1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Putting a Drill Motor on an RC: anybody ever heard of this?

Discussion in 'Rock Crawler Chat' started by ghawg, Mar 29, 2012.

1. ghawg

ghawg New Member

puttin a drill motor on a rc ??? right i know it sounds redneck but i gotta say i tried it and its pretty darn awsome!!!

#1 ghawg, Mar 29, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 4, 2012
    Richard G Johnson III likes this.
  2. sam91t

sam91t Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

I have heard of it. What's it like? What are the plus sides and what are the down falls? Let's us know sounds interesting

3. ghawg

ghawg New Member

well the motor come out of a 7.2 volt drill my papa got tired of charging it so after i fried my stock motor in the wraith i figured hey its worth a try... so take the wraith apart and see if the motor will fit the mount and gear worked perfect just had to grind a small flat on it for the set screw and put all together.. ok now i was rtr turn on the truck and take off and suprisingly it worked was quite a bit faster than the stock motor and wayyy more torqe so i start to crawl wiith it and it held up i mean i was dogin this thing to death (for testing purposes lol) and i tell you wat this thing is sweet i could not believe it. it truely amazed me by far i would recomend anyone to try this it worked perfect for me:D!!!!!!!

Richard G Johnson III likes this.
  4. badmonkey269

badmonkey269 Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

how hot does the esc get? thats what i like to know lol. you'd think it wouldn't take it.

5. ghawg

ghawg New Member

well i punish my wraith if you kno wat i mean and so far no problems i dont see why it would hurt it ..it come out of a 7.2 volt drill

6. scoobyblue

scoobyblue Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Ive herd of it an seen it. A few times. A 12v set up, and 2 different 14.4 v set ups, and all 3 workrd fine. Im gona try a 12v set up soon and I let u no how it goes. And the beauty is all I need is a esc that will ahndle more than 12v. Easy peasy, scored a 14.8v max esc and it handles a lipo. So to me and my vulcan logic a 11.1 lipo (3s) should serv a treat. And if it has to much speed, then ill jus drop the turn on the motor. U can rewind brushed motors. I was showen how by an old elecy. He is 77 and has rewound and reco me old motors for me. And ive yet to burn 1 out that he has done for me. Also this 12v set up I seen was running a dual motor esc on a 4s lipo with a ryobi 12v motor with both motor wire connected in parrellel.
    Esc kept cool via fan and he is now inventing a way to fit a rc boat prop to bak of motor to keep it cool as well.

And jus to mention it. Any battery place should be able to make u a 12v nimah no worries on the cheap.

U no wat im gona hook in and giv it a crak. Ill post ya in a few and see how it goes

rc is no hobby its a disease

7. Azrayel74

Azrayel74 Dr. Madness

Im running a dewalt 14.4 V drill motor in my SCX-10.. HUGE motor... have it matched up to a Traxxas Emaxx/Summit 2 speed transmission.. and currently im only running it off an AE-2 ESC with a 2S lipo and it still runs like a beast... not sure how its gonna run once i get an esc thatll handle 4S to that monster. As for how well they work.. for a crawler/trail truck.. i absolutely LOVE mine.. no heat issues that ive found so far. I ran a dual 700 HP motor system in my Emaxx and that one got the batteries pretty warm.. but thats running at 35-40MPH all the time too.. Personally.. im a fan of the drill motor conversions.

8. scoobyblue

ELiTE MEMBER

Awesome bud. A 14.4 u say. Man thats some torq isnt it. Almost pull stumps with that. How the cog on it. Or does the extra weight keep it down for ya. And. Azrayel bud. I sent u a pm as well on ya build on monster wraith. It has a link to see wat I ment on the kyosho axles and supershafty.

And the axial esc u use for ya drill motor, u say it dont get hot. Thats strange, as me volcan logic tells me that the motor is running half power so esc should get warm. But man if it works it works. Hows the motor wen she gets wet, ant touble ???

9. Azrayel74

Azrayel74 Dr. Madness

I had it out roughing in the snow a month or so ago.. posted up a video of it.. torque on it was twisting the frame almost sideways so theres MASSIVE amounts of body rub in the video... was the first time out with the build. had to tweak the shocks and i actually have stiffer springs on the left side than the right to help compensate for the torque twist. 2nd time out i didnt get into water much.. when i did.. sadly i had a failure in the waterproofing in my receiver box... but ive run these drill motors in water before without problems. Key factor is running in relatively CLEAN water.. or havin a filter system to keep mud and dirt out of the motor windings as that can hang it up. Havent had a problem with ESC over heating yet... but i dont really drive it fast.. built the F650 as a trail rig/crawler so rarely get it much past half throttle when im tooling along. Eventually gonna upgrade this to a bigger esc so i can run a dual battery.

