1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Redcat Ground Pounder

Discussion in 'Newbie Q & A' started by Questtut, Aug 3, 2014.

1. Questtut

Questtut New Member

I just recently purchased my first rc, for me and my son(age 5). We chose a 4wd, 4 wheel steer crawler, called the Redcat Ground Pounder. So far im happy with it, tho I had to make some quick changes to improve its usr. The motor seemed completely wrong, too fast and got very hot. I changed to a 35T which seems much better. I also had to upgrade to a higher capasity battery. Both seem like begginner changes. I want to continue to improve this rc.

My next probkem is tackling any future overheating problems. I bouhgt a fan and heat sink for the motor, but it needs a plug slot to power it and with the 4 wheel steer, all 3 slots of my reciever are full. I cannot find a 4 or 6 slot reciever for the lansu controller to upgrade to. Is there another way to easily connect the fan? And perhaps allow additional slots in case I need to add an ESC fan, or we decide to add lights?

Also, what scale do you feel I can get for a body change? It has a 1/10th pickup body on it, and my son really wants a school bus body. Thanks in adavnce for any help. I hope my son and I can find a club to join in NY to make this hobby more fun. We are building our own obstivle course in our yard, and driving in the mud and woods behind my house now. We have 35 acres to play on, with creeks and a pond. Lots of fun.

2. Grifter

Grifter Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Awesome choice on your alls first rc. As far as your problem wanting to run fans goes you might be best served by running that fan off of a separate little 9v battery. You could switch to a more expensive radio setup but the stock radio is awesome for 4wheel steer. You could also wire up another random receiver in parallel but that opens up a whOle other batch of problems. Of course changing your pinion and or spur gear could solve the whole problem to.

Either way happy trails and welcome to sparks. A ground pounder trail machine has been on my want list for awhile. Post up some pics!

3. Y2daT

Y2daT Over Powered RC
    ELiTE MEMBER

use a bec to power the extra goodies .... it connects directly to the car battery and gives a constant 6v to the receiver or whatever. Hobbywing 3A UBEC 5V 6V Max 5A Lowest RF Noise BEC S | eBay
    body choice will be between a 1/10 and a 1/14 but measure the wheel base to be sure it will look ok .
    if you want to add lots of remote goodies look into helicopter and air plane controllers and recivers as they offer lots of channels .... I have a devo 10 tx+rx giving me 10 channels to add what ever... so far I only have 4 wheel steering in my SCX-10 but plan to add a winch and some other goodies as time goes on. a devo -7 is a good choice also as it it modable to become a 9 channel tx
    with my tx i have 3 forward speeds mapped and the option to independently control the front and rear steering with both sticks or control all 4 with one stick

#3 Y2daT, Aug 3, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 3, 2014
  4. Greenie

Greenie VillAge iDioT
    ELiTE MEMBER

if the fan has a plug for the receiver in the car, use a "Y" harness to make and extra slot.
    like this one.....

ParkZone Servo Y-Harness: 3D2, T-28 [PKZ1063] | Radio Control - AMain.com

for the fact that the fan should only need power, and no signal, this would be fine. quick and cheap!!! Local hobby store should have in stock

as for the body, this on is for a T/E-Maxx......(just an example!!!)

TowerHobbies.com | Parma 1/10 Skool Bus .050 Clear Body T/E-Maxx

probably wont fit, but cool bodies are out there!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    (just can be a mongrel to find!!!!)

#4 Greenie, Aug 3, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 3, 2014
  5. CalvinJames

CalvinJames Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

I needed one of those Y harnesses... Thanks for the link :) will be going in my next order!

6. Questtut

Questtut New Member

Here are a few pictures I took of the Redcat Ground Pounder we bought, with its stock body. Once I buy and paint the bus body, I will post more of the changes. This is mostly still stock, just upgraded the motor, and added the cooling fan. I have found and plan to order the "Y" splitter for my fan, Thanks for all the great sudjestions. I may be buying a 2nd truck in a couple months. Any sudjestions of a good spair to this, say under $300 for a start, and can get extras as time goes on.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]