1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Redcat Vortex SS . Should I upgrade or sell

Discussion in 'Newbie Q & A' started by Cameron Haga, Dec 13, 2015.

1. Cameron Haga

Cameron Haga Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    I ended up putting my front differential on the back and am running it 2wd until my upgraded parts get here .

2. Y2daT

Y2daT Over Powered RC
    ELiTE MEMBER

lol that works .... make sure the bearings are not sloppy or locked up ... ( bad bearings may have been what caused the issue )

3. Cameron Haga

ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    One of the bearings was locked up . And that side of the diff housing was warbled out bad . I oiled it and got it unstuck . Monday I'm going to get the Wraith Spawn . Dude at the hobby shop let me drive his to see if I liked it . Seams plenty fast . They have a crawler group they invited me to join .

4. Cameron Haga

ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    I know this might be a stupid question but how do I load a picture into a thread ? Anyone

5. rcnut'14

rcnut'14 certified rc addict
    ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    hey welcome to the forum! cant believe I missed this thread lol.

you can upload directly to the site. this is done by going to the "media" section in the toolbar at the top of the page. from there its pretty self explanatory.

I personally upload all my pics to photobucket, then use photobucket to host them onto the site. that way im not slowing down the site( not that a few pics will matter anyway)

6. Y2daT

Y2daT Over Powered RC
    ELiTE MEMBER

there are several ways to . You can upload pictures to your gallery then from there to the post ...
    or you can use a photo host like photobucket . ( it is smart phone friendly ) once on photobucket click on a pic to enlarge it . there will be 4 boxes to the left of the image . left click the bottom box .(it will copy)
    come back to the thread and paste the image code you just copied . ( the pics shows up after you press the post reply button.
    also if you edit a post with your smart phone using tappatalk . you can insert images directly from the phone. there will be a camera button that will let you take a pic to insert or chose from your phones gallery .
    some pictures you find online will have a copy url option if you right click them .
    while posting if you press the button inbetween the smiley face and film reel it will let you paste the url ,and post the image .
    some other pictures found online you can right click then press copy ...then come back here and paste .

7. Cameron Haga

ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
  8. Cameron Haga

ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
  9. Y2daT

Y2daT Over Powered RC
    ELiTE MEMBER

I was hoping those were the pics you wanted to post .... congrats on your new Spawn :graffiti:

10. Cameron Haga

ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    Gonna go see how dirty I can get her tomorrow . Stoked !

11. Y2daT

Y2daT Over Powered RC
    ELiTE MEMBER

12. Cameron Haga

ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    Thanks man . I was gonna ask you a few questions . The guy at the shop said he recommended getting 2s Lipo when the box says it's 3s capable . Is it true that 3s makes it get too hot ?

13. Y2daT

Y2daT Over Powered RC
    ELiTE MEMBER

you will strip the idler gear ... and it will increase the motor wear .. but replacement motors can be as cheap as 10.00
    if you beef up the transmission with Robinson racing gears .. you will be transmission ready for brushless or 6s brushed ... 3s will no longer be a threat. you can wait for the stock motor to die or get a 35T motor ... it and 3s is a awesome combo .
    idler
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Robinson-Ra...240421?hash=item25a385bb65:g:bKoAAOSwmrlU1Dxm
    .transmission diff gear
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Robinson-Ra...328761?hash=item234e2b7ef9:g:vhcAAOSwpDdVGdaT
    I check my motor/esc temp by touch . if i cannot hold my finger on it for 5 seconds it is too hot .
    if the motor is running hot ...you can gear down by getting a 1 or 2 T smaller pinion. this will help cool it down .

14. Cameron Haga

ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    That's a nice gift and a good way to spend quality time with the kiddo .

15. Y2daT

Y2daT Over Powered RC
    ELiTE MEMBER

thanks ...iv got just round 280 in it .... im running it 2S or nimh if I am not there. because i don't want her to be able to break it ..
    also did you get a lipo charger ?
    .and if you never had a lipo ...google "lipo safety" .
    they can be dangerous if miss handled ....and will be garbage if you let the voltage get too low in them .
    also if they are damaged or leaking they are a fire hazard ... or left fully charged for several weeks ..
    when you put them away for while . you put them at storage charge ... which is in between full and time to recharge ..then they are safe and will not go dead for a long time .
    It is also a good idea to keep the lipos when not in use in a vented fire proof container ... like a old cooking pot with a couple holes in the lid ...or clay flower pot ...
    This is just a precaution ... Just in case . the battery did flame up ...the fire would be contained and not burn the house down ... it is rare but has happened .

#35 Y2daT, Dec 21, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 21, 2015
  16. Cameron Haga

ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    I do still have to wp everything before I get too dirty . Good call . I probably would have overlooked that and it's real wet here on the Oregon coast . I'm guessing that rc sparks probably has some how too videos on water proofing ?

17. Cameron Haga

ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    For some reason I just got all that about the lipo battery. I didn't know any of that . I did get a lipo charger and 1 2s 25c 4000 mah . I'll read up on all the proper safety .

Y2daT likes this.
  18. rcnut'14

rcnut'14 certified rc addict
    ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    waterproofing is pretty simple.

for the esc: most esc's you can just dip in plastidip. if the heatsink comes off easily, then take that off first.
    on the other hand, what esc does the wraith come with? the sidewinder rebrand( I think it's the ae-2) should be waterproof.

lipos: they're easy. just dip the whole thing in plastidip. make sure you get the base of the wires covered.

radio RX: if the wraith doesn't have a waterproof RX box( im not sure if they do or not) then the easiest thing is the put the RX in a balloon, with the wires coming out the end. then, zip tie the end around the wires so water cant get in.

*after plasidipping, hang the items to dry. I usually use a clothesline.

19. Y2daT

Y2daT Over Powered RC
    ELiTE MEMBER

Ae2 is not water proof...he has the ae5 it is good to go. Just needs to do the receiver. I would end bother with the servo. Run it till it quits...then replace with a savox wp 0230
    The axles and transmission need grease inside them to keep the water out. I preffer white lithium grease. Some use blue marine grease.

20. Cameron Haga

ELiTE MEMBER

Media: