1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

rcjoe's land rover d-90 build "camo landy"

Discussion in 'Scale Build Projects' started by rcjoe, Mar 18, 2012.

1. rcjoe

rcjoe Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

hello everyone! this build started back in December when I bought a few goodies from rc4wd, I decided to turn my old scx-10 honcho kit, which looked like this

[​IMG]

...into a land rover, so I searched on Google images many times to try and find a nice land rover to base my build on... and, well I couldn't find any, lol so I took all the things I liked about each one I saw on the internet and started making my own, I decided the truck had to have a camouflage paint scheme, a big home made snorkel, lot's of lights, a winch, mud flaps, blackened rims, and one of those springy antenna things? lol CB radio! so this is where I’m at so far...

[​IMG]

yes, that is electrical tape holding the snorkel on... for now, the snorkel it's self was made from an axial dingo driveshaft, a traxxas rustler steering bell crank, the top square piece was from an rc snowmobile, and the lens on the top was from an axial light bucket... that’s what I call recycling! lol

[​IMG]

I made the cb radio out of a piece of lego, a spring from a clicky pen, and from part of an axial receiver box, topped off with some hockey tape! haha, oh and the fire extinguisher in the back window I made from part of a Christmas tree stand!

[​IMG]

I thought the spare tire needed something to hold it down nice and tight

[​IMG]

the painting took forever! at least 14 days, I just free handed it with some rattle cans

[​IMG]

the winch and bumper I got from RC4wd, I think it looks perfect with the land rover body

[​IMG]

I shortened the wheel base of the honcho by cutting the aluminum links and re-threading the inside holes

[​IMG]

currently this truck does not run, I am still on the fence about the electronics, I want to throw in a 35t tekin system with the fxr but I'm worried that it won't be fast enough, I'm going to use a futaba 4pl radio for the winch and lights, along with a 2075 traxxas servo, everything will be water-proofed

[​IMG]

I decided to mount the battery up front, I wanted to use li-po’s... err, I mean li-fe's, but there is a limited amount of room up front, so I am stuck with using a 6 cell nimh 4500mah battery... at least the weight distribution is scale, lol it is sooooo nose heavy!

[​IMG]

the mud flaps I made from an old belt, and that ladder was from ... um, I honestly don't know where it came from? but I thought it looked cool, and lastly the mirrors I made by cutting up a CD

[​IMG]

thanks for lookin! this build is far from done, and I can't wait to see what it looks like covered in mud!
    :haveaniceday:

#1 rcjoe, Mar 18, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2012
  2. Crankbait

Crankbait Think...
    ELiTE MEMBER

Nice build, the bumpers do look perfect with that body.

3. Danboard

Danboard Friendly ENFORCER
    SUPER MODERATOR

Man, that rig looks awesome, rcjoe! The scale look that it brings is just fantastic!

I find the LandRover body to be the most scale looking of all the hard bodies out there, just perfect! You did a really good job on yours!

:want:

4. rcjoe

ELiTE MEMBER

Thanks Crankbait! I thought that front bumper would look good, it was 40$, but the all-metal construction really sold it for me
    :)

5. rcjoe

ELiTE MEMBER

thanks Danboard! yes, scale appearance was the main priority for this build, I'm glad to know I picked the right body to base this build on!

6. Greenie

Greenie VillAge iDioT
    ELiTE MEMBER

BRILLIANT DUDE!! absolutely bloody LOVE it !!!!!
    all the D90's popping up every where is AWESOME!!!!!!
    SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO WANT ONE!!!!!

