1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Protecting your brushed motor from debris and grit.

Discussion in 'Scale Truck Chat' started by 00whynot, Nov 3, 2011.

1. 00whynot

00whynot Moderator
    Staff Member MODERATOR

Media:
    well after going threw my first set of brushes in no time on my tekin fxr 35t motor combo im looking into options to help my brushes last longer. First off i know dropping from my current 11.1v setup down to a 7.4 would make a difference. but i don't want to do that.

ive heard of people using mesh over thier motors but i hit alot of mud and cant see that helping once i pack it full. lol anyone on here ever try it?

been thinking maybe trying to build a floor pan or buying one then modding it to cover the motor as well but again im in the mud allot. id have to make it perfect.
    anyone have any better or easier ideas. id like to hear what others have done. i know 100% sealed is a bad idea and i don't mind water still getting in.

and on another note.
    anyone have a way to smooth out the comm without a lathe mine looks like a brush grinder.

2. TNCrawler

TNCrawler Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

I am just going to recommend one thing Pantyhose. cut off the foot and use a ziptie on the back. Worked for Medic LOL !!!!!!!

:hopemyfakesmilework

3. CrawlHog

CrawlHog Banned

on my scx10 ive made wheel wells and gaurds, i could play in the mud all day ( which i do ) and at most i get a drop or 2 on or near the motor.

4. 00whynot

00whynot Moderator
    Staff Member MODERATOR

Media:
    i actually got messin about with a 2litre bottle not long after posting this and made an under tray myself. the pantyhose are a good idea also. ill give that a try if my under tray don't work out.

5. 00whynot

00whynot Moderator
    Staff Member MODERATOR

Media:
    here are a couple pics of my home styled inner fender and mud guards. they worked out beautifully. no noticeable mud or debris anywhere near the motor.

[​IMG]

made from a single 2litre pop bottle.

[​IMG]

and a clear guard under the motor and over the drive shaft. worked out perfectly. :) ignore the dirt and whatnot. this was after the first test run.

[​IMG]

6. Greenie

Greenie VillAge iDioT
    ELiTE MEMBER

yeah nice!!!!!!
    simple and cheap!!!!
    and you also get a nice cold bevie!!!! LOL!!!

7. 00whynot

00whynot Moderator
    Staff Member MODERATOR

Media:
    its funny. i was just Google searching for more ways to protect your motor brushes and found my own thread. lol
    Gonna have to try that panyhoes trick. ive been thrue like 5 motors in my honcho because the comm gets chewed up.

8. SCX10BEAST

SCX10BEAST Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Pantyhose is what i use :)

9. basher4life

basher4life Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

uhg cant see pics

10. Magnat007

Magnat007 Proud SCX10 Owner
    ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    I just rebuild the motor.. a Green scouring pad cleans the comm and I just buy brushes in bulk lol..
    So far with the Integy motor I have not had to do squat.. If I play in the mud.. I just run it through a stream of water before bringing it home for servicing.

11. 00whynot

00whynot Moderator
    Staff Member MODERATOR

Media:
    ive actually been thrue 6 motors in my honcho. i think its because i run 3 cell lipo. the last one was a lepord hobby 35t. the comm on it became uneven. it was fine at low speed but at high speed the brushes lost contact.
    wish i could find a cheap motor lathe to true the com's. its just not realistic to spend $200 on a tool to fix a $27 motor.