1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Recommend me a RC Simulator

Discussion in 'Pilots Lounge' started by Magnat007, Apr 27, 2013.

1. Magnat007

Magnat007 Proud SCX10 Owner
    ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    Before I dive into the expensive World of RC Flying I would like to know what a reasonable cost RC Simulator would cost..
    I mean I know RealFlight costs like $300... I am more looking into something priced around the $150 MAX range..
    That would have to include The Software and Controller (USB)

2. memphis m3z

memphis m3z Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

The older versions are less expensive and still very nice simulation

3. memphis m3z

ELiTE MEMBER

It won't let me copy the link but eBay has a lot of them

4. Magnat007

ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    I just jumped on Ebay and all I can see is Realflight 6 and they don't come with a controller.
    Or they come with a controller at around $397 !!!!
    I don't want a Spectrum DX9 !!!!
    All I am after is something to practice on lol...

5. memphis m3z

ELiTE MEMBER

6. ForkliftJeff

ForkliftJeff Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

I've got the Phoenix Simulator. It works awesome, looks great and comes with a radio at a decent price. I bought mine when it was still version 3 but as soon as I installed it upgraded to V4. RTM40R5510 - Phoenix R/C Pro Simulator V4.0 w/DX5e @ Great Hobbies
    You can download a demo to see how it runs on your cpu. The first person view part of the demo would crash on my old cpu but I bought it anyway and turned the video quality down so it worked. But now with my new laptop it works perfect at high quality.
    Phoenix model flight simulation :: Welcome
    Phoenix model flight simulation :: Demo

7. Magnat007

ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    I still need a Radio.. As the only things I have are a 2-channel pistol grip
    I was thinking more along the lines of Flysky... Not Spectrum lol ..

8. helidude

helidude New Member

One great thing about Phoenix is updates are free. It comes with a cable for Spektrum out of the box. If you want to use something else make sure you get the proper cable. There is wireless 3rd party adapter's out now as well.

9. Magnat007

ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    Well I took a Risk and for $40... I got a Skyartech 8-Channel controller with FMS.. OK, its not brilliant but for $40 I am not expecting much..
    Its Just a USB Controller not an actual aircraft controller. I didn't want to go spending oodles of Money to find out I hated it..

[​IMG]

10. MdBruin

MdBruin New Member

I have used the FMS software and it's very basic. You can get a general idea of flying and how to control a rc model plane/helicopter.
    If you want to take the next step, invest into the Phoenix software and a compatible controller (spectrum/futuba/etc.) which has enough channels to control a real airplane/helicopter

11. CoolKD

CoolKD New Member

I know RealFlight is priced pretty high, but if you really want close to the real experience it is the way to go if you ask me.
    I am an active Heli flyer and use RealFlight 6,5.
    It depends really what you want out of a simulator. If you just want to train up you muscle memory you can use almost anything, but if you really want to use it as a tool and fly models that really exists to get the feel of them, you really need a simulator that reflects the correct handling and how it behaves in the air. RealFlight has one of the best if not the best physics and is very close to real feel and behavior in the air on any model.
    I have used RealFlight for 4 years now, started out with Version 4,5 and then upgraded to 6,5. Upgrading does not cost mush because what your rally paying is the USB remote that comes with the starter kit. The radio is nice to. You can also use the radio you fly with in real life on the simulator as long it is a JR, Spectrum or futaba with a trainer port.

12. Giggawattz

Giggawattz Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

I really enjoy phoenix, because I like the horizon hobby / blade / etc models that they have. Also you can get it packaged either with a dx5 or dx6i at a reasonable price.

13. RustyWrench

RustyWrench ...I Always Edit...
    ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    We use Phoenix RC v4.0 it's budget orientated, free update, lots of programmable variables, very realistic flight characteristics... I picked up a Spektrum DX4e for $40 (I recommend the DX5 or 6, then you can drop bombs and retract landing gear, with the DX4 I can do either one or the other not both) at my LHS, that brings the cost to the $150 range...

We currently have 84 Heli's; Blade, Elign, JR Vibe, Thunder Tiger, Ely-Q Vision, Outrage, E-Sky to name afew...
    88 Planes; Park Zone, Hangar 9, E-Flight, Hobby Zone...ect You should see my 7 year old son flying the jets... Man he puts me to shame...lol...
    Four 3D Infinity Scapes, Twenty Nine 2D flying sites, Ten User Created Flying Sites...
    I can change the weather, wind direction, layouts, views including CockPit, flight recorder, competition sims, online multi player... Free updates you can use you TX on both the sim and on your first air craft...
    I forgot to mention you can edit your air craft; change Vertical Drag, Yaw Inertia, Motors, Servo's,, fine tune things like Thrust, Smoke and Streamers to name afew... There are many more...

I believe the Phoenix is the best bang for your buck...JMHO

I have talked to a lot of pilots at the local RC airfield and they recommend either the Phoenix or Real Flight...

Dean

#13 RustyWrench, Jul 9, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2013
  14. MrSTUDofRC

MrSTUDofRC Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Try out Phoenix Flight Sims - its around 150 for the software and a Dx5.

#14 MrSTUDofRC, Oct 21, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 21, 2013
  15. VoyageRC

VoyageRC Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Any MAC compatible?

16. MrSTUDofRC

MrSTUDofRC Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

17. 00whynot

00whynot Moderator
    Staff Member MODERATOR

Media:
  18. DodgeZippy

DodgeZippy Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    Did you find a low cost simulator ???

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

19. Magnat007

ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    Nope I did not..

Turns out you really do get what you pay for.
    Realflight is still one of the best simulators out there and it does cost alot but worth it.

FMS is OK but the graphics are substandard in this modern age and really doesnt cut it.. The ebay controller I bought also broke rather quickly

DodgeZippy likes this.
  20. 00whynot

00whynot Moderator
    Staff Member MODERATOR

Media:
    I purchased a $11 simulator from ebay without much expectations. It actuall works really well. Jist need your own remote. I run it off my turnigy 9xr. Came with something like 6 simulators. Imcliding realflight 6.5 and phoenix 4. Both are good enough to get the job done. The isb dongel had also worked with every drone sim ive found.

DodgeZippy likes this.