1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rustler bult for sand

Discussion in 'Bashing Chat' started by rcbasher1979, Sep 9, 2014.

1. rcbasher1979

rcbasher1979 New Member

I have a traxxas rusty that I want to turn into a sand only vehicle. It is the older black chassis with rpm castors front and rear, metal geared trans, metal outputs on the rear axles, metal steering arms and castor links with rpm ball ends and a hpi savage flux xs brushless system (vektor 4000 kv and vapor pro esc). It has a stock spur gear (86t I think) and a 19t pinion. also has proline sand paws rear and proline the edge up front. it doesn't have the speed and performance I want it to have when I go to the beach and dunes. it get very warm after about 10 minutes. I generally run it on 2s but every once in a while 3s, but it gets warm on both. I want this to rip up the dunes with some impressive roosts and speed. Let me know any things to change with what it currently has no matter how small or large I just want this to be bada$$ and anything anyone can help to get it that way is appreciated.

2. LPRC

LPRC Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Do you have any sand tires?? Idk if the stock ones will be good on sand, proline sandpaws or whatever it's called are good

3. Antho11

Antho11 Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    I would suggest sticking with 3s Lipo you'll get better performance but becareful with the heat. If you want more power the next step would be get a more powerful morto and higher rated esc. If not you can experiment with gearing but then you start sacrificing top speed or acceleration. Make sure to clean it well after bashing because sand can cause a load of problems.

4. Goblintinker

Goblintinker Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Ok, first off a 60 amp esc will barely run a rustler on pavement let alone sand. you should be running at least 100-120amp esc in it and if your looking for crazy I would suggest going with either a 2100kv or a 2350kv 1/8th scale motor but you will have to trim the tranny case to make it fit.

Couple of quick suggestions:
    Turnigy 1/8th Scale 4 Pole Brushless Motor - 2100KV

Turnigy TrackStar 1/8th Sensored Brushless Motor 2350KV

Turnigy TrackStar 120A Brushless Short Course Truck ESC

Turnigy TrackStar GenII 120A Brushless Short Course Truck ESC

personally I would switch out the esc and then see about the motor , also here are some other suggestions for 1/10th motors

Turnigy TrackStar 9.5T Sensored Brushless Motor 4120KV (ROAR approved)

Trackstar 540 Size 4 Pole 5600KV Sensored Motor

just remember anything with exposed wire will have be water proofed for the beach

5. rcbasher1979

rcbasher1979 New Member

yes it currently has a set of proline sandpaws on it

6. rcbasher1979

rcbasher1979 New Member

Thanks for the suggestions. I found this on ebay and am thinking of buying...its 1/8 scale 2300kv and is factory waterproof! what kind of gearing should I run with this combo running at least a 3s maybe even 4s?

#6 rcbasher1979, Sep 9, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 9, 2014
  7. calvinsc10

calvinsc10 New Member

Get a different esc and one with a cooling fan too

8. LPRC

LPRC Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Fan and sand???? That will be a dead fan in minutes with all the sand build up there will be

9. Goblintinker

Goblintinker Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

15 - 23 tooth pinion and 54-64 tooth spur use the nitro spurs