1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

running 3S in 2S system

Discussion in 'General Electronics' started by spikex41, Sep 29, 2018.

1. spikex41

spikex41 New Member

hey is there a BEC I can get to put between my battery and ESC so I can use my 3S lipos in my 2S esc and motor? I bought the losi night crawler thinkin it was 3S got home and realized its only 2S, trying to find a cheap alternative to run my 3S batteries in it other then upgrading to 3S system or buying all new 2S lipos. if anyone knows of one plz provide me the name or a link to it would be appreciated thanks.

walter likes this.
  2. walter

walter Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

welcome to the forums. someone will be here soon that can help you

spikex41 and sweet rc like this.
  3. scalemadness

scalemadness Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

The easiest and best way to deal with your situation is to just replace your esc really for $50 you can pick up a hobbywing 1080wp tons of settings includes a program card and has an adjustable bec. Dont think of it as an expense but as an investment

spikex41 and walter like this.
  4. RustyWrench

RustyWrench ...I Always Edit...
    ELiTE MEMBER

Media:

The best solution is what @scalemadness said. @spikex41 Which ESC do you have in your Night Crawler currently?

I have run many 2s ESC's on 3s over the years some can take it, others fry quickly. I have found in my experience that if I stay at half throttle or less most of the time and only pin it once in a while the 2s ESC seems to last quite well. If you run full throttle most of the time they tend to fry fairly quickly.

Disclaimer time. If you try to run your ESC on 3s when it's rated for 2s and it fries, remember you made the decision to try it. Not me, I am not recommending that others do what I have done. I am simply stating my experience.

Dean

spawn and walter like this.
  5. summitnut

summitnut Super Moderator
    SUPER MODERATOR

Media:
    I ran a ae 2 (2s)rated,on 3s by disabling the onboard bec( Red power wire disconnected on esc wire) and set a castle bec to 6v to power the receiver.
    NOT all esc are the same way though

Mountains s can't stop me
    They have tried

6. GoochiFPV

GoochiFPV New Member

No normal BEC is going to be able to provide enough current to allow you to use a 3s in a 2s rig.
    Your main issue normally in this isn't the volts going in (they will cause issues if way too much) ibut the current being drawn at the higher voltages. One option we use in quads is to be a throttle limit on. Say of around 69%, then youre never going too high in the throttle range to cause problems.
    Also installing a capacitor will help lots to protect it from reverse surges.