1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

RC Tower Crane

Discussion in 'Cranes & Lifters' started by Juddp, Feb 12, 2014.

1. Juddp

Juddp Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    Well im at it again......... and lets see if I can remember to keep this thread up to date (im really bad about not updating them :( )

This time im going to make a rc tower crane like the ones used to build skyscrapers!! I will try to get as many pictures as I can during the build!
    I have already started this project, the tower will be 11 feet tall and have a 5 or 6 foot main boom with a 2-3 foot counterweight boom. the main tower is built from 3 inch square steel tube that is 3/16" thick :) I may just do build videos and post them here. im not the greatest typer :) so that would be better for me. Stay tuned for more!!!

2. Bubba J

Bubba J Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Oh boy this is going to be a good one to follow...........................:bouaaaaah:

3. Juddp

ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    Oh yeah!!

:) tomorrow im going to order the bearings for the pivot at the top, they happen to fit in a pice of tube I have and only cost $14 :) for the main boom and rear boom I am going to use the metal track used for sliding barn doors, that way I only have to make 2 carrages for the lifting cable and counter weight, and the pivot. so this should be fairly easy to build it and make it look similar to the real thing. im going to use a high power gear motor for the lifting cable and 3 servos. one for each carrage and one big one to turn it. im trying to keep this as simple as possible :)

4. Magnat007

Magnat007 Proud SCX10 Owner
    ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    Keep me informed of this one !

5. Juddp

ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    This project is on hold due to my hours changing at work but as soon as I get back to normal it's game on :)

6. Butcher

Butcher Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

I was watching a crane get taken down at work the other day and decided I wanna try and build one. I'm definitely going to keep track of your work.

7. Jabbo

Jabbo Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

just a bit more time to let the gears turn.....what a great idea...

8. hilljack

hilljack New Member

im curious on how that would work, and how much they could lift...

9. MonsterMark

MonsterMark Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Wow!! Another hilljack! I though my bro was the only one

10. mlang1321

mlang1321 RIP Dad I'll always love you.
    ELiTE MEMBER

I think those cranes are amazing how they are assembled and disassembled. I look forward to you getting back at this one once your hours and time permits it. What's going to be the total height you have planned on reaching.