1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Prophet's PIT FIEND MOA build

Discussion in 'Crawler Build Projects' started by prophet, Feb 25, 2015.

1. jaloos

jaloos Mod, Staff Member and Ghetto Fabricator

Media:
    Love it man. Gotta get out myself here at some point.

prophet likes this.
  2. prophet

prophet Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    Oh for sure! To take in the scenery and just admire the place for what it is i'm bound to be back there. :)

BigMike81 likes this.
  3. prophet

ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
  4. prophet

ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    Ok, everything has been working very well for this rig. The little fella's not so. His radio died, and one motor bit the dust. The replacement for that bit the dust. Long and the short of it, it needed a big overhaul. Mine's been lacking in one area, that being full proportional control. So without spending any more money other than to buy the little fella a new controller (futaba 4PLs) i made a basic smash (a little big and ugly looking but it works) and gave the electrics from this one to him.

[​IMG]

They are castle SV3's. Couldn't completely de-case them as the epoxy resin used to waterproof has sealed the bottom of the case on. Didn't want to apply to much pressure for fear of damage. First time i have tried to make one, and it turned out ok. Size is now the biggest issue here, as it only JUST fits in. The only other thing i can mention here is that the DX4R is a pain in the A$$ to program for these types of rigs. I got it in the end, but took nearly 4 hours to get right.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So while i overhaul the little fella's rig, he said to me that he didn't like the Mantis chassis (i think he means how it drives, as it is a little different) but he's always liked how it looked. But either way, going with a set up similar to mine seems a better option for the meantime. I have almost finished selling off everything RC we have except for the comp crawler gear. The money made is what i'm now using for upgrades ect for these. So have a few more little goodies on the way for his rig.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

lout, BigMike81 and jaloos like this.
  5. BigMike81

BigMike81 Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Looks nice and tidy if you ask me, I like the combo you chose as it should last a bit longer than the last, I hope. Looks like a runner though, I like it.:D

prophet likes this.
  6. jaloos

jaloos Mod, Staff Member and Ghetto Fabricator

Media:
    Nicely done man.

The stable is looking real good.

prophet likes this.
  7. prophet

ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    Thanks guys! I've forgotten to update this thread on the goings on for a while. hehehe been pretty flat out lately!

So i got the little fella's all finished. New controller and lightened the axles a bit. He's one very happy little camper!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Since then i have also made a battery mount to go on the front of the Bully 2.2's. Just to get that additional weight off the back. The whole rig now works a treat!

I'm now working on getting some lightweight wheels for both of us, and if i find any bargains here and there i'll probably snavel them up too!

As for mine, there does appear to be an issue with either the rear ESC or rear motor. The motor keeps stopping for no reason. If i put it in reverse it works and then will drive forward fine. But it then stops again randomly. It's a little hard to explain it but it is visible in this vid.

Around the 7:50 mark while i'm trying to get up that rock you can see the back lock up. That's not me using the DIG. It could be the motor, as it is an old one and has been re-built a few times. The brushes in it are new though. I'm thinking it might be something wrong with ESC. also quite old. I could be wrong but they are about the only two options that i can think of. So to rule out the motors i'll be swapping the front and rear to see if the front then starts doing it. If not then i'm up for a new smash for it. :/

Greenie, drzoo2 and BigMike81 like this.
  8. BigMike81

ELiTE MEMBER

Now thats what I call fun in the sun.:eyes on fire:

prophet likes this.
  9. prophet

ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    Well this week i've made two orders.

1: I ordered some more VP SLW hubs. Enough for 8 rims..........

2: I found a bargain and got me two complete sets of voodoo's, CI foams, and G10 3 piece beadlock crawler rims. Narrow and light. And some better options for the two current rigs, and another that i have planned out for soon........

In the mean time, it's been raining here heaps. So i got a little time to myself today and headed up the shed with an idea born of necessity. Or something like that. I'm just sick of not having anything to put my rig on to keep the tires off the ground. So when not it use it lives on it's roof. Thought i might fix that today.

[​IMG]

Using a couple of spare alum parts that i still had floating around. (absolutely no use for them) and some leftover carbon fibre scraps..... and bob's your uncle. Or Martha's your dad?!

[​IMG]

Gotta now make one for the little fella's rig. But the idea is now there. Just gotta refine it a bit.