7. rcjoe

ELiTE MEMBER

thanks Greenie! I know, there are land rovers popping up all over the place! lol hopefully this landy isn't like the others, RC4wd must be making some big $$$
    :seriousbusiness:

#7 rcjoe, Mar 19, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2012
  8. jenkins23

jenkins23 Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

wow dude great job so far. it looks awsome and i like how you used ur imagination when making some of the diff scale accesories and mirrors out of cds!!! genious!!! great job very creative... you would never know you didnt buy everything from a store.. cant wait for more on this build

9. rcjoe

ELiTE MEMBER

Thanks Jenkins! yes I thought I needed to include some more home made things in my build's, I really wanted to make something stand out from the massive crowd of land rover D-90's out there, I think I did a pretty good job so far, haven't seen any other camo landy's yet lol... oh and the CD thing, yea that's what happens when it's -25C outside and I'm stuck in the house all day... I get a little crazy haha

10. jenkins23

jenkins23 Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

well you have done an excellent job making it stand out man.. it looks awsome.. and buddy i know how you feel, the weather is getting warmer by the day but for the last 4 months its been minus 10 to minus 30 everyday and my shed doesnt get to warm!! even with a space heater its just to cold!! lol keep up the great work man!1 what did you make you snorkle out of??

11. vonclod

vonclod Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

nicely done dude it looks great, get it running and shoot some vid

12. StevenJJ

StevenJJ New Member

Love the ropes, expedition style.

13. rcjoe

ELiTE MEMBER

alright, it's been way too long since the last post, right now all I can do is show pictures, I will go into more detail later, but for now just enjoy the pics of this landy, it is sooo close to being finished, just a few more little problems to overcome

[​IMG]

I think it looks like a 1/24 scale in this picture

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

hey! someone shot bullet holes through the mud flaps!!

[​IMG]

this picture reminds me of the top gear Bolivia special, when they tried to get their cars off a floating raft

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I decided to make my own chassis mounted steering system, it works alright for now, it just can't steer very well to the left, lol

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

that's all for now, this rover has changed a lot since my last post! didn't even notice that until now

#13 rcjoe, May 28, 2012
    Last edited: May 28, 2012
  14. Greenie

Greenie VillAge iDioT
    ELiTE MEMBER

thats wicked man!!!love it, love it, LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

15. SPlat

SPlat Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Really sweet, personally i like how ya used random parts and pieces to make this. Something about that paint job I really like... Good job!!!

16. rcjoe

ELiTE MEMBER

hello everyone! I can share some more info on this land rover now, first off I finally finished the painting, oh it must have taken 7-8 touch up paint jobs which eventually just turned into me painting the whole thing over again with a paint brush! not what I had in mind but I'm totally thrilled with the result

[​IMG]

I coated the whole body with clear decal bonder to try and make the body more scratch resistant, just as an experiment, but it worked really well, and it gave the body a nice reflective scale look too!

[​IMG]

I also coated the fenders with hockey tape for better durability from scratches and tire rub

[​IMG]

next the interior went in, I spent a lot of time painting that as well, I still think it needs some more work to be perfect

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I also coated the interior with hockey tape to give it a nice cloth like texture without actually using cloth, again I think it worked out well, and it made hiding the light wires really easy!

[​IMG]

17. WeeManWTF

WeeManWTF Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Holy crap dude, this is amazing.

18. rcjoe

ELiTE MEMBER

next up I tried to raise the rock sliders up a bit towards the body, here's a before and after picture

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

after that, the chassis mounted steering servo went in, it still doesn't turn very well to the left, no matter what I do... I'm just going to ignore it now haha

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

if it can articulate a paint can, it can articulate a rock

[​IMG]

upgraded the front drive shaft to an MIP CVD, here's the old one next to the beefy MIP

[​IMG]

next up I changed the foams inside the rc4wd mud thrashers, I needed the tires super soft for dirt/sand climbing

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

of course at least one screw has to be stripped, lucky I only needed to take off one side of the rim, muahahaha

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

19. rcjoe

ELiTE MEMBER

if you think this is amazing, just wait until you see the video of this thing tomorrow! thanks for your comment WeeMan

20. WeeManWTF

WeeManWTF Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Stoked for it!!