10. ghawg

ghawg New Member

well the 7.2 finally died... well atleast the bearin wear the wires go in went out prob fix it if not throwin another one in my papa give me a couple of spare drills lol cheaper than new ones il let yall know how it goes:)

11. rcjoe

rcjoe Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

the traxxas summit comes with a dewalt 18 volt drill motor, so yes, drill motor + RC = fun!
    :haveaniceday:

12. scoobyblue

ELiTE MEMBER

Mr rcjoe, can I ask how you found out bout the summit motor an that its based on a drill motor. Ive herd to many times the traxxas motors are easy to burn up when crawling. And I may be wrong but isnt the summit a 12t motor . Like a 770 or somethn like that??? But if im wrong ill go get 1 and conveert me wraith to a 2spd summit gearbox and a summit cradle a hd micro servo to shift it. Cos I like the idea of 2spd and some frikn awesome hp in it.

13. traxxasking

traxxasking New Member

yep

i have not tryed it butt sounds cool on y tube

14. scoobyblue

ELiTE MEMBER

Hey bud can u send me a link on the youtube please. Ive looked but com up with nuthn bud????

15. Nicodemous

Nicodemous Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

I believe the summits motor is a 775 and is a 10 turn...(i think)
    Im still running my stock motor, and I mostly crawl with it, its over a year old. Ill have to try a drill motor...

:)

Happy Rc'ing

16. Azrayel74

Azrayel74 Dr. Madness

The Traxxas Summit has a 16.8V 775 Sized motor made specifically for RC's. The Drill motors some people use are upgrages. The DeWalt 14.4 is the most common upgrade of this type.. and is considered and 820 sized motor for rc specifications. It takes some modification of the 775 mount plate to allow the use of this motor on a traxxas emaxx/summit transmission. I did all of this myself with my old emaxx trans recently. As for the Cradle... the only one im aware of is designed for the SCX_10 as it is sized to fit between the frame rails and mounts to them. I havent seen a cradle yet for a Wraith as the motor mounting is far different. Im sure it could still be done but i can see some pretty involved custom fabrication. As for the drill motor itself... i have loved mine... its well maintained as well.. cleaned and reoiled everytime i take it out and get it wet, dirty muddy etc so that it will last for me. Gearing also makes a significant difference.. the summit from what ive seen crawls pretty well when using low gear... and has good speed in high. Hope this helps clear up some of the details.

17. scoobyblue

ELiTE MEMBER

Well I thought the summit and the erevo had a 16v system in it. I thought of the summit box and craddle because of a build I read of in crawlpit. But it wasnt a wraith tho. It a supershafty kit. If I made a custom plate for the cradle to fit. Do u think it may work? I mean ive seen a summit box in a wraith, but it was not on a cradle. Either way id try a summit 775 first off in the wraith. I jus want the wriath to crawl mostly. But I do want to do a build tho. And the idea of a drill notor on a summit box with supershafty diffs and shafts. And. The idea for that is a 1/8 gmade stealth body.

Idea is this. Long wide and low. 2spd and a ton of hp n torq. A real stump puller. Lo or a rock pusher lol. And sometn that I can jus shift a gear and it hauls ars. To giv u more of an idea. I gots me some rc4wd 40s mudslingers on some 40s weldracing wheels and there 23mm hexdrive. I just wana be different is all. I jus think the wraith isnt big enuf to do that to is all. And if I gota custom make stuff id rather do it in size strength an style lol

18. Azrayel74

Azrayel74 Dr. Madness

I think with some creative fabrication skills.. you could mod the plastic motor mount tray for the wraith to accomdate the Summit transmission... key point here... the outputs for the Summit transmission will hang below your mounting plate... and invite potential to get hung up on rocks and such.. but it does help lessen the driveshaft angles. Also the summit trans uses 6MM outputs vs axials 5MM so you either need 6MM driveshafts, or adapters from somewhere like RC4WD.

Now as far as the specifics on the motors. The Brushed Emaxx, E-revo both use dual motors.. usually 21T. The EVX-2 ESC which is the standard ESC in the E-revo, Summit and Brushed Emaxx is a dual battery.. dual motor waterproof configuration. The Traxxas Summit motor is a 775 sized motor and it actually has 2 pairs of motor wire feeds. All 3 vehicles have a max voltage of 16.8V or dual 7-Cell 8.4V NIMH batteries. The all use the same transmission setup... but the emaxx and e-revo dont come with the 2 speed installed standard but it is an upgrade option. As a note the Kershaw drill motor only has one set of motor wire leads too... so im not sure how you would use an EVX-2 to power that motor. Maybe Summitut can help as i believe hes done this modification to his summit.

I like the idea and direction your thinking.. sounds like a wicked project and im interested to see what you can make work

19. scoobyblue

ELiTE MEMBER

Cheers man lmao im interested in what I com up with too:rolleyes:

20. rcjoe

rcjoe Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

yes, that's what I thought as well until last week when I was taking apart some old broken 18 volt dewalt drills, I needed the transmissions from the drills for a robot I'm building (school project), and I was very surprised when I saw the titan 775 in 2 out of 4 drills I took apart, the other drills used that familiar dewalt style motor, it worked out perfectly for me as I was able to use 2 new titan 775's in these transmissions without any modification's
    :)