1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

RC4WD Blazer = Dually= BRUTICUS

Discussion in 'Scale Build Projects' started by Rickleo, Jan 22, 2018.

1. Rickleo

Rickleo Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Update:

Every big beastly rig needs a big beastly bumper.....

And this is going to be bumper overkill.

I'll just let the pictures tell the story......

Oh....and it still not finish.

Enjoy.[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

K9654, walter, Antho11 and 1 other person like this.
  2. Rickleo

ELiTE MEMBER

Update:

Work continued on this massive bumper.

Added some scrap metal plates on the bottom corners and metal round stock to make the lower portion of the bumper.

That is all.[​IMG][​IMG]

FordFan01 and DodgeZippy like this.
  3. Rickleo

ELiTE MEMBER

Update:

After looking at the massive front boomer for a while it wasn't in line with the theme I wanted for Bruticus. The bumper looked more apocalypse than military lol. So I built a new one and kept it simple.

Like the old military boomers it's just one piece of steel bent slightly on each end. I used round bar stock to make the grill guard then welded it to the bumper. I like the look better than the old bumper. It looks like a bumper someone threw together on Friday so they could hit the trails on Saturday. Simply yet effective.

Still had a problem with the tire slightly rubbing the servo arm under suspension compression, had to come up with a solution.

Purchased some Hot Racing 15mm wheel hub extensions. After having to file down the extensions to get the pin screw to fit and boring out the hole in the wheel 1mm or so to get the thread sleeve in the new wheel nut to pass though, everything came together nicely. Like the wider stance of the front. Looks more aggressive.

So watcha think? That's all for now. Til next time.[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

FordFan01 and Antho11 like this.
  4. Polaris425

Polaris425 Moderator
    MODERATOR ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    very cool bumper

5. drzoo2

drzoo2 Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    [​IMG]

I need to pay more attention because I missed this. Fantastic. Would love to have seen a Dmax but hey, simplicity is what makes the Cummins so popular..... Right?

What are you using for a transmission? I may have missed it....

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

6. Rickleo

ELiTE MEMBER

Thanks friend.

7. Rickleo

ELiTE MEMBER

You're absolutely right. Simplicity. All mechanical. No computers. It's my favorite engine.

The actually transmission is a planetary gearbox at the end of a 27t axial motor. But I made a replica of an actual transmission to put behind the Cummins using a shortened driveshaft and a carrier bearing. The transmission bellhousing and gear housing are actually a baby bottle top And a USB charging plug case.
    Still need to finish detail with on the engines and trans.
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

FordFan01 and drzoo2 like this.
  8. walter

walter Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

looking better all the time

9. Rickleo

ELiTE MEMBER

Thanks friend. Keep watching. Hopefully it'll get even better.

10. RcDogg43

RcDogg43 Member

Wow! You surely know how to work with styrene! Unlike me.

11. Rickleo

ELiTE MEMBER

A lot of people tell me that not realizing that this is the first time I've scratch built anything out of styrene. I didn't know I could do this until I did it. I knew I wanted a Cummins engine and a scale transmission in my rig so I looked at 3d printed engines and scale transmissions and they were TOO expensive. So to get what I wanted there was only one solution. Build it myself! All you need it a lot of good reference pics, assortment of styrene, good tools, and a great imagination. Oh and LOADS of patience. You are cutting yourself short. You could be a great styrene build master and don't know it. All you have to do is start with something simple. Perfect it and work your way up from there. Before you know it you'll be making parts you always wanted with your own two hands. Give it a try. And don't get discouraged about failed attempts. Be persistent. In the long run you won't be disappointed.

Thanks for the compliment friend.

12. Rickleo

ELiTE MEMBER

Update:

With all the air being rammed into the Cummins engine I needed a way to cool it. An intercooler. But I wasn't sure I had the space for one. Searching Google for ideas I came across the perfect intercooler on a Cummins diesel that was transplanted into a Suburban. It was exactly what I was looking for. So styrene cutting began.

The end results was a nice engine to mounted intercooler. Now the diesel can get the cold dense air it need to create all the power I'm going to put to it.

That's all for now. Til next time. Thanks for looking.[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

DodgeZippy, Antho11 and walter like this.
  13. Rickleo

ELiTE MEMBER

Update:

Finally got the drivetrain in installed. The transfer case is now connected to the transmission like on most 1:1s. Also figured out how to make a crossmember to support it. That created another problem. The distance from the transfer case to the rear end was almost 260mm! Way to long for the driveshaft I had purchased. Lucky I had some shafts laying around from another project that never got off the ground. So I decided to add another crossmember that will hold a carrier bearing. I cut the extra driveshaft down to connect the t case to the carrier bearing. Hope all these shafts hold up under the stress of pulling this heavy behemoth around. Only time will tell.

Bruticus is coming along slowly but surely. And I most say my boy is looking mean! I'd like to thank everyone for following, commenting, complimenting, and giving advice. Very much appreciated.

But...the journey is far from over. Still got a helluva lot more to do.

So thanks for looking. Til next time.[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

FordFan01 likes this.
  14. Rickleo

ELiTE MEMBER

Got the electronics of Bruticus finally half way working. (Not too good at wiring but I'll figure it out). But I did get it moving under it in power. Did a little test drive and light pull. I hooked it up to my son's wooden toddler chair. I know that's not much weight but I was only pulling with front wheel drive. The rear drive shaft pin screws kept loosening and the shaft flying off because I haven't put thread locker on them yet because I still have to disassemble. Made a little video of it and the noise you hear at the end is Bruticus having his first wreck. I accidentally drive it straight into a metal box fan I had on the floor. Hopefully this is not a prelude of things to come.

Think I'm going to purchase a new transmitter and receiver. The one I have is meant for rc airplanes and helicopters. Can't get it to function right. Only goes in reverse 50% of the time. Goes forward fine cause planes don't have reserve lol.

15. DodgeZippy

DodgeZippy Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    Lookin great

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

16. Rickleo

ELiTE MEMBER

Thanks friend.

DodgeZippy likes this.
  17. RcDogg43

RcDogg43 Member

Looks good! Looked like the resin bended at the end.

DodgeZippy likes this.
  18. Rickleo

ELiTE MEMBER

Thanks RcDogg43.

If you're talking about the end of the video, nothing was damaged. The body wasn't mounted to the frame. I put temporary leveling tabs on the front of the body to get the proper body height to make mounts. They were just tacked on with a spot of glue. So what you are seeing is the body falling because the tabs broke off from the impact. No big deal.

DodgeZippy and walter like this.
  19. RcDogg43

RcDogg43 Member

Good! You put a lot of work into it! :)

20. Justin McDaniel

Hey if you start another build like this one you should use the first bumper for it