1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rear diff issue?

Discussion in 'Newbie Q & A' started by Btngu2, Aug 13, 2016.

1. Monkeypiarat

Monkeypiarat Worlds formost authority on my own opinion
    ELiTE MEMBER

as for bumping an old thread .....
    its your thread and you opened the door ..
    so I just wanted to walk through it...
    there are many old threads that are meant to be bumped ....
    http://www.rcsparks.com/forum/threads/another-day-in-the-life-of-the-rc-freak.36187/
    I think that it should be the call of the Original Poster ....
    a lot of times when a person asks for help and fix the problem ...
    they take a walk and don't return to the thread ... and then you would need to ask to find out if ...
    there is a preference on bumping that old thread...
    that being said .... if I ran across an old thread or even very old thread ....
    if it was a build thread .. I would only add to the thread if I strictly stayed on subject ...
    and did not take away from the original OP intent of the thread ...
    and I feel like there is a difference in how one might feel ...
    about a prized build thread and the content added or bumped ...
    an a thread that was asked and answered ...
    if there is any doubt just start a new thread in the correct category ...
    but if it is your thread You own it so to speak ...
    or if you find an old thread that you feel will help you get your foot in the door to fix your stuff ..
    add a statement on your similarity ... then add a link . saying have a look or help..
    even in my most prized thread I would never be offended by a link that did not clutter or over take the thread...
    after all there are several kinds of threads ... Build ...fix ...and keep this going ..shout out.......;)
    so pleas forgive my rant in case the op has not fixed the original problem and this thread has become a stepping stone ... I believe that communication and feedback is the key ...
    some times help is where we find it if we are not sure where to look..
    thanks to @Btngu2 for allowing us to participate ......
    are you still good while we watch your thread and wait for you to post or request ?;)
    now as you are the OP this is your thread and you can bump and bump all you want ..
    and nobody has the right to hate you bumping your own thread .. its your thread :)

#81 Monkeypiarat, Oct 21, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 21, 2016
    scalemadness likes this.
  2. Btngu2

Btngu2 Active Member

What would be the best "cheap" setup? I want to be able to engage rear steer independently. Like leave the front locked and steer rear, lock the back and steer front, and be able to engage both. I bought two winches and want to be able to run them all on the go. Seems to me, the more channels you get, the higher the cost.

3. Btngu2

Btngu2 Active Member

I don't mind rants, like RC, I'm new to forums also. If anyone has anything to add to my thread, feel free to post. Any information will be appreciated. Just like everything else that can be built or upgraded, there are different ideas and ways to do it, so I have no problem reading all suggestions.

Monkeypiarat likes this.
  4. Monkeypiarat

ELiTE MEMBER

I don't know what the cheapest is but I can tell you that I went with a flysky RX/TX that has dual sticks and six channels and it was about 59 bucks ....
    https://www.amazon.com/FlySky-Chann...s-t6+6-channel+radio+transmitter+and+receiver
    you might be able to run your rear steer and both winches from that...

5. scalemadness

scalemadness Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

I think the flysky gt3 pistol radio with a hack will get you 6 channels and be around $130

6. Btngu2

Btngu2 Active Member

I'm looking at a sanwa 6 channel stick. Not sure if it's good, because it don't have a lot of reviews. Now I have to order another set of drive shafts. Do Not Buy 3racing driveshafts.

7. Btngu2

Btngu2 Active Member

I'm looking at a set of mip shafts. Do they need the pin retainer? The 3racing failed where the pin goes in. Also another question lol. I am getting a used slash 4x4. He said it needs work, but everything is still stock. He said it's too fast to trail with. My question is, can't it be set up for trail with a little crawl? It's not a true crawler, so I don't expect it to climb a cliff. And, I also got a new, unopened dig kit as a bonus.

