1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scale Beast. 3.5t Brushless SCX10

Discussion in 'Scale Build Projects' started by jowilson275, Apr 13, 2011.

1. jowilson275

jowilson275 New Member

Okay, so I traded a touring chassis that I literally never used (the 2 years that I owned it) for a SCX10.

My STR-4 Pro 2 was pristine. It just wouldn't handle the 3.5t Xcelorin set up. I finally found a center drive shaft that would handle the torque and then the esc commited suicide. I put a VXL-3s combo on the chassis and traded for the SCX10.

The SCX10 I received was rough. Everything was caked in dirt and the axles were filled with mud. The previous owner showed it some love. But seeing as my favorite part of the hobby is building, I saw some entertainment ahead.

It was a RTR that was stretched to a wb of 12.5 inches. It had RC4WD 55t motor/Outcry esc, 110mm dual rate shocks, 2.2 OEM wheels, Rok Lox, Rock Crushers, Proline Masher 2000s, Axial Lockers, Hand Bro's 3-link (made into a 4-link), Dinky RC 4-link, 2 bodies (Dingo & Dodge Power Wagon), and a set of stock Axial 2.2 beadlocks.

I did a complete tear down and re-grease with new bearings and hardware were needed along with a new set of Junfac driveshafts. I bought a new Xcelorin esc for my now lonely 3.5t and after seeing all the RC Adventures T.T.C. vids, I had to try it.

I now have a fresh SCX10 with a 3.5t backed by a 2s 5000mah 40-50c and a Losi 2.4ghz. 13/87 gearing. Has no problem with a rolling wheelie and will probably make quite a pull or tug-o-war truck.

UPDATE:
    RC4WD SCX-10 CMS Kit

Just bought a black H2 body off of eBay. I should have it soon via usps priority. I am also awaiting the arrival of my Tough Armor winch bumper from RC4WD.

Next things to be purchased:
    Robinson Racing steel outdrive and idler.
    1.9 wheels/tires (more than likely RC4WD Pro10 Stamped steel & Dirt Grabbers)
    2.2 HPI Sand Throwers
    Tough Armor spare tire carrier
    35t motor

If anyone would be kind enough to offer a suggestion for a decent 35t motor, it would be much appreciated. I have heard integy has decent motors only because they don't actually make them.

Any suggestions?

Test Run Video

YouTube - 3.5t Brushless SCX10

#1 jowilson275, Apr 13, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2011
  2. RCSparks

RCSparks Administrator
    Staff Member ADMiNiSTRAToR SUPER MODERATOR

Media:
    OHH MAN!! AWESOME!! I always use a Tekin Motor bro.. never fail me.. been using them for years !

I sure hope you got some pics on the way!!

Keep up the Amazing work...

The Axial SCX10's are my favourite trail rig by far.. so versatile and can pretty much put up with anything you throw at it.

3. jowilson275

jowilson275 New Member

Well, I got some pics up. I knew that you were going to recommend Tekin lol.

4. RCSparks

RCSparks Administrator

Media:
    Sorry my friend! I had to remove the posts because they (the pics) were not working. Do you have a photobucket account?

its free, and hosts all of your pics :)

5. jowilson275

jowilson275 New Member

It's no problem. I do have a photobucket account. I will take care of it a bit later on tonight.

6. jowilson275

jowilson275 New Member

Here we go.
    Take two:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

BignBlue likes this.
  7. MRaxial

MRaxial Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

awesome man! this will be one of my next projects forsure.

8. RCSparks

RCSparks Administrator

Media:
    Hey Jo.. tell me about that servo setup bro.. it is very unique. How is the torque? Still pretty good mounted up high?

im interested to hear why you took it off of the axle housing.. or was it a point of innovation for you?

9. jowilson275

jowilson275 New Member

Thanks a lot, bro. It's a bit rough around the edges as it sits now.

But it holds up pretty well even though I still have stock gears inside the trans for now. But I do have the hardened spiral cut diffs and the JunFac d/s.

It is RC4WD's Chassis Mounted Servo (CMS) kit. It is typically done for the scale looks. The degree angle of the steering link looks severe but that was with the 110mm shocks fully extended. It looks better when the truck is at normal ride height.

It is the stock Axial servo (125oz-in). I have not noticed any loss of steering torque. Bump steer is only minimal when the driver front is raised. It is easily corrected.

#9 jowilson275, Apr 14, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2011
  10. jowilson275

jowilson275 New Member

Here's a couple more...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. jowilson275

jowilson275 New Member

See my full garbage can in the background? It's like school in summertime.... No class. Lol

12. jowilson275

jowilson275 New Member

I got my Tough Armor winch bumper in from RC4WD. Ten minute install. I put up a size comparison pic to the stock Honcho front bumper.

I got my H2 body in as well. I just need to mount/wire it and I will get pics up. I would like to get my 1.9's in first though.

I also moved the steering servo to the lower side of the CMS kit to lessen the angle at which the steering link was sitting. It looks better but now the posts that held the servo to the axle can now come up and hit the servo horn. I may just trim them off and fill the holes.

Heres the pics:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

13. Crawler Ted

Crawler Ted Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Excellent thread here ,,

Way to do work .
    It's going to look sweet and obviously have a retarded amount of power ,,
    Sounds about right .
    For a motor ,the 35t integy is a great trail rig motor ,they put out pretty good with 3s .
    A few more dollars you can go Tekin or Brood ,Holmes .
    My RC4wd Trail finder has the Chassis mounted servo as well and like you said it just gives a way more scale look .
    You have to put up with a little bump steer sometimes but looks cool .

14. jowilson275

jowilson275 New Member

I appreciate the props, Ted.

I actually was reading a thread this morning that you had posted in (something about "knocking the baby blue off" someone else's Honcho lol) and noticed the "Brood 35t x2" that you had listed and googled the 35t double set that they had put out as a limited run. I am sure they run pretty well.

When I get set up with a 35t it will be for the water/mud aspect of the trail rig hobby. I just didn't want to run my Xcelorin combo through that kind of stuff. Though the wheel speed delivered by it would be fun to experience.

Thanks for the ideas on the motors. I will probably go with the cheaper Integy motor. Only because it will be abused like a red-headed step child and I will not expect much longevity out of it's life.

As of now, I am playing with ideas of how to mount the H2 body. I am open to suggestions. I will post up more pictures soon.

#14 jowilson275, Apr 17, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2011