BigMike81 likes this.
  10. BigMike81

ELiTE MEMBER

Is that so the tires don't get flat spots in them?

11. prophet

ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    Yup! That's the idea mate.

BigMike81 likes this.
  12. prophet

ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    So today i stripped out the front axle for a little bit of work/overhaul. I've placed an order for some new motors for this. So thought it'd be a good time to get some other little jobs done a well.

[​IMG]

hhhmmm something is missing there........

Ahhh that'd be it....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sits nice and flush there.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

BigMike81 likes this.
  13. prophet

ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    My Wheel arrived today!! Woot!!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

My first thoughts was: I like them!
    My Second thought was: I hate blue.
    My third thought was: I wonder what the weight comparison between these and the SLW's i'm using are?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

More on next post.

14. prophet

ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    Complete sets:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So there's a fair amount of difference. Now to go do something about that blue.........

BigMike81 and Dazed like this.
  15. prophet

ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    That's much better! Black is so much more my thing!

[​IMG]

lout, BigMike81 and Dazed like this.
  16. BigMike81

ELiTE MEMBER

Ya the black is definitely better.

prophet likes this.
  17. prophet

ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    THanks mate! The blue looks real nice on the little fella's rig, but sooooooooo not my colour! lol

18. prophet

ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    There be some big changes afoot.

New cans arrived during the week. Although a little slower than the rockstars that i was using, these should serve nice for now.

So got them soldered up, put some bling sheathing on the wires to keep it all nice and tidy. Still waiting on the Carbon fibre motor guards to arrive. Once here they will go in in place of the BWD delrin ones.

Rear axle:

[​IMG]

While working this axle over i started to do some stuff to the shocks. I was previously running full length gold springs on the big bores. I was getting a lot of rub on the springs from the tires. So using parts on hand i've dropped the spring size down and got a reasonable tension on there. Once she's up and running again time will tell if this is too hard or too soft, but i've got options here to play with.

[​IMG]

I replaced the bottom spring holder from the original one to one from a set of junfac piggy backs. They fit the bent rod end better as well as the spring fits nice on them as well. The top of the spring is held by the middle spring holder on a stock set of SCX shocks. Fits perfectly over the barrel. The spring itself is from an eagle racing drifter. Once i set the springs up on that i didn't have use for the 20 odd extra ones leftover. :roll:
    So to me at the moment they feel good in hand, time will tell if they work out well on the rig. But with heaps of different rate springs that will now drop in there easily i can tune this to my liking when she's ready to roll!

[​IMG]

Waiting on bullet connecters for the other end of the motor wires. Also will need the chassis (which should arrive this week) to get the right length of wire.

[​IMG]

lout likes this.
  19. prophet

ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    Also go the front axle looking a little better. Again new motor installed, wired up and (hopefully) looks neat! Have done the same to the front shocks as well.

Also have run the weights together on the lower mount point. Got some new hubs on the way so i can loose the wheel wideners. I've read somewhere on here that the VP hubs will work this way with just the smallest amount of filing to them. So will give that a go and see if i can't get it to co-operate. "thumbsup"

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Still working on the electronics tray for the front.

lout and Antho11 like this.
  20. prophet

ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    A couple more parts arrived today.
    Got some more SLW Screws for the hubs. Some 4mm male and fe-male bullet connecters to finnish up the wiring.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-b-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xtp1/t31.0-8/11059423_10206812845019290_6384629293198613351_o.jpg[/IMG[

Also some bigger hubs arrived as well. Vanquish SLW 0.725" (or 18.4mm).
    Now instead of running a small hub with the RC4WD mini wheel wideners i just need the hub. Also just eyeballing there isn't really much matirial at all that needs to come off the front hubs to make clearance of the wheel weight set up.

[IMG]https://fbcdn-sphotos-f-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xap1/t31.0-8/11155153_10206812845699307_9008361399979187262_o.jpg

[​IMG]

Considering that the hubs don't fully cover the hex in the first place (see pic of rear axle) it seems that there is going to only be very minimal filling of the hubs needed.

[​IMG]

Also digging through the parts drawers i found some alum flanged hex nuts. Slightly lighter than the steel and a bit more bling!

Rear axle:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

lout likes this.