Monkeypiarat likes this.
  8. Monkeypiarat

ELiTE MEMBER

IT depends on what your definition of TRAIL is ...
    and more importantly what is your trail....
    there are different types of trails and each of us has their own or several of their own...
    what matters is are you able to accomplish what your needs are on your trail/trails..
    what is an easy trail for one is a hard way to go for an other....
    will you make your RC get through to the end of your trail ....
    my stone 10 crawler will go place where I can not go with my bandit rally car...
    even though they share much of the same trail.. for the most part...
    as long as you are being reasonable in you expectations ...and you are happy ....
    you can drive on any trail you want ....
    True Genius will always break the rules ......
    and Crazy will do the same thing over and over expecting different results every time...
    only you can know if the slash 4x4 will be ok on your trail ...:)
    just don't forget to post pictures and video....
    if you don't get it in picture or on video ,,,, it is almost like it never happened...;)

#88 Monkeypiarat, Oct 22, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2016
    Little Rascle likes this.
  9. Btngu2

Btngu2 Active Member

I'm still trying to figure the pictures out. I made a photo bucket account, but don't know how to get them here. I was told by another member in a message, that if I use the mountain in the top, I can upload straight from my phone, but when I click it, it wants a ur!. On the trail I will be running, it is untraveled wooded area. Just a lot of small branches, leafs, and water. I live in wv, so I have a lot of area like that. So I think I just need a top speed of maybe 13? And waterproof alo

Little Rascle likes this.
  10. Btngu2

Btngu2 Active Member

I got an old picture set as my profile picture. That is the emaxx and ax10 I have. As you can tell, the ax10 was not taken care of. The locker had been permanently looked by him using JB weld. It still don't look pretty, but I'm not worried about looks at this time. How do a upload from my phone straight to here?

11. Monkeypiarat

ELiTE MEMBER

12. Monkeypiarat

ELiTE MEMBER

if the MIP shafts have the spring ring pin retainer ....YES you will need the pin retainer ...
    if it helps you ,,,, you could always get some 1/2 inch shrink tube ,,,
    and shrink it around the hub where the retainer is...
    to help hold the retainer on pin and in place better...:)

#92 Monkeypiarat, Oct 22, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2016
  13. Btngu2

Btngu2 Active Member

Wow, that's a simple yet brilliant. I never would have thought about that.

14. Btngu2

Btngu2 Active Member

[​IMG] redcat diff modified for scx10 locker when I first got it and didn't know it had redcat diffs. Thumbs up to @Monkeypiarat for the post on uploading pictures.

Monkeypiarat likes this.
  15. Monkeypiarat

ELiTE MEMBER

Btngu2 likes this.
  16. lout

lout Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    I have seen some where hear that a friend of a member has a slash 4x4 trail rig. Im' not sure how he has modified it, however what I would do is to at least lock the rear diff (not sure whether they can take a heavy grease to lock up the diff to almost lock the rear diff), put proper trail tyres on it to make it look the part and also put a higher turn motor in it to provide more torque and less speed.

But it can be done.

Little Rascle and Monkeypiarat like this.
  17. Btngu2

Btngu2 Active Member

On the tires, I think I'm going with 1.9 ripsaw. I have them on my ax10 and they do ok, and it's something I have laying around. I need to find more information on locking the diffs. Someone told me traxxas actually sales a lock kit, but I haven't looked for one yet. I'm trying to sale the old emaxx for part money. Emaxx is just a little too fast for my style. Still trying to find out what to do with my dig kit. I was told if I'm going to use 4wheel steering, then the dig is about dead weight.

lout likes this.
  18. Btngu2

Btngu2 Active Member

[​IMG] that's the emaxx

sweet rc likes this.
  19. Btngu2

Btngu2 Active Member

Little update/ new problem. The scorpion was doing really good and found out a few local guys had a get-together to climb and trail. Climbing was fun and successful. However, the trail part, had a creek crossing that was about a foot deep. My rig was never waterproof but I wanted to follow the pack. The truck got about half way in and stopped dead in its tracks. As I was walking to get it, the truck started moving at a low speed and continued to go without my command. One of the guys caught it on the other side. Unhooked the battery for a few minutes then hooked it back up and poof, the savox servo was fried. Luckily one guy thought a head and had a spare as-2? Anyhow, my new problem is I have a random twitch. It is not often. It will randomly jump forward like a wide open throttle burp. What's the issue?

20. Monkeypiarat

ELiTE MEMBER

if the components were completely under water ....
    I would check to see if any have water inside ... The ESC or receiver...
    and any that are wet put in a jar and cover them with rice to see if you can draw the water out...

scalemadness likes this.