1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Returning to the hobby after a long absence.

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself!' started by Mal (Bull) Brashaw, Jan 14, 2016.

1. Mal (Bull) Brashaw

Mal (Bull) Brashaw New Member

Hi everyone.
    My name name is Mal. I have been out of the hobby for 25 years and would like to get back in. I live I n Brisbane Australia. I would love to build my own car but I amhaving trouble finding a store in Australia that does the kit form. I have also noticed there is a much larger range of product in Us or on line. Do you have any suggestions for a online site that might be good.

2. Y2daT

Y2daT Over Powered RC
    ELiTE MEMBER

A-main is awesome ,asia tees has the deals ... ebay is where i rc shop mostly .
    what kind or style rc car do you want to build ?
    Lots have changed in 25 years ... no more giant antennas on the transmitter and no am crystals ...
    now we can have unlimited amounts of rc in one area with no interference . using the 2.4 ghz setups.
    Brushless motors are avalibile now and out last brushed motors by ( not sure all the brushless ones still work ) also they are way faster .... there are guys making go fast rigs that go 100mph ...ive seen 142mph on youtube videos ...
    nimh batteries have been out done by Lipo batterys ...faster charge times and more power in a lighter package ...
    Tamiyia still has kits of all kinds ...
    Welcome to rc sparks and back to RC :)

Mal (Bull) Brashaw likes this.
  3. darkside0914

darkside0914 Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    i shop ebay and rc planet mostly with a purchase every now and then from rc4wd and rpp hobbies

4. Mal (Bull) Brashaw

Thanks
    Everything you said about the past is true. You forgot the doing cicles when the rc got out of range. Or if you did any mods you battery run time was about 10mins tops.

Thanks for the tips. I like the multi functional rc's like Summits or a wraith.

5. darkside0914

ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    if you like the wraith , you'd probably love the rr10 bomber, same basic setup but with much better shocks, and transmission. it has a 2 speed kit available for it and comes with all steel gears. waterproof ae5 lipo ready esc. will run up to a 3cell lipo.

6. Mal (Bull) Brashaw

I have never heard of the bomber. Thanks i will have to check it out

7. Mal (Bull) Brashaw

I am travelling to England in march, stopping in Singapore for 3 days on the way over. Would it be better to wait and pick it up there.

8. darkside0914

ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    the axial rr10 bomber goes for $400 us online. http://www.rcplanet.com/axial-rr10-bomber-rock-racer-rtr-axiax90048_p/axiax90048.htm not sure what that would be in Australian currency. another good one, if you want a kit, would be the axial yeti http://www.rcplanet.com/axial-110-yeti-4wd-kit-axiax90025_p/axiax90025.htm, personally, I would go with a rtr over a kit for my 1st rc in over 2 decades, help you learn more about the modern rc cars before diving in and going for a kit where you must buy all the electronics separately, but that's just me. as for picking one up in Singapore as long as its a genuine product and not a stripped down shell with cheap parts put on to replace the good ones, or a cheap counterfeit of the real thing and you can get it cheaper, i'd say go for it as long as there won't be any trouble getting it back home.

#8 darkside0914, Jan 15, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2016
  9. Y2daT

Y2daT Over Powered RC
    ELiTE MEMBER

the summit can be a monster basher .... a casle sidewinder 1/8th 2200 kv combo and 4S will make it crazy fast and fun or MM2/2200kv combo .... the motor combo's will handle 6S but it get's silly at that point unless you are doing speed runs .
    you could do the same to a bomber , but would need to upgrade the drive shafts ...... for a bomber a sv3 sct combo on 3s would be awesome but the bl systems do not crawl great ..if you barley mash the trigger they gitter ... but when you pull it they scream .
    a castle 2200kv 6S combo can reach speeds above 100mph

10. Bubba J

Bubba J Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Glad to see you back in the hobby. Keep us posted on what you end up with........:Bouaaaaah:

11. Mal (Bull) Brashaw

i am now in 2 minds i like the bomber but I like the body of the Ford Raptor. i have been watching some of the scale RC truck adventure trail days they have been showing on RC Sparks. i really like the idea but would also like some speed for sand and street.

12. Mal (Bull) Brashaw

what are tge Rc you guys are running

13. Magnat007

Magnat007 Proud SCX10 Owner
    ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    Sadly down under, Its better and cheaper to shop online.
    Postage cost are a BIG killer...
    I bought my SCX10 when the Aussie Dollar was level pegging the US dollar and got my SCX10 kit for like $250 when Hobbyco still wanted $320..

I can recommend Asiatees for parts.. delivery is usually 8-9 days mainly due to Australia post.
    Trailing is pretty big down under... I mean come on, We have the BUSH(outback)..

Sand and street... Slash 4x4 might be something to look into...
    Since sand gets into everything.... your going to be doing alot of pull down and servicing just to get it back out again..

Vaterra also do a Ford Raptor which you might also want to look at..
    [​IMG]

Y2daT likes this.
  14. DOC' RCs

DOC' RCs New Member

Hey, I'm getting a new start as well after a 15 year absence, and so glad to be having fun again,,, good luck in your search, looks like a few people have already given you the best answers to your choices, so I just wanted to say, welcome back, hope you have lots of fun...

Magnat007 likes this.
  15. darkside0914

ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    if you want more speed there's the axial yeti score truck, or any of the short course rig available, personally I like the 4x4 ecx torment or ruckus. both run for $240 U.S.C. both are water proof come with a spectrum rx/tx and are basically ready to run out of the box, just need to charge the battery and go. and there's several raptor bodies available that will fit either one.