1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Putting a Drill Motor on an RC: anybody ever heard of this?

Discussion in 'Rock Crawler Chat' started by ghawg, Mar 29, 2012.

1. Azrayel74

Azrayel74 Dr. Madness

Ahh well.. see we all learn something new everyday... Good to know i suppose...

2. scoobyblue

scoobyblue Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Hey bud, where in the hell lol did u manage to find busted drills from. If u got a few old ones or used ones howd ya get em man. Ive been all ova ebay and nuthn at all exept new stuff.

rc is no hobby its a disease

3. summitnut

summitnut Super Moderator
    SUPER MODERATOR

Media:
    I paid 30 bucks for my dewalt on eBay ..... The mending shed....also a site called robot marketplace.com
    The dewalt I have,14.4v the brushes can be removed and replaced it has bearings at either end not bushings
    The Titan 775 is the same motor as the kershaw 700 ho,except the 700ho
    Has a few more windings and a few degrees of timing added for more rpm
    Neither of them have replaceable brushes or bearings.
    Kershaw is now selling the dewalt series 12v 14.4v 18v.
    If you have seen any of my videos
    My truck works hard I am pretty sure it's bombproof. For the single motor on the evx2 you can just use two of the wires as the summit does stock
    Or solder the two + into a good bullet connecter and the two - as well.could also solder two wires to each brush tab.

Sent from my iPhone using My fingers

4. rcjoe

rcjoe Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

hey ScoobyBlue, I tried searching ebay for a long time too... but then I remembered... my dad owns a construction company, so I just asked him if he had any drills he would like to donate to the robot cause, 30 minutes later he dumped four broken drills on my table!... construction people go through a lot of cordless drills! lol

5. scoobyblue

ELiTE MEMBER

Thanks mr rcjoe, ill go n hit a few up. Found a hitachi replacement motor, but to big, and a after market ryobi and its new, but the seller wont tell me wat aftermarket brand it is, so im not trustn him lol. Im suprised u got bak to me so qwik, its still day time in aus lol, thought all me canadian freinds would all be fast asleep by now lol

rc is no hobby its a disease

6. DDeKam

DDeKam New Member

Can you tell me how to specify what turn a motor is by its windings?

#26 DDeKam, May 13, 2012
    Last edited: May 13, 2012
  7. scoobyblue

ELiTE MEMBER

Im not sure friend but ill see my old friend this arv an ask him for ya. He used to make motors.

sent via crappa talk 2 from my gmade r1

8. DDeKam

DDeKam New Member

Thx big help ive got an axial scx10 and a dewalt 18 volt drill motor from a friend whos dad owns a construction business and he works there in the summer, some idiot threw it from a roof and it landed on the cement and split. Supposedly the more turns a motor has the more torque it has. I want to put it up to 38 turn but dont know how to tell how much wire it takes for one turn.

9. summitnut

SUPER MODERATOR

Media:
    The 18v dewalt has a ton of torque but needs voltage to produce it. I run a 14.4v dewalt in my 1/10 summit on 4s
    It has enough torque to change the earths rotation...lol but it's getting 16.8v
    2x 2s lipo in series.the 18v needs more voltage as even 3s is way under powering it.the dewalts seem to like being over volted.

10. scoobyblue

ELiTE MEMBER

Agreed my friend.

sent via crappa talk 2 from my gmade r1

11. AJrc123

AJrc123 Honorary Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

it is sweet, for a rock crawler. Super high torque and decent speed

12. monkeyracing

monkeyracing New Member

You can get 35mm diameter motors (540, 550, etc) out of evrything from drills, to cheap blenders, to blow dryers. If you want some speed (but maybe lacking torque) Dustbusters and Swiffer Sweep n' Vacs use really zippy Johnson/Mabuchi motors. Also, there's a really cheap 12v "shop vac" sold at Walmart with a 540 can in it.

13. SKOTTIE13A5T

SKOTTIE13A5T New Member

So I can just stick a 12v dewalt into my AX10 and she will be good? What did you guys do about the gear (pinion on the motor) that refuses to be removed? Just use it?
    Ok, HERE'S A QUESTION, what can I do to limit a 12v battery to only give out 7.2v? Is there a resister or something? Which size? I want to be able to run the dewalt battery as is, I still have other tools I need to run.
    I've disassembled two before and made three packs from em but i need to keep these ones as is

#33 SKOTTIE13A5T, Jun 5, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2012
  14. LetsGoMuddin

LetsGoMuddin Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

after looking at Azrayel74's video i was blown away!! after working at my dads shop i brought home some old Hitachi 9.6v drills to try the motors in my truck!

15. summitnut

SUPER MODERATOR

Media:
    What did you guys do about the gear (pinion on the motor) that refuses to be removed?

Tape the openings on the motor...
    Dremel a groove in between the teeth 180 degrees apart. Then a screwdriver or chisel and twist or LIGHT tap off it comes. Make a flat spot on the shaft for the pinion grub screw to bite.

16. Azrayel74

Azrayel74 Dr. Madness

I cheated and bought my 14.4 DeWalt from kershaws with the pinion removed, and the output shaft already flattened on one side and motor wires soldered on ready to go into an RC...

17. LetsGoMuddin

ELiTE MEMBER

thats my problem right now!! i cant get the stinking thing to come offf!!!:pissedoff:

18. summitnut

SUPER MODERATOR

Media:
    Cut the grooves as deep as you can
    I gave a light tap with a chisel split in half and fell off

19. LetsGoMuddin

ELiTE MEMBER

thanks but i just used a flat head screwdriver and pried it off! i got my dremel out and put a flat spot on one end of the motor and conected it to my truck! it works like the stock axial 20t tho, i thought it would be faster! Azrayel74, how much bigger is your DeWalt 14.4v motor compared to an Axial 20t?

20. memphis2857

memphis2857 Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

OK so everyone keeps talking about motor voltage. The motor to an extent + or - 4 or 5 volts doesn't care about voltage. Think about it when you are running your RC at 1/4 throttle the motor may only be getting 5 volts. You just wouldnt want to take a little 550/7.2v motor and run it on 4s. I ran the Dewalt 14.4 motor in my summit and it would pull a house down not to mention twist center drive shafts in half. It is really easy to mount you just have to bore out one of the screw holes in the motor mount. The great thing is these drill motors are super heavy duty and you can buy brushes for them at Sears! I have actually been trying to find out what size drill would use a 540/550 size motor so I can get them for my axial trucks.

Sent from my DROID RAZR