics time and money when we could all just be a part of RCTech and have Medic be like a high-level administrator or moderator or something.