1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rat Rod Build - Real steel, real rust and a really good cause. (Charity build)

Discussion in 'ON Road Build Projects' started by cyanide, Jan 29, 2016.

Tags:
  1. cyanide

cyanide Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    Hey guys, this is the introduction of my first build for 2016. A custom made RC Rat Rod made from steel and aluminum.

- Rust Never Sleeps -

This bad boy will be about 1/9th scale and mostly consist of RC4WD parts for running gear and self built steel chassis and body the same as FATBETTY and WolfSpider (which will be finished, I am just taking a break from that build). Scale is approximated by the use of a 8 inch figure as the driver.

The original concept was to make a '32 Roadster type style, but I am not sure if there will be enough room for all the electronics, so it may be a old style pick up, we'll see as the build progressses.

The twist with this build is that it is a charity build. It will be auctioned off when finished and the proceeds will go to the Cancer Society NZ. I was diagnosed with Cancer and went through a rough time with treatment and I want to give back in some small way.

@RCSparks and other admins: I am not sure if this topic will breach forum rules due to it being a charity build and that I have the option of people to donate to the charity. Please remove this thread and let me know if this is the case.
    I have purposely not added the link to the fundraiser page here for this reason and I will not add the link to the charity auction as it will most likey be on ebay and I know that is prohibited on these forums.

K9654, Greenie, Monkeypiarat and 2 others like this.
  2. lout

lout Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    Nice one dude. Look forward to seeing this progress. Saw the video last night and this is a cool idea.

I would personally stick with the roadster idea than the flatbed. You should have enough room in the boot/rumble seat area for the electronics.

cyanide likes this.
  3. Magnat007

Magnat007 Proud SCX10 Owner
    ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    If I wasn't totally flat Broke... I would so Donate !

cyanide and lout like this.
  4. cyanide

ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    yeah I prefer the roaster look, but it will be slammed with a Z chassis so the chassis rails and axle will be right up in there. I am thinking I might mount the electrics under the chassis, its s low rider so don't need a lot of clearance so it might work.

5. cyanide

ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    Thanks man, donation is totally optional, the last thing I wanted to do was make people feel like the had to donate. I do ask that you enjoy following the build though :)

6. lout

lout Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    I get what you mean now. Are you going to channel this or just do the z chassis? If you don't channel it the battery will fit under the front seat :)

7. cyanide

ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    Probably channel it. I got a RC4WD V8 and the single speed tranny that bolts on with the bell housing so I am guessing the drive shaft will run right up the guts of the interior. It should look trick, but it is a head scratcher figuring out eletronics placement. I really want to put in a sound unit/speaker too, so yeah, she be tight.
    I may have to use some 'artistic license' with the body dimensions, but since it is a Rat, we can call it part of the customisation :)

lout likes this.
  8. cyanide

ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    Part 2 of the build series is now on YouTube.
    Just going over some of the parts I have got in so far.

Monkeypiarat and lout like this.
  9. cyanide

ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    If you watched the first video you will know I mentioned a second rat rod build I am doing at the same time as the charity build.
    The second one I am not doing a video build series on YouTube (sometimes I just like to go to the shed and tinker without the video camera). I called it 'The Sister' thinking it will probably be like the ugly step sister of the charity build that will get the best parts and more time put into it.

This one is a little tanker type rat rod. I used an old empty gas mask canister as the tank. The leaf springs and shocks are mounted directly to the tank. The tank will house all the electrics so the cab and engine bay can be all scale details if need be. Only the back half is done, it has no chassis yet.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Please Note: These old gas canister can contain Asbestos! Do NOT empty them yourself, get a professional to do it.

Monkeypiarat, lout and Antho11 like this.
  10. cyanide

ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    Part 3 of the build series is up. More parts! When I think I am done with the parts there is more. I think I am pretty squared away with parts now though.

Last thing I have got is an alloy NOS tank keyring that I think might be a good size. Got it from aliexpress.com for about $3.80 US inc shipping. Bit cheaper than getting a RC NOS tank. Got a Turbo keyring too, might look good on the RC4WD V8 if it is about the right size.

[​IMG]

Monkeypiarat and lout like this.
  11. lout

lout Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    With your issue with the RC4WD truck tires when you offered them up the stamped rims I'm assuming that the internal beadlock ring was left out as it was too wide. Would turning down the locking ring help as this would then provide a clamping force to the bead ?

Love the idea for the airhorns tho :D :thumbsup:

cyanide likes this.
  12. cyanide

ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    The internal bead ring was too small a diameter and a little wide. I ended up finding a bit of plastic tube in the shed with a larger ID to match the semi truck tire beads better, cut 18mm wide parts from the tube with my friends lathe and they seem to fit together OK now. I'll probably stick with the Kyosho Goodyear wheels for this build though.

lout likes this.
  13. cyanide

ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    Part 4 of the build series. Getting into the good stuff now. Setting up the chassis and the rear end.

Monkeypiarat likes this.
  14. cyanide

ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    Part 5, the chassis continues. Taking my time with this part of the build, I want to make sure I get the foundation right before building up.

Monkeypiarat likes this.
  15. Monkeypiarat

Monkeypiarat Worlds formost authority on my own opinion
    ELiTE MEMBER

WOW ,,,Great build ,,,, looks like I be dreaming of building this one tonight..
    Kind of like my ex girlfriend ,,,I wont get much sleep,,
    but come sun up I will have a big smile on my face...
    nice shop by the way ...my shop consists of...
    a drill , a dremel , a soldering iron , and a hot air popcorn popper for a heat gun ..,
    then just enough hand tools to get by and my bench is my coffee table.

DivineChaos, cyanide and lout like this.
  16. cyanide

ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    Thanks mate! Yeah man, do a build of one too! Custom builds is where it is at I reckon.

Monkeypiarat likes this.
  17. cyanide

ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    I did a little bit on the other rat rod build today as well, have not put much time into this one. I kind of lost interest in it, but I did a quick mock up today so I could get measurements for the chassis and I have got the vision back for this one too. ;o)

[​IMG]

I may switch out the slicks on this one, I got some 2.2's that might suit the utilitarian look better. I have some swanky alloy 2.2 rims on the way, so this may get them instead.

Greenie and lout like this.
  18. Monkeypiarat

Monkeypiarat Worlds formost authority on my own opinion
    ELiTE MEMBER

you got that right .....I like to think that mine are custom builds ... but truth be told ,,,
    they are custom mods ... I love what I have ..
    but watching the masters at work is what inspires me ..
    the best part is all my favorite masters are here in this forum ...
    it like a RC party everyday around here and all I have to do is log on...
    when I see a build and I am inspired I know that I am all the way live..

lout likes this.
  19. cyanide

ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    Next video in the Rust Never Sleeps build series.

I have also had some time to work on The Sister since I last posted. Progress is going well on that one too, not videoing that build speeds things up, here's some piccies though, it has a different style of chassis, just trying out different ways of doing things.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

lout and Greenie like this.
  20. cyanide

ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    Part 7 & Part 8 is on YouTube.

The chassis continues... and some more parts arrive in the mail.

drzoo2, lout and DivineChaos